• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New York City Trip

Any ideas as far as bars?

Unfortunately, not really. The only thing I can offer is the Brother Jimmy's on 2nd Ave between 77th and 78th. I've heard the Bro. Jimmy's locations get super crowded, but they almost always show the Wake games on Saturdays. In fact, that's where the alumni gather to watch the games every week. Sorry I can't help more with the bars.

The only bars that I knew of in that area were shuttered after their building was condemned. If you're trying to catch the wake game brother jimmys is a good option and there are lots of locations.

as of last football season, the original brother jimmy's at 77th and 2nd ave was the spot where wake alums met up (sometimes as an official alumni event). i always liked the one on 92nd street better, but looking online it looks like that one may not be open anymore.

I was quite the regular at the Big Easy next to Blondie's for a year....

Blondie's has amaaaaaaaazing wings (luckily the one on the UWS is still open)

Anybody know what effects Sandy had on NYC as far leasure travel goes? Things look ok on TV but I don't want to get there and have problems in half the places I want to go to. Are the trains fully back up?

The UGa fan likes to stay in midtown? I'm stunned I tell you.

In general, the farther you are from midtown - the better off you are. Chelsea would be awesome, as would SoHo, Greenwich Village, East Village, Nolita or even Tribeca. There's a reason all the swank boutique hotels are in lower Manhattan.

Yeah, staying away from Midtown is generally an excellent idea.

Most of the places you would want to visit are up and running. Let me know if you decide to visit, because I can direct you to some epic banana pudding that you'd never have expected above the Mason-Dixon line.

You talking about Sugar Sweet Sunshine's? I know people talk about Magnolia's too, but I much prefer the one at SSS.

Anybody know what effects Sandy had on NYC as far leasure travel goes? Things look ok on TV but I don't want to get there and have problems in half the places I want to go to. Are the trains fully back up?

Yeah. Unless you're going to Rockaway or Staten Island then you're fine.

Yeah, staying away from Midtown is generally an excellent idea.

Most of the places you would want to visit are up and running. Let me know if you decide to visit, because I can direct you to some epic banana pudding that you'd never have expected above the Mason-Dixon line.

You're gonna need to tell me about this epic banana pudding. I'll be in NYC next weekend.

My God, yes it is from Sugar Sweet Sunshine. I haven't had a single thing of theirs that I haven't loved. The pumpkin pudding is also incredible, as are all of the cupcakes. You NEED to hit that place up. It's on Rivington St. a block north of the Delancey stop on the F train.

its fine now. was just there last week for work.

My wife and I need to kill three hours in NYC on Saturday morning. We'll be in Midtown East and probably done with breakfast at 10:00 then need to be back in Midtown East at 1:00 for lunch. The misses is interested in a boat tour or possibly walking tour. Anyone know of any good options that fit that window and location?

Tokyo is the most expensive city on the planet.

Where are y'all travelling from? My parents like to take the train up from Virginia. It's much more enjoyable than flying, but unfortunately isn't feasible from a lot of places. I use VRBO all the time for staying at the beach, but haven't ever looked into it for a vacation in a major city. So, I'm really not much help.

Suck it, DeaconCav:

Singapore most expensive. Oslo number 3 doe. Tokyo not in the top 10.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-most-expensive-cities-in-the-world-2015-3

Suck it, DeaconCav:

Singapore most expensive. Oslo number 3 doe. Tokyo not in the top 10.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-most-expensive-cities-in-the-world-2015-3

Boom ! DeaconCav Roasted !

boom-roasted-o.gif

Back