• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New York legalizes gay marriage

The opponents of gay marriage need to learn they are on the wrong side of history if not the wrong side of the moving public opinion. It will no be too long that we will look at the debate over gay marriage the same way we look at segregation now. Do you really want to be remembered like the segregationist are remembered?

Last edited:
I liked Bloomberg's statement about the four Republican members who voted for this.

Gay Rights will be this generation's civil rights movement.

The opponents of gay marriage need to learn they are on the wrong side of history if not the wrong side of the moving public opinion. It will no be too long that we will look at the debate over gay marriage the same way we look at segregation now. Do you really want to be remembered like the segregationist are remembered?

Excellent post.

Pos rep for you, sir.

Now that the Mets have the same rights as everyone else they can get back to baseball.

Sorry...could not resist.

The interesting thing about this is NY state has no residency requirment for getting a marriage. You can drive or fly in and get married that day.

I wonder what's going to happen when a couple comes to NY and get married then returns to another state. Also what happens when a couple moves from NY.

One thing people didn't think about in this issue is that according to the state budget office gay amrriage will add about $200M/year to the state's economy.

The way he did this and the fact that he has worked in a bipartisan way on other issues thus far makes Cuomo a real force for 2016. I'd have to say he and Hillary are the early leaders for the Dems.

Sweet. I'm so sick of hearing about this non-issue.

You are right it should be a non-issue. People should be free to marry who they want and we should be able to just get on with our lives and solve real issues. But as long as certain people make a big deal about it, it will be an issue. Everyone knows its going to be legal in all 50 states eventually, opponents of it are simply delaying the inevitable.

The interesting thing about this is NY state has no residency requirment for getting a marriage. You can drive or fly in and get married that day.

I wonder what's going to happen when a couple comes to NY and get married then returns to another state. Also what happens when a couple moves from NY.

One thing people didn't think about in this issue is that according to the state budget office gay amrriage will add about $200M/year to the state's economy.

The way he did this and the fact that he has worked in a bipartisan way on other issues thus far makes Cuomo a real force for 2016. I'd have to say he and Hillary are the early leaders for the Dems.

If I wanted the best leader I would pick Mark Warner. Keep in mind 2016 is so far away and is a crapshoot predicting at this point.

Are we going to freak out about this 44 more times? I just am irritated that people meddle in things that don't have an adverse effect on them at all.

My question is, what will be the social debate of my generation?

It is early but Cuomo is running. I don't see him waiting until 2024.

Are we going to freak out about this 44 more times?

My question is, what will be the social debate of my generation?

If this was about the 18-30 generation it would be done in all fifty states. It's more about a bunch of dinosaurs who don't realize they are extinct.

It is early but Cuomo is running. I don't see him waiting until 2024.

Maybe. Let's see if he gets the keynote for the DNC in Charlotte. That has been a good indicator as of late.

My early money is on Warner getting the Dem Nomination, but let's face it the Republicans will have a more entertaining primary.

If this was about the 18-30 generation it would be done in all fifty states. It's more about a bunch of dinosaurs who don't realize they are extinct.

If it were solely up to the 18-30 year olds, it would be. But one of the underlying issues is the power struggle between the 18-30 and the dinosaurs.

Agree with RJ. This is more than just a social issue. Economics are definitely a part. Gay marriage pumps people and money into VT and more recently NH.

Agree with RJ. This is more than just a social issue. Economics are definitely a part. Gay marriage pumps people and money into VT and more recently NH.

Yep. It's that many more people spending tens of thousands of dollars on weddings and tens of thousands of dollars on divorce.

Back