• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New York legalizes gay marriage

The interesting thing about this is NY state has no residency requirment for getting a marriage. You can drive or fly in and get married that day.

I wonder what's going to happen when a couple comes to NY and get married then returns to another state. Also what happens when a couple moves from NY.

One thing people didn't think about in this issue is that according to the state budget office gay amrriage will add about $200M/year to the state's economy.

The way he did this and the fact that he has worked in a bipartisan way on other issues thus far makes Cuomo a real force for 2016. I'd have to say he and Hillary are the early leaders for the Dems.

How does it add to the economy?

Does the fact that gay marriage is now legal mean that clergy in New York are obligated to perform same-sex weddings?

I don't think clergy are ever obligated to perform weddings. Justice of the Peace is another matter.

How does it add to the economy?

Destination weddings.

And not just destination weddings - weddings of all the same-sex couples who live in NY and want to get married. I know you can do weddings relatively cheap, but Google tells me that the average cost of a wedding in New York is somewhere between $30,000 and $50,000. Now add in the hotels where the guests stay, the restaurants they eat at over the weekend, etc. and I have no doubt that pumping $200 million/year into the New York economy is not overstating things.

And not just destination weddings - weddings of all the same-sex couples who live in NY and want to get married. I know you can do weddings relatively cheap, but Google tells me that the average cost of a wedding in New York is somewhere between $30,000 and $50,000. Now add in the hotels where the guests stay, the restaurants they eat at over the weekend, etc. and I have no doubt that pumping $200 million/year into the New York economy is not overstating things.

Just curious has anyone reading this board ever attended a gay wedding?

Yeah, I already made that point earlier.

I was talking about economy impact of the fact that there's no residency requirement. NY is wide open for out of state weddings in the city or in scenic spots like Niagara Falls.

I don't think clergy are ever obligated to perform weddings. Justice of the Peace is another matter.

But they are performing a legal function as an officer of the state. Shouldn't they have to abide by the laws of the state?

But they are performing a legal function as an officer of the state. Shouldn't they have to abide by the laws of the state?

Just because you are licensed to be a dentist you don't have to fix everyone's teeth.

Just because you are licensed to be a dentist you don't have to fix everyone's teeth.

So you do recognize the separation of church and state!

A dentist is not performing a function that changes someone's legal status. Nor are they performing an act on behalf of the government.

To the pseudo-man who neg repped me- you, Sir or Ma'am, are the idiot. There are no Jews in the Catholic church. But there are a lot of homosexuals.

Furthermore, why does the state tell they church who they can't marry, but then not require them to perform weddings for those who are legally allowed to marry?

I'm of the opinion that religious marriage and legal marriage should be two completely separate statuses.

To the pseudo-man who neg repped me- you, Sir or Ma'am, are the idiot. There are no Jews in the Catholic church. But there are a lot of homosexuals.

Furthermore, why does the state tell they church who they can't marry, but then not require them to perform weddings for those who are legally allowed to marry?

I'm of the opinion that religious marriage and legal marriage should be two completely separate statuses.

I agree that religious marriage and legal marriage should be completely separate things, but the fact is that they are not. That being the case, it would be a very clear cut violation of the religion clauses of the First Amendment for the state to require clergy to perform weddings.

Back