• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New York legalizes gay marriage

But what about the widget situation? Anybody?

Let's assume you own a widget company and pay your sales people by commission only. Your heterosexual salesman calls on a company who want to buy one million widgets. The Purchasing Agent , who is homosexual, calls you and says he wants a homosexual sales person. What would you do with the heterosexual employee?

If you are in a state where sexual orientation is a protected class, you cannot fire the heterosexual employee for not being homosexual. It is no different than if you said the salesman was Christian (or White) and the purchasing agent was Jewish (or Black) and said he wanted a Jewish (or Black) sales person. You may not think that is "fair" to the widget company owner, but all widget company owners in the State of Grace (my contracts professor's favorite hypothetical state) are in the same position (and all widget company owners in the country are in the same position with respect to religion or race).

ETA: I can't believe I got suckered into re-engaging in this debate.

If you are in a state where sexual orientation is a protected class, you cannot fire the heterosexual employee for not being homosexual. It is no different than if you said the salesman was Christian (or White) and the purchasing agent was Jewish (or Black) and said he wanted a Jewish (or Black) sales person. You may not think that is "fair" to the widget company owner, but all widget company owners in the State of Grace (my contracts professor's favorite hypothetical state) are in the same position (and all widget company owners in the country are in the same position with respect to religion or race).

ETA: I can't believe I got suckered into re-engaging in this debate.

This is an example of how employment law sounds good but can create issues in the real world.

This is an example of how employment law sounds good but can create issues in the real world.

If you think that not being able to discriminate against someone based on the color of their skin, their religion, or their sexual orientation is an "issue," I don't know what else to say to you. This is the right outcome, not an "issue."

"Do not be so quick to dismiss the North Korea comparison, Mike. We are witnessing tyranny today that is fostered by a false sense of freedom, a tyranny that faux tolerance ferments," - Kathryn Jean Lopez, on the passage of a marriage bill through the New York Assembly, GOP-controlled Senate, and governor's office."

Awesome

If you think that not being able to discriminate against someone based on the color of their skin, their religion, or their sexual orientation is an "issue," I don't know what else to say to you. This is the right outcome, not an "issue."

It's an issue when I can't sell my widgets.

It's an issue when I can't sell my widgets.

So you really believe that you should be able to fire someone just for being black (or white or Jewish or Muslim)? Thankfully, the US Congress is smarter than you (and Lord knows the US Congress does not set a high bar). We have nothing else to discuss.

So you really believe that you should be able to fire someone just for being black (or white or Jewish or Muslim)? Thankfully, the US Congress is smarter than you (and Lord knows the US Congress does not set a high bar). We have nothing else to discuss.

[keeper] yes. [/keeper]

I didn't say that. If I moved the straight guy from the account because the purchaser wanted a gay guy the straight guy could sue me for the commission lost. Correct?

I think it's highly telling that so many groups (social activist groups, churches, etc) completely ignore starvation, homelessness, work shortages, child abuse, depression, our country's general decline in the manufacturing space, etc and choose to focus on this one tiny issue of gay marriage. I mean on the grand scale, it's a total non-factor.

I think it's highly telling that so many groups (social activist groups, churches, etc) completely ignore starvation, homelessness, work shortages, child abuse, depression, our country's general decline in the manufacturing space, etc and choose to focus on this one tiny issue of gay marriage. I mean on the grand scale, it's a total non-factor.

Would you fire the straight guy?

The Top 5 Reasons Why I Support Legalizing Gay Marriage

1. Because they are tax-paying citizens, that have the same constitutional rights as everyboy other American

2-5. So they will shut the hell up about it

Seriously, everyone, please think of the widgets.

Back