• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New York legalizes gay marriage

I'm not going to answer that because it would never happen, and I have no idea how to run a company.

So you are saying a person working in a state not listed could be called into the HR Department and be told he was being fired because he was gay? I doubt it.

If you work in at-will employment state you can be fired for anything that's not a protected class if I'm not mistaken:

Any hiring is presumed to be "at will"; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals "for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all," and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work

129035747714979546.jpg

If you work in at-will employment state you can be fired for anything that's not a protected class if I'm not mistaken:

Any hiring is presumed to be "at will"; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals "for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all," and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work

What if it was in one of rj's states? How fair is that to the widget boss?

um, i'm against them, obviously,

i really don't know what to tell you, rj.

we have different views on lots of economic and perhaps some foreign policy areas. we happen to strongly agree on this issue, but rather than echo what i said earlier--Friday's bill passage was a great thing for NY (i happen to be a Manhattan resident at present) and the country--you seem intent on holding me responsible for the positions of lots of other conservatives who are NOT me.

i'm also against the death penalty and support a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants. i'm sorry if i don't live up to the stereotype of a scary, "right-winger."

yet you have no0 problem portraying me as a rabid lwer....

yet you have no0 problem portraying me as a rabid lwer....

i don't know what to say. i've countered your views on elections and politics many, many times and will continue to.

but if you can find a single instance where i have said or implied something derogatory about you personally, or questioned the sincerity of your beliefs, i would like to see it.

My take on this is that I honestly don't care and haven't cared for some time. It doesn't affect 1) My family financial situation 2) Fish population of FL 3) FSU athletics and hell it's not like Marriage means anything anymore.

I do think that the next step should be to legalize polygamy in all states though.

Shot show me where I said anything derogatory about you on this thread.

Stone, you are being absurd.

Are you sure it's not the next step to marrying barnyard animals?

Shot show me where I said anything derogatory about you on this thread.

Stone, you are being absurd.

you didn't. related note: i never claimed you did.

only that you seemed intent on making me defend positions of various conservative groups.

i was noting your claim that i have no problem portraying you as a "rabid" lefty. unless you count disagreeing with you on various issues and electoral prognostications, i'm wondering exactly where i did that.

whatever.

Well done, NY.

Excuse the ignorance, but when NY says they recognize same-sex marriages, does that mean they just recognize same-sex unions? Won't same-sex marriage not be recognized until all 50 states pass legislation and people receive federal benefits?

This is how the issue should be decided-- by the individual states and not with the federal government either guaranteeing it or forbidding it. The feds can obviously have some say on the issue when it comes to things such as granting or denying visas for spouses in gay marriages.

This is how the issue should be decided-- by the individual states and not with the federal government either guaranteeing it or forbidding it. The feds can obviously have some say on the issue when it comes to things such as granting or denying visas for spouses in gay marriages.

I disagree - so many of the benefits afforded to spouses are federal (I'm thinking primarily in my area - taxation) and the full faith and credit issue is a huge part of this. I just don't see how it works without a federal pronouncement on the issue.

Back