• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

News and Observer's Luke DeCock talks about Bzzz

After next regular season:

Under 18 wins- [Redacted] is gone
18 -50/50 -would likely have to win 8 in ACC and get an NIT bid, but still 50/50
19-- 80/20 to return- this would mean 8/9 ACC wins
20 -100% return

Buzz is guaranteed 4 years. GUARANTEED. I heard it from the horse's mouth. Wellman is committed to Buzz. He will not fire him based on what his first real freshman class does.

Buzz gets 4 years at least, and likely 5-6 before Wellman even begins to think about letting him go.

Wellman is a patient man.

Wellman would have to walk in on Buzz balls deep in Wellman's wife for Buzz to get let go any sooner.

I would have agreed two weeks ago - but after Ron's wholehearted endorsement of Bzd recently, am far more concerned that even if we are just a little sub-.500 but show "improvement" (e.g., only losing by single digits), than we are stuck in hell for at least one more year... hope I am wrong... or alternatively, hope we hit 20 wins...

Do you think Ron is going to provide a half ass endorsement? It just doesn't happen in collegiate sports, or almost never (Howland at UCLA recently received tepid support from AD for obvious reasons). Three years ago Ron gave his "wholehearted endorsement" of Dino and a year later he was gone despite winning an NCAA tournament game. This is ADing 101 (minus the additional guaranteed money to Dino part which curtailed us from hiring an A-level coach;-)

zzzz--

I believe he said it, but if Bzd coasts in with 16, 17 wins next year, Wellman will have his hand forced. I believe Wellman desperately WANTS Bzd to make it through year 4 because I think that is when most of the Dino money comes off the books, Syracuse and Pitt join the ACC and I believe he thinks that is going to be a better year to lure away an "identify" coach. Wake is going to get lost in the ACC without a coaching and playing style identity, potentially anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think bzd survives past year 4 if he doesn't get us off the bubble regardless of whether Wellman is "happy" with that level of success or not (doubt he is). If Bzd keeps us at 18-20 wins he will not generate enough fan/alumni/donor support to save his job. Sendek survived so long at NC State because he followed Les Robinson and he had fan support for a good long while. Until they got used to winning more games than they lost (without committing recruiting violations) and asked for more. Bzd is not going to have that luxury.

We need to make the NCAAs relatively easily in Year 4 and if not get to the Sweet 16 that year, then def. the next (either that or win 3/4 of our games in the ACC). I really do think he's going to have to get to about 42-44 wins in Years 3 and 4, with at least 18 of those coming next year, to generate the backing he needs in the expensive seats.

So I really don't think your fears are warranted. If it was Shaka Smart everyone would take 17 wins for two years with a shit eating grin, but Bzd is certainly not going to be afforded that luxury. Remember, everyone liked being in the company of Skip. 5 minutes of time carried a lot of people a long way with him. There are only a handful of coaches charming enough to get away with putting your worst free throw shooter on the line to take technical free throws, and Skip was one of them.

It will be villagers at the gates in Transylvania if Bzd makes that kind of mistake. He's on a short rope and he knows it. Sucky way to have to work but he brought it on himself as much as Wellman put him there so I don't feel too sympathetic.

Good post. Hope you're correct.

Do you think Ron is going to provide a half ass endorsement? It just doesn't happen in collegiate sports, or almost never (Howland at UCLA recently received tepid support from AD for obvious reasons). Three years ago Ron gave his "wholehearted endorsement" of Dino and a year later he was gone despite winning an NCAA tournament game. This is ADing 101 (minus the additional guaranteed money to Dino part which curtailed us from hiring an A-level coach;-)

yes, but accord to DeCock, Dino was undone by the 30 Minute Man and The Lookout. Bzz has done everything in his power to ensure that situation doesn't happen again, mainly by completely avoiding the NCAA tournament.

Purposefully scheduling weaker opponents in order to squeak out a few more wins does not impress me. Just look at the list of teams we beat this season and tell me which ones are solid victories? I do admit that early on I thought that the Nebraska victory was a solid win but they fell apart and ended up with a worse record than us. We beat three teams that had a winning record. ugh.

Loyola, MD (24-8)
Georgia Southern (15-15)
NC Central (17-14)
Texas Tech (8-23)
Nebraska (12-17)
High Point (13-18)
Gardner-Webb (12-20)
UNC-Wilmington (10-21)
Yale (19-9)
Virginia Tech (15-16)
Boston College x2 (9-21)
Georgia Tech (11-19)

These are the only BCS conference teams with fewer wins than Wake:

Georgia Tech 11-19
Boston College 9-21
Texas Tech 8-23
DePaul 12-19
Nebraska 12-19
Penn State 12-19
Arizona State 10-21
Utah 6-25
USC 6-26

We went 5-1 against them.

It's about message board posters internalizing their roles as Armchair Athletic Directors.

Regardless of the fact that you started with "delusions of groupthink" and have moved to "internalizing their roles", you've still missed the point of that experiment. Being pissed off and second-guessing the decision-makers is not the same as rampant abuse of authority. On the other hand, I guess you could make the point that we fans are the "prisoners" of the experiment and have lost all hope.

I don't think that RW would give a half-ass endorsement, but I certainly would have expected better PR - which I would assume is part of ADing 101- especially given the frustration of the past two years from the fans perspective. I just fundamentally disagree with the approach that RW took in representing his endorsement of Bzd. Nothing more, nothing less. That said, I agree with you that Bzd is here for 4 years, but I guess the presumption in your previous post was that we would be a bubble team by next year and "off the bubble" by year 4 - perhaps I am pessimistic, but I disagree with RJs contention that 17 wins next year means he is gone...

Georgia Tech 11-19
Boston College 9-21
Texas Tech 8-23
DePaul 12-19
Nebraska 12-19
Penn State 12-19
Arizona State 10-21
Utah 6-25
USC 6-26

5-2. You would have to work hard to play so many BCS bottom feeders in one year.

Georgia Tech 11-19
Boston College 9-21
Texas Tech 8-23
DePaul 12-19
Nebraska 12-19
Penn State 12-19
Arizona State 10-21
Utah 6-25
USC 6-26

2 losses, to ASU and Ga. Tech. Watched the Stanford-ASU game last night, ASU is ungodly bad... but hey, we only lost by 30 or so to them...

ETA: Chris beat me to it...

Dino was fired because, in Wellman's words, he is a "greaseball WOP." Wellman--what kind of name is Wellman anyway, sounds vaguely Jewish--despised Dino for being a proud Italian American. He put the "kabash" on team spaghetti and meatballs night, and ordered Dino to remove an autographed picture of Robert Deniro from his office wall. BabyDeac75 can verify this if he dares. He complained that Dino wore too much cologne and always "reeked of garlic." If Dino's last name were Prosser, he'd still be here winning games.

In a nutshell, the entire demise of our basketball program is due to Dino's olive toned skin.

5-2. You would have to work hard to play so many BCS bottom feeders in one year.

Ouch. How could I forget losing to Tech. To be fair, this isn't all on Wellman/Bzz. They didn't schedule any of those games. It was all conference games, the ACC-Big 10 Challenge, and the Old Spice Classic.

There is some seriously funny shit going down on this thread. I'm off to find a place to watch the game.

2 games in a single season is the difference between a guy's job being 50/50 and 100%? And 3 games is the difference between fired or 100% keeping your job?

This. Just look at this year. Play CJ against Wofford that's a W. Ty just says no and we likely beat GA Tech. Do that and we're 15-15 with 5 ACC wins up from 1 the year before, which would make a lot of people feel better but in reality is 100% meaningless.

If the NC States and Clemsons of the ACC are still beating us by 30+ and 20+ in the last few weeks of the season next year, that will hopefully mean a hell of a lot more than a 2 game swing in our record.

Dino was fired because, in Wellman's words, he is a "greaseball WOP." Wellman--what kind of name is Wellman anyway, sounds vaguely Jewish--despised Dino for being a proud Italian American. He put the "kabash" on team spaghetti and meatballs night, and ordered Dino to remove an autographed picture of Robert Deniro from his office wall. BabyDeac75 can verify this if he dares. He complained that Dino wore too much cologne and always "reeked of garlic." If Dino's last name were Prosser, he'd still be here winning games.

In a nutshell, the entire demise of our basketball program is due to Dino's olive toned skin.

lol, and the parody outs itself by fonzie'ing the shark
fonzie.jpg

This. Just look at this year. Play CJ against Wofford that's a W. Ty just says no and we likely beat GA Tech. Do that and we're 15-15 with 5 ACC wins up from 1 the year before, which would make a lot of people feel better but in reality is 100% meaningless.

If the NC States and Clemsons of the ACC are still beating us by 30+ and 20+ in the last few weeks of the season next year, that will hopefully mean a hell of a lot more than a 2 game swing in our record.

We most likely lose to GT anyway.

Back