• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

I went from very confident we'd follow up this season with 9 or 10 wins, to now looking at our schedule and thinking we'll be 8-4 going into bowl game. Hope I'm wrong and we have another magical season, but 8-4 used to be the pinnacle of Wake football, so I'm glad "I hope I'm wrong" about that.

Yep. This season is only the third time we have won more than 8 games (2006, 2007, 2021)

I went from very confident we'd follow up this season with 9 or 10 wins, to now looking at our schedule and thinking we'll be 8-4 going into bowl game. Hope I'm wrong and we have another magical season, but 8-4 used to be the pinnacle of Wake football, so I'm glad "I hope I'm wrong" about that.

Schedule is moderately stout with hosting Army after an early bye week after just 3 games. Should expect 3-0 vs VMI, Vandy and Liberty. Then 4 consecutive road games (Duke, FSU, Lou, NC State), and finish with 4 at home (BC, Clemson, UNC, SYR). Those last 3 road games will be pivotal.

Schedule is moderately stout with hosting Army after an early bye week after just 3 games. Should expect 3-0 vs VMI, Vandy and Liberty. Then 4 consecutive road games (Duke, FSU, Lou, NC State), and finish with 4 at home (BC, Clemson, UNC, SYR). Those last 3 road games will be pivotal.

Conference schedule isn’t out yet. We only know the dates of the OOC games. So we don’t know when our bye week will be.

We have a decent idea of some of our games by looking at the non-con of our opponents.

Sept 1 - VMI
Sept 10 - at Vandy
Sept 17 - Liberty
Sept 24 - Clemson, BC, or at FSU
Oct 1 - Any remaining ACC opponent or BYE
Oct 8 - Army
Oct 15 - Any remaining ACC opponent or BYE
Oct 22 - Any remaining ACC opponent or BYE
Oct 29 - Any remaining ACC opponent except BC and Cuse or BYE
Nov 5 - Any remaining ACC opponent except Clemson or at Louisville or BYE
Nov 12 - Any remaining ACC opponent or BYE
Nov 19 - Any remaining ACC opponent except BC and at FSU or BYE
Nov 26 - BC, at Duke, or Cuse (we've played one of them every year after Thanksgiving since the Vandy series ended)

I'd love to play Clemson on Sept 24 and one of the road games on Oct 1 (Duke, FSU, Louisville, State).

I've pieced together the current non-con schedules for all ACC teams. FSU and Clemson are the only teams with open slots on 9/10, so barring any changes they'll play each other that day.

On 9/24, Wake, BC, FSU, Clemson, and UVa are the only teams available. UVa doesn't play those four so they'll have to have an early bye. FSU and Clemson will have already played. So we'll have Clemson or at FSU on 9/24. That's a great spot for either game, especially Clemson.

More about 11/26. Here are the possible matchups that day. Miami has to play Pitt or Duke.

Miami-Pitt, Wake-Duke, Cuse-BC
Miami-Pitt, Wake-Cuse, Duke-BC
Miami-Duke, Pitt-Cuse, Wake-BC

Last edited:
Anybody see how Army scored a whole 13 points against Navy this past weekend ?

Army punted 5 times against Navy.

Army punted 1 time against Wake, despite having an infinitely greater number of possessions.

Lyle Hemphill likely sees the Army plays in his sleep as well.

Especially the oh-so-creative-and complicated fullback dive which went untouched for a 60 yard TD.

Anybody see how Army scored a whole 13 points against Navy this past weekend ?

Army punted 5 times against Navy.

Army punted 1 time against Wake, despite having an infinitely greater number of possessions.

Since they are the only teams that exclusively run the triple option (and therefore practice against it year round), Army, Navy and Air Force all know how to stop the option. Here is the total number of points scored in the last 14 Army Navy games:

2008: 34
2009: 20
2010: 48
2011: 48
2012: 30
2013: 41
2014: 27
2015: 38
2016: 38
2017: 27
2018: 27
2019: 38
2020: 15
2021: 30

The under is 13-1 in those games. There are similar stats in the Army-Air Force (35 total points this year) and Navy Air Force (26 total points this year) games. It has taken the books a while to wise up to this trend, but for Saturday's game, they set the total at 34 (given the scoring over the balance of the schedule for Army and Navy, the total should've been in the mid to high 40s). On Saturday, there were 17 points scored in the first quarter, and the game still stayed under). There are no locks in betting sports, but taking the under in a Commander and Chief trophy game is as close as it gets.

Last edited:
yeah, see, why would anyone want to watch that kind of football normally? it's dreadful. people only watch this game for the pageantry and honor.

Since they are the only teams that exclusively run the triple option (and therefore practice against it year round), Army, Navy and Air Force all know how to stop the option. Here is the total number of points scored in the last 16 Army Navy games:

The under is 13-1 in those games. They are similar stats in the Army-Air Force (35 total points this year) and Navy Air Force (26 total points this year) games. It has taken the books a while to wise up to this trend, but for Saturday's game, they set the total at 34 (given the scoring over the balance of the schedule for Army and Navy, the total should've been in the mid-40s. On Saturday, there were 17 points scored in the first quarter, and the game still stayed under). There are no locks in betting sports, but taking the under in a Commander and Chief trophy game is as close as it gets.

With the ability to pull osbsure stats out at a moment's notice, I'm not convinced Pilchard is human.

Since they are the only teams that exclusively run the triple option (and therefore practice against it year round), Army, Navy and Air Force all know how to stop the option. Here is the total number of points scored in the last 14 Army Navy games:

The under is 13-1 in those games. There are similar stats in the Army-Air Force (35 total points this year) and Navy Air Force (26 total points this year) games. It has taken the books a while to wise up to this trend, but for Saturday's game, they set the total at 34 (given the scoring over the balance of the schedule for Army and Navy, the total should've been in the mid to high 40s). On Saturday, there were 17 points scored in the first quarter, and the game still stayed under). There are no locks in betting sports, but taking the under in a Commander and Chief trophy game is as close as it gets.

Key words: YEAR ROUND. Not during the season or when they want to. YEAR ROUND at the service academies.

Winspedia will get you scores for specific historical matchups.

With the ability to pull osbsure stats out at a moment's notice, I'm not convinced Pilchard is human.

Despite his extraordinary breadth of knowledge true geniuses like OGB think he should be tarred and feathered for being wrong about Man Man.

yeah, see, why would anyone want to watch that kind of football normally? it's dreadful. people only watch this game for the pageantry and honor.

With better athletes, the TO can be fun. I enjoyed Paul Johnson's GT teams.

Despite his extraordinary breadth of knowledge true geniuses like OGB think he should be tarred and feathered for being wrong about Man Man.

Hmmm... Pilchard could be a robot. That might explain his take on ManMan, since, based on cold, hard data, he should have been right about ManMan. Can we put a CAPTCHA bot identifier puzzle on this thread and see if Pilchard can pass?

Back