• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

Since none of us have seen him play against D1 WRs, it is a nice aspect of his educational standing to have the luxury to see what we need and how good he is. Not an argument, an observation.

Sort of like the opposite where Sidney Deane had not seen Billy Hoyle shoot and assumed he was a geek...or a chump.

“if it plays out that way.“
There are lots of snaps but I doubt he comes expecting to start with the guys we have.

An NFL prospect coming into our defensive backfield is probably expecting to start or consistently play significant minutes.

An NFL prospect coming into our defensive backfield is probably expecting to start or consistently play significant minutes.

My guess is he expects his floor at Wake to be nickel corner and 1st backup to the starters. With the expectation that he gets the opportunity to vie for a starting spot. Three really good corners will help a lot with Wake's defense.

The frosh, good as they might be, are still freshmen. They can learn as fast as they are able without being pressed into playing by necessity.

Re: Hartman, Lindy's has his as POY but Leary is 1st TEAM QB.....go figure

Last edited:
leary is in the basement with Packer today and getting alot of Heisman love....

Yo leary- Hartman is the best ACC QB and don't you forget it! :dancindeac:

Question about '21 ACC Championship Game:

It seemed Pitt crowded the line in order to get quick penetration, which messed up our mesh.

Why couldn't we adjust? Seemed short throws were open but Hartman continued to hurl the ball downfield and into 3 INTs.

This will be the big question for the offense. Can teams with good DL play just crowd the line and force Hartman into 50/50 balls?

This will be the big question for the offense. Can teams with good DL play just crowd the line and force Hartman into 50/50 balls?

Yes, that’s the downside to our slow mesh offense. It works against everyone except the cream of the crop defenses.

Yes, that’s the downside to our slow mesh offense. It works against everyone except the cream of the crop defenses.

I think Wake should start to vary tempo more often. Obviously, the time between plays, but the length of the mesh and quick hitting plays like outside screens and quick pitch run plays. Keep the defense honest.

Some of us have been advocating for more RB screens/swing passes, bubble screens, pop passes/jet sweeps, etc. for a long time. For whatever reason, they haven't happened.

Also, if teams are going to play press coverage with no safety help (i.e. Clemson) to one side, Perry or Greene are going to have to feast on 50/50 balls. That's just taking what the defense is giving us. Problem there is Clemson apparently can't commit pass interference/holding against Wake. A quicker release fade route (like you see more often in the red zone) vs. a long developing 40+ yard heave downfield would also help keep Sam clean.

"Some of us have been advocating for more RB screens/swing passes, bubble screens, pop passes/jet sweeps, etc. for a long time. For whatever reason, they haven't happened."

Im.one of those. I don't understand why it hasn't happened since the basic O is mastered now after all these seasons with the system. Really surprises me Clawson wasn't ready for that when Pitt began to dominate. Instead, we were discombobulated and looked lost as to what to do.

I don’t remember the %decrease but we ran our slow mesh significantly less in 21 than 20.

It’s not really about the speed of the mesh. It’s about being able to disrupt the RPO with good interior line play. If the DL can take away the R and middle of the field PO, it turns into a bunch of deep balls. Hartman, Perry ,and Greene are strengths but I see teams with a good front four still betting on disrupting the RPO upfront and letting Hartman launch em and hope for the best.

. . .Also, if teams are going to play press coverage with no safety help (i.e. Clemson) to one side, Perry or Greene are going to have to feast on 50/50 balls. That's just taking what the defense is giving us. Problem there is Clemson apparently can't commit pass interference/holding against Wake. A quicker release fade route (like you see more often in the red zone) vs. a long developing 40+ yard heave downfield would also help keep Sam clean.

deserves repeating; I use to dream that one day at Death Valley a competitive game between Wake and Clemson would actually be called fairly but now I believe I will never see it.

Last edited:
deserves repeating; I use to dream that one day at Death Valley a competitive game between Wake and Clemson would actually be called fairly but now I believe I will never see it.

You'll never see it as long as officials wish to stay gainfully employed by the ACC.

Back