• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

So, it's a "bad take" that Clemson is superior to us athletically and that Venables has had our number forever and that we'll need breaks to win? Got it.

It's a bad take because their defense is going to be better this year than it was last year. It's being touted as the best in the nation. Jay Sawvell could coach that defense and they'd still be great.

It's a bad take because their defense is going to be better this year than it was last year. It's being touted as the best in the nation. Jay Sawvell could coach that defense and they'd still be great.

The mental image of a bunch of 5 star athletes and 1st round draft picks giving up 3rd down conversions because they couldn't get lined up correctly gave me a chuckle.

If they can figure out cornerback, good luck

the worldwide leader in messing up college football has an article up on next season's college football teams and how 20 teams can be contenders. Wake not mentioned. 5-7 Florida State highlighted.

the worldwide leader in messing up college football has an article up on next season's college football teams and how 20 teams can be contenders. Wake not mentioned. 5-7 Florida State highlighted.

There is an inherent conflict of interest when an entity with a profit motive, telecasting of college football also plays a key role in the evaluation of the quality of each college football team.

We should know in about 8 weeks. But I think some of you are way undervaluing a guy like Venables and what he brought to that program. I'll save this one for future reference.

Last edited:
This is probably the best chance we'll get to beat Clemson with Dabo at the helm. Still expect we'll come up short. They're just that good. I could live with a close loss since we have not even managed that in many years.

We should know in about 8 weeks. But I think some of you are way undervaluing a guy like Venables and what he brought to that program. I'll save this one for future reference.

Everybody's out to get BiffTannen.

There are a lot of defenses with great talent that aren’t nearly as hard as Clemson’s for us. It’s a combination of great players and great coaching that candidly is too hard for us to overcome. Heck, it’s a lot for most teams to overcome considering how few points they have given up last few years.

I’m not naive enough to believe they will be a cake walk and we’ll put up 45 points but we should have more opportunities to out-scheme them, getting them in a favorable match-up without Venables and that highlighter hat and stealing signals. We’re gonna need to guard our playbook for that game like Mr. Beaks handcuffed to the crop report.

They have a never-ending amount of graduate assistants (why is there not a limit on how many staff you can have?). I don't expect the sign stealing to stop, even though Venables is a master at it.

We definitely need to mix in some formations and plays they haven't seen before, and I still think some sort of quick huddle would be effective and eliminate the sign stealing. Muddle huddle, rush to the line, snap the ball before Clemson can adjust to the formation/steal the signs. Worked wonders for Day and tOSU in their last playoff matchup.

tOSU has personnel we don’t - mostly big linemen and RB’s. I like the thought but we can’t exactly replicate that verbatim but yes- something different is gonna be needed

Wake fans who have seen what happened post-Hood and Lambert and post-Elko should wonder how Clemson will adjust post-Venerables. The new guy hasn’t even been a position coach before. Seems like a shaky internal hire like Hemphill or Billings and Knorr.

There are a lot of defenses with great talent that aren’t nearly as hard as Clemson’s for us. It’s a combination of great players and great coaching that candidly is too hard for us to overcome. Heck, it’s a lot for most teams to overcome considering how few points they have given up last few years.

I’m not naive enough to believe they will be a cake walk and we’ll put up 45 points but we should have more opportunities to out-scheme them, getting them in a favorable match-up without Venables and that highlighter hat and stealing signals. We’re gonna need to guard our playbook for that game like Mr. Beaks handcuffed to the crop report.

Clemson's defense has been elite for awhile, and this year's defense may be the best (although they loses their DC). That said, Clemson's defense wasn't the problem last year. WF scored more on Clemson's D than any other opponent. The problem was that Clemson's offense, who everyone stopped last year (GT held Clemson to 14; BC held Clemson to 19; State held Clemson to 14 in regulation) hung 47 on WF. Not even UCONN gave up that many points to Clemson. WF is never going to win a 51-48 shootout against Clemson.

tOSU has personnel we don’t - mostly big linemen and RB’s. I like the thought but we can’t exactly replicate that verbatim but yes- something different is gonna be needed

Of course we aren't going to put up 600+ yards of total offense, but the strategy of a quick huddle/quick snap can be easily replicated. Could also allow our OL to fire off the ball a bit more, vs. have to sit there in a stance for 15+ seconds while the play is signaled in (and stolen).

Trey Sermon is 6'0", 215, and had almost 200 yards rushing against Clemson, FWIW. That tOSU OL was quite large and quite good, though.

Wake fans who have seen what happened post-Hood and Lambert and post-Elko should wonder how Clemson will adjust post-Venerables. The new guy hasn’t even been a position coach before. Seems like a shaky internal hire like Hemphill or Billings and Knorr.

What are you talking about with Billings?. He as an outstanding WR coach and taught them all how to block. He got sick of the Lobo shitshow and patronizing and left.

Precisely.

What are you talking about with Billings?. He as an outstanding WR coach and taught them all how to block. He got sick of the Lobo shitshow and patronizing and left.

Which made him a shaky co-DC hire after Lambert left for Charlotte.

This is probably the best chance we'll get to beat Clemson with Dabo at the helm. Still expect we'll come up short. They're just that good. I could live with a close loss since we have not even managed that in many years.

F that. We are beyond moral victories in football with Clawson in charge.

Back