• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

This is what drove me mad last year at Clemson. Clemson clearly new Sam's cadence, and were crashing the line right as the ball hiked in the first 1.5 quarters - racking up 5 or so sacks? Completely rattling Sam. Not one time was the snap count changed, sped up or delayed to stop this. Clemson brought a db/nickel/ almost at the same time as the snap. By the time adjustments were made and Wake began to move the ball, realizing Jaquarii was open on damn near every down - the defense was already too tired from the pillow fight on the other side of ball.

yeah, we had negative 4 yards of total offense in the first quarter

our first 10 possessions yielded 13 total points, and we gave Clemson the ball on our 20 twice via turnovers - not a winning offensive formula

yeah, we had negative 4 yards of total offense in the first quarter

our first 10 possessions yielded 13 total points, and we gave Clemson the ball on our 20 twice via turnovers - not a winning offensive formula

I actually think we adjusted pretty well on offense after the first quarter and actually moved ball decently. Of course problems were turnovers and defense couldn’t stop them

4 sacks in the first quarter. Pass blocking just completely imploded, really frustrating.

Pass blocking is harder when the DBs are allowed to hold up receivers, also known as defensive holding or pass interference.

Thank you Biff. Good point. WF gotta make no excuses when playing a quality opponent. I thought DC made that clear in his immediately post game comments last year at Clemson, and at UNCCH. Sure by Tuesday he had lots of explanations about this and that but I'm talking about post game just off the field comments. DC rarely makes excuses.

Chapel Hill was all about our Safeties, again.

Hopefully that gets corrected.

Chapel Hill there were times when we didn't have a defensive player within the frame of the play! I know that drove Clawson absolutely nuts for players to be so far out of position. He repeatedly said as much throughout the season. I never could figure out if we were just that slow or poorly coached. I have to believe the majority of it was coaching.

Last edited:
how are we looking at the Linebacker position?

A lot of the same parts, don't have a converted safety there (yet), an intriguing portal addition from Ga. Southern, and a hope that a new position coach is the proper remedy.

I hope the Pitt loss keeps us hungry throughout the season
This is our best shot to beat Clemson in the Clawson era

A lot of the same parts, don't have a converted safety there (yet), an intriguing portal addition from Ga. Southern, and a hope that a new position coach is the proper remedy.

Anyone with a shot at our 2 deep on D?? Really hoping we can get more pressure from our Dline this year but might be too optimistic. Any significant contributions from RS frosh or any true frosh on D?

Anyone with a shot at our 2 deep on D?? Really hoping we can get more pressure from our Dline this year but might be too optimistic. Any significant contributions from RS frosh or any true frosh on D?

I'd reserve the right to take stabs at a 2-deep until at least the 2nd week of fall camp (which starts Monday morning).

Clawson has said year after year that "the farther away from the ball they line up, the better chance they have to play early" when talking about freshmen playing. So if any of the DBs (Zamari Stevenson, Andre Hodge, Jamare Glasker) can tread water, that's where you'll find your freshman contributor. The LB they brought in (Tommy Bebie) is listed at 6-foot, 201 ... wouldn't hold my breath there.

RS frosh is much more interesting ... Based on fall camp last year, I thought Dylan Hazen was going to play more at LB than he did; and Quincy Bryant was ahead of him at the end of camp. Neither of them really played much and when they did, it wasn't anything special. Also thought DaShawn Jones (CB) flashed a few times in spring practices, but when you see that someone flashed it means they looked really good one day and sucked the next. Consistency is his next step.

Back