• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

Problem all last your was we were clueless in stopping the run. Always harbored the thought it was what we practiced against. We need a summer camp with Be Clemson on the defense.

I watched an AT Perry 2021 highlight compilation and holy shit am I hyped to see what he does this year.

I watched an AT Perry 2021 highlight compilation and holy shit am I hyped to see what he does this year.

it's fucking annoying all the fans from other teams complaining about him pushing off

He does push off but he has an NFL style push off that doesn’t get called.

it's fucking annoying all the fans from other teams complaining about him pushing off

They are just big time butt hurt about how much of a grown man he is. State fans in particular loathe him which is just icing on the cake.

They are just big time butt hurt about how much of a grown man he is. State fans in particular loathe him which is just icing on the cake.

I cannot wait to attend that game in November.

From Andy Staples' mailbag

Which team is this year’s Wake Forest? A team that’s quietly been trending upward and can make the jump to a conference title game this year. — Andy

I’m tempted to be a smart aleck and answer Wake Forest because the Demon Deacons bring back 20 starters from a team that went 11-3 last season. QB Sam Hartman is back. The youngest starter on the offensive line is entering his fourth year in the program. Receivers A.T. Perry and Donavon Greene should put up huge numbers. Head coach Dave Clawson shook up his defensive staff after last season, and if that unit can even approach the productivity of the offense, then Wake Forest might be even better this year than last.

Unfortunately for the Demon Deacons, I think Clemson likely will figure out the offensive issues that plagued the Tigers last season. A more functional Clemson offense opposite a nasty defense likely puts the Tigers back at the top of the Atlantic Division and the ACC in general.

The question is with ACC divisions going away after this season, will the path to the title game be easier or more difficult for a team like Wake Forest? If Clemson returns to form, divisional play would shut out a Wake Forest or an NC State even during a great season. Now, such a team could slide into the title game by finishing No. 2 in the league standings.

So if it’s not Wake Forest, then who is it?

You’ve read in this space that if Purdue gets past Penn State in the season opener, the Boilermakers could be a group we talk about throughout September. QB Aidan Hutchinson is excellent, but the Boilermakers did lose special talents on offense (receiver David Bell) and defense (first-round defensive end George Karlaftis). So expecting more this season might be asking too much.

There is another team in the Big Ten West that could have the personnel and the schedule — read: no Ohio State game — to make its first appearance in the league’s title game. Minnesota is coming off a 9-4 season and has the “Encore Four.” That’s quarterback Tanner Morgan, tailback Mohamed Ibrahim, receiver Chris Autman-Bell and center John Michael Schmitz, who signed in coach P.J. Fleck’s first Minnesota recruiting class in 2017.

Breaking news out of pre-fall camp media day is that Horatio Fields and Jamare Glasker (freshman DB) are out for the season.

Fields was in line to get snaps as No. 4 WR -- behind A.T./Donavon as starters, Jahmal Banks as their primary backup. Clawson mentioned a handful of guys who could be No. 4 WR now (Jackson Hensley, Wesley Grimes, Taylor Morin moving back from slot).

So Morin is going to be on the outside and Williams is going to be the #1 slot?

Fields injury doesn’t hurt this year but may impact his development.

So Morin is going to be on the outside and Williams is going to be the #1 slot?

I think that's their Plan C of those options -- they really want to have as close to a 50/50 split of reps in the slot as possible.

I think Monday morning it'll be Hensley who gets the first shot and we'll see if Grimes can tread water as a freshman. I know he's got this nice aura as a 4-star WR and he might be the exception, but they've really had so few true freshmen WRs contribute immediately that it's hard to believe he'll be in the rotation right away.

Hey Connor, thanks for the update. When we were recruiting Grimes, I said that he reminded me of Roberson based on the size, intelligence, and ability to find openings in the defense. I've got high hopes (especially as a fellow Millbrook grad and highly average offensive lineman). I really hope that he's good enough that we can keep Morin at slot, splitting reps with Williams.

Good. Morin and Williams at 50/50 would be great but both deserve more reps.

True, but our offense will provide plenty of snaps and we aren’t done with injuries for the year. If one of them gets dinged, we’ve still got a starter.

Yeah, I would like to see 4 WR sets with those guys. We are loaded at the position.

I'd love to hear Conor's thoughts on the battle for 2nd and 3rd RB. I assume Turner will be 2nd for now.

Catching me between what I think should happen vs. what they'll actually do here ...

I mean, I completely agree. I think Ke'Shawn could handle the bulk and Morin has already shown he can play well in the slot or outside. But it felt like in the spring they were looking for more consistency from Ke'Shawn, so that's where what I think ≠ how staff feels.

Of course this can be solved with the years-long quest for them to install packages with two slots, but I digress.

Back