• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

I think Allen had a really good series against State in 2018 or 2019 that helped seal the win. It was hard to watch that and understand why he didn't play more.

1.5 tackles, both for loss, in the first quarter to help stall a drive inside the red zone leading to a FG

Probably save 7 ppg just not blowing assignments

- The blown assignments watching the games back is... nauseating to say the least.
- I love Zion as a person, but there was a reason he was a safety and not a corner. When he spent a lot of time at nickel... that's an issue.
- Not having a scheme that allows for so many things to go wrong probably helps alleviate some issues. AKA: the way you fit the run(nothing to do with the 4-2-5 vs a 4-3 or 3-4) has to make sense and work properly. Just like any process, the more steps there are to completing something, the more chances you have something that can go wrong and ruin it all. Lambert completely scrapping that *should* help
- Piggybacking off Conor, I had a ton of interaction with Big Mike. Just did not love football the way he needed to. Was never a detriment on or off the field, incredibly intelligent kid, did well in school, just never progressed on the field

- The blown assignments watching the games back is... nauseating to say the least.
- I love Zion as a person, but there was a reason he was a safety and not a corner. When he spent a lot of time at nickel... that's an issue.
- Not having a scheme that allows for so many things to go wrong probably helps alleviate some issues. AKA: the way you fit the run(nothing to do with the 4-2-5 vs a 4-3 or 3-4) has to make sense and work properly. Just like any process, the more steps there are to completing something, the more chances you have something that can go wrong and ruin it all. Lambert completely scrapping that *should* help
- Piggybacking off Conor, I had a ton of interaction with Big Mike. Just did not love football the way he needed to. Was never a detriment on or off the field, incredibly intelligent kid, did well in school, just never progressed on the field

This is why I have felt like the individual talent on D has been better than the overall result the past few years. I don't think the players are too slow or too small. When your first few steps are in the wrong direction, you seem slow. When you are out of position, that reaching arm tackle gets broken. When everything goes right, you shut down UVA's offense. Also, talented players make plays. That's why they got so many turnovers.

This is why I have felt like the individual talent on D has been better than the overall result the past few years. I don't think the players are too slow or too small. When your first few steps are in the wrong direction, you seem slow. When you are out of position, that reaching arm tackle gets broken. When everything goes right, you shut down UVA's offense. Also, talented players make plays. That's why they got so many turnovers.

True. Also, I'd just add that our guys up front usually get a good push and then all the other guys need SPEED.

We have not had speed at all positions the past 2-3 seasons.

Hmm, agree with skinnydeac that the individual talent has not matched the team defensive results. Wonder if Clawson's success with a complicated read option offense influenced (intentionally or unintentionally) a complicated style of defense, which kept "home grown" defensive coordinators from having consistent success. Kudos to Clawson for bringing in a successful DC with his own, different style of defense. Hope it pays off.

True. Also, I'd just add that our guys up front usually get a good push and then all the other guys need SPEED.

We have not had speed at all positions the past 2-3 seasons.

Speed/Athleticism would help, but there have just been times people are put in positions maybe 5-6 players on the planet could make. When you're playing to spill, if one thing goes wrong a play that should be 0-1 yards ends up 4-5 yards before someone is able to touch them. Now if it all goes right, no one is moving the ball on you. At least from the comments from Rondy (I am not at camp) the mentions of them not having to think as much means they're probably not spilling this year. MGO did a good job explaining exactly what it entails better than a message board post would do:

https://mgoblog.com/content/neck-sharpies-what-playing-spill

Well at least we now know that our defensive problems will be corrected by Coach Lambert by teaching players where to stand. Pretty good strategy actually.

Well at least we now know that our defensive problems will be corrected by Coach Lambert by teaching players where to stand. Pretty good strategy actually.

Well this is the dumbest oversimplification of something I've read today

Almost as dumb as guessing our defense is going to be better this year because we have a new coach who jus met the players a few months ago and obviously recruited none of them.

Meanwhile I’ve got people telling me that Clemson’s defense is going to be shaky next year because they have a new DC who’s been on their staff 11 years.

Shaky for Clemson is dropping from the 2nd best D in CFB to the 15th. Getting better for Wake is going from 90th to 60th. It is much harder to maintain being one of the best compared to improving from one of the worst. Clemson new DC has also never been a DC(or even an on field coach iirc) while Lambert has a lot of experience.

Almost as dumb as guessing our defense is going to be better this year because we have a new coach who jus met the players a few months ago and obviously recruited none of them.

Meanwhile I’ve got people telling me that Clemson’s defense is going to be shaky next year because they have a new DC who’s been on their staff 11 years.

Yeah, Clemson's defense is not shaky or will not be shaky at all, as long as Dabo is the HC.

It's like Saban getting a new coordinator - they're still going to be VERY solid, because it's freakin' Saban's team.

That's how most things work. I know it doesn't happen when you hire Muschamp multiple times like the SEC loves to do, but more often than not when a big problem you have is consistency and health, yeah the expectation should probably be it improves from being a top 100 SP+ to top 70 is a normal expectations regardless of who recruited them or the fact that he got hired in the offseason. Don't understand why either of those are points being brought up, if he was hired in May or June? Sure. Getting an entire Spring/Summer/Fall Camp is more than enough time to install.

EYE don't think Clemson's defense will be shaky this year but they do have some questions maily at CB and one of the backer spots. But that's not because of Goodwin, that's a question I'd have for anyone that lost a bunch of freaks

Wake Spring game rerun on ACC Network ahead of ACC Roadtrip visit to Wake at 7 pm.today (Wednesday, Aug 3).

Hadn't heard, but Clawson said on the ACC Roadtrip interview that the o-line consists of one 7th year player, three 6th year guys, and one 5th year player. :eek: And then 2 more seniors for depth.

Last edited:
COVID certainly has had benefits for Wake athletics, given the added experience we've in football and the lack of competition to land Forbes

Never let a crisis go to waste.

Back