• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

I would argue our talent on defense is worse than last year this year losing Fox, Kamara, Taylor, Greer, and Redd. Is it possible coaching can correct a lot of the issues? Sure but until we get better players on defense consistently - it will be a band aid

I think our D Line will be solid, and if guys stay healthy our secondary is pretty good. Linebacker is where we need to see major improvement.

I would argue our talent on defense is worse than last year this year losing Fox, Kamara, Taylor, Greer, and Redd. Is it possible coaching can correct a lot of the issues? Sure but until we get better players on defense consistently - it will be a band aid

Every college loses some talented guys every year. They also bring in and or mature some guys every year. Eldrick Robinson and Kobe Turner are two talented guys brought in. Coby Davis is healthy so far this season. Isaiah Wingfield should be better adjusted to ACC level play. Brendan Harris, transfer from Vanderbilt, should be able to contribute massively. Jasheen Davis matures more and takes another step forward becoming more disruptive opposite Rondell Bothroyd.

Wake lost some guys. Wake gained some guys. Wake had some guys grow up and improve.

Additions + improvement from returnees + better scheme and coaching >> players and talent lost.

Injuries are key. WF lost its corners late last season and the defense collapsed. Lambert should help too. Defense won’t be great, but should be improved.

I actually think our talent didn't drop off too much. We brought in some good help in guys like Harris, Turner and Robinson and the D2 all American kid whose name is on the tip of my tongue. Need guys like Malik Mustapha and Chelen Garnes to stay healthy.

I actually think our talent didn't drop off too much. We brought in some good help in guys like Harris, Turner and Robinson and the D2 all American kid whose name is on the tip of my tongue. Need guys like Malik Mustapha and Chelen Garnes to stay healthy.

Jermal Martin from California (PA) University. D2 AA defensive back. I'm looking forward to hearing how he makes the jump from D2 to FBS football.

First I think Greer missed over half the season so while we lost a great player he didn’t really impact D last year since he was out so much. Fox and Kamala were decent DTs but let’s not kid ourselves we got gashed regularly on ground so if Turner, willams, Pointer and other younguns can step up with Jacorey, Jasheen and bothroyd at ends I feel our DL can be same if not improved if can bring more pressure from ends which I think is very possible with a stronger and faster Bothroyd and Jasheen. Taylor and Redd are definite losses, but I feel we have a lot of upside by our DBs. I feel the real weakness last year was LB play and Smenda didn’t seem to have ACC lb speed,but maybe he’ll surprise us and Jones and a couple of others are going to have to really step up. I think the transfer Robinson could be one of our biggest pickups.

I like what I hear from coaches and players about the D being more aggressive, as it did seem we were very reactive last year and we didn’t have team speed to see if we can respond. Just remember our D was one of worse in ACC and honestly cant do much worse than giving up 50 points and 500 yards to army. Staying healthy will be huge as just don’t think we quite have the depth on D to suffer much,

Knowing where to put your best players on the field is what distinguishes average coaches from really good ones. I expect to see substantial improvement this year and exponential improvement in future years because he will recruit what he needs.

Probably save 7 ppg just not blowing assignments

Or by being badly aligned.

There were plays last season where Wake didn't have a defender in the frame when the opponent had a big play.

So this would mean Army and UNC will lay 60 each on Wake. An improved Wake defense may be the lowest bar in sports.

Greer spent more time injured than on the field. Kamara was never able to become a full time starter quality player. Redd was experienced and solid, but was too slow to be a safety and too small to be a linebacker. Taylor was awful early in his career. We were lucky he turned it around. He was still prone to getting burned.

I think the defense will be fine with those losses from a personnel standpoint.

Greer spent more time injured than on the field. Kamara was never able to become a full time starter quality player. Redd was experienced and solid, but was too slow to be a safety and too small to be a linebacker. Taylor was awful early in his career. We were lucky he turned it around. He was still prone to getting burned.

What’s weird about Kamara was that he was a big time recruit - 4 star in some publications. We’ve had some bigtime DL recruits that haven’t panned out last 5 years - Mike Allen and Shamar McCollum also.

What’s weird about Kamara was that he was a big time recruit - 4 star in some publications. We’ve had some bigtime DL recruits that haven’t panned out last 5 years - Mike Allen and Shamar McCollum also.

Yeah, Mike Allen never made sense. It seemed like every time he got on the field he made plays. Cam or Conor might have some insight on why he didn't play more. I feel like McCollum would have thrived in a 3-4 where he could be kind of a hybrid LB/DE. Obviously, you don't change the defense for one guy.

Yeah, Mike Allen never made sense. It seemed like every time he got on the field he made plays. Cam or Conor might have some insight on why he didn't play more. I feel like McCollum would have thrived in a 3-4 where he could be kind of a hybrid LB/DE. Obviously, you don't change the defense for one guy.

I think you're overselling Big Mike's penchant for making plays. He played 121 career snaps at Wake and had 4 pressures and 7 tackles (PFF). Sometimes the light just doesn't come on for guys and I think that was the case with him. You know how Clawson always talks about wanting guys who football is important to and who *love* playing football? I think there was a disconnect there. Btw, he's still in college; going to be a sixth-year DT at Western Kentucky this season.

McCollum ... there is an untold story there that I'm not going to share out of respect for the kid. It would explain why he looked great early but struggled to find footing as 2019 went on, and was lost in the shuffle in 2020 -- but I was told off record. I agree that he could've thrived in a different system -- though Wake's drop end position is basically an OLB/DE hybrid that rushes from a stand-up position.

Also recruiting rankings once you get past the top 400-500 prospects are for the birds.

I think you're overselling Big Mike's penchant for making plays. He played 121 career snaps at Wake and had 4 pressures and 7 tackles (PFF). Sometimes the light just doesn't come on for guys and I think that was the case with him. You know how Clawson always talks about wanting guys who football is important to and who *love* playing football? I think there was a disconnect there. Btw, he's still in college; going to be a sixth-year DT at Western Kentucky this season.

McCollum ... there is an untold story there that I'm not going to share out of respect for the kid. It would explain why he looked great early but struggled to find footing as 2019 went on, and was lost in the shuffle in 2020 -- but I was told off record. I agree that he could've thrived in a different system -- though Wake's drop end position is basically an OLB/DE hybrid that rushes from a stand-up position.

Also recruiting rankings once you get past the top 400-500 prospects are for the birds.

For Shamar was it Personal life, social life, academics, maturity?

Good post and agree with this. The biggest loss on defense where there's not a clear successor is Greer. He was soooo good at breaking on a pass or run and would shut that shit down before it had time to develop. I love Nick's aggressiveness, but he's just not fast enough to make the kind of plays we need him to at safety, consistently. I'd almost want him to be molded after Luke Masterson and play in that hybrid spot, but even then, he may be too small and Garnes is the better fit there.

Maybe I just remember every tackle like it was a glimmer of hope. lol

haha, I certainly don't fault anybody for wanting him to be good. He had the size and recruiting ink. The spring practice and preseason threads from 2018 and '19 are probably sprinkled with "what about Mike Allen?" posts. I've probably got archived DMs and long-lost W-SJ emails about him, too.

Just couldn't put it together. I think he got a Wake degree though.

I think Allen had a really good series against State in 2018 or 2019 that helped seal the win. It was hard to watch that and understand why he didn't play more.

Back