• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

Didn't Sam have 7 tds vs uNC? Why would people hold that game against him?

Because we went 15 minutes without scoring, with an INT, during winning time, from a 14 point lead to a 3 point loss.

That's the most deflated feeling I've ever had walking out of a Wake football game, including the Orange Bowl.

The difference in the UNC game was points off TO- 14-3. You can’t gift wrap INT’s on the wrong side of the field on the road against a talented opponent with backs against the wall. Both of Sam’s INT’s were awful throws - it’s not like the guy just made a great play- I can live with that- not to mention the fact that it was the same guy - Cameron Kelly- who made both- he was just reading his eyes both times. It’s not just the stats - it’s timing of those bad throws

The difference in the UNC game was points off TO- 14-3. You can’t gift wrap INT’s on the wrong side of the field on the road against a talented opponent with backs against the wall. Both of Sam’s INT’s were awful throws - it’s not like the guy just made a great play- I can live with that- not to mention the fact that it was the same guy - Cameron Kelly- who made both- he was just reading his eyes both times. It’s not just the stats - it’s timing of those bad throws

I didn't say he had a perfect game. (One of those INTs shouldn't have counted due to offsides)

I'm just not going to point to a game where someone had 7 touchdowns and half a million yards and say, "that's the game that shows he isn't elite"

Did they have a temporary lull in scoring? Yep. Could the defense stop a decent middle school that day? Nope.

Somebody explain to me why Wake's defense is going to be better this year ? Isn't it largely the same guys we had last year with a coach they just met a few months ago ? I'll take my answer off the air.

A college football fan is asking why a team/unit could be better with a new coach?

A college football fan is asking why a team/unit could be better with a new coach?

It's the same guys playing defense and Clawson is on his third DC. Lambert's definitely more experienced than the prior coordinators, but if an undersized LB runs a 4.6 40 under the last DC, that's what that same undersized LB runs under the new DC.

ETA: It's actually his fourth DC, thanks for the message, fellow poster.

Last edited:
It's the same guys playing defense and Clawson is on his third DC. Lambert's definitely more experienced than the prior coordinators, but if an undersized LB runs a 4.6 40 under the last DC, that's what that same undersized LB runs under the new DC.

Sure. But where is he running from? Where is he running to? We may see better scouting and preparation. LBs may take better angles and tackle better. Could be any number of changes. Perhaps Hemphill was way over his head as a DC so our players didn't play as well as they could have.

I didn't say he had a perfect game. (One of those INTs shouldn't have counted due to offsides)

I'm just not going to point to a game where someone had 7 touchdowns and half a million yards and say, "that's the game that shows he isn't elite"

Did they have a temporary lull in scoring? Yep. Could the defense stop a decent middle school that day? Nope.

Normally when a college qb scores 7 times and throws 2 picks, the team wins 55-21.

Or maybe it takes more than one offseason to substantially improve a defensive unit.

It seems like everyone is just assuming the defense will be better because it couldn't be much worse.

Or maybe it takes more than one offseason to substantially improve a defensive unit.

It seems like everyone is just assuming the defense will be better because it couldn't be much worse.

maybe

https://www.purdueexponent.org/spor...cle_ae816cbe-6dd0-11ec-8497-73dd859695e7.html

After installing his defense three separate times between spring and summer practices, Purdue's defense allowed 9.4 fewer points per game under Lambert's guidance the very next season. The Boilermakers placed third in the Big Ten in passing yards allowed per game and fifth in total yards allowed per game with an increased amount of pressure at the line and "exotic" blitzes thrown at opposing quarterbacks, as Lambert promised to improve in an early March interview.

Lambert was one of four new additions to Brohm's defensive coaching staff and one of three selected co-defensive coordinators tasked with orchestrating a more aggressive defensive philosophy and revitalizing a defense that had allowed 29.8 points per game

And hopefully George Karlaftis will have a big season for the Deacs this fall.

But really, Lambert was only at Purdue one year, was one of three co-defensive coordinators, and was also the LB coach.

Sure. But where is he running from? Where is he running to? We may see better scouting and preparation. LBs may take better angles and tackle better. Could be any number of changes. Perhaps Hemphill was way over his head as a DC so our players didn't play as well as they could have.

Here's to healthy defensive backs and linebackers. Also Eldrick being "playable" this year, so more depth at linebacker.

Back