• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

Clawson said the 2022 team “will have to forge its own identity.”

It clearly was unhelpful losing KWIII in 2021 but we won 11 games anyway. With CBS it is unlikely that his departure makes any major difference in 2022. (Same is true with Q.) CBS’s opt out is nowhere near a “bleak blow to Wake Forest” contrary to the sportscasters at local WXII TV.

I hope CBS has success except if at the expense of the Deacs in a game played.

I didn’t know WXII still has any true sportscasters since they let Dave Goren go.

WF has a local traditional media problem. It does not have a new age media problem with Les doing amazing work at WF's 247 site plus Rivals hopefully recovering from its past downturn with the previous editor.

I don't disagree Les does amazing work. I do disagree that we don't have a new age problem -- you could argue what Les does isn't really "new age" these days, as it's primarily a blog behind a paywall. This message board I would also say is an objectively strong community. But we lag behind pretty much every big school on consistent content output, particularly YouTube/Podcast, don't seem to have much going in terms of organized NIL support. Our athletic department is getting better but still pretty awful at basic things like getting press conferences uploaded (props to Les for doing his best here). From what I've seen, even small schools like BC and Rutgers outpace us significantly in this regard.

Anyway the punchline is that I've been toying around with trying to solve this -- if anyone is interested in participating in some capacity -- either "talent" that wants to potentially make an extra buck or as an investor let me know.

Updating this post from Haros on the recruiting thread: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...est-Football-Recruiting?p=3799523#post3799523 (I made a few edits)

Updated with Zach Tom -- still two schollies over based on my best knowledge.

Updated Count: 87

OFFENSE (44)
QB (6): Hartman, Kern, Griffis, Griffis, Marucci, Edwards
RB (6): Turner, Ellison, Cooley, Towns, Claiborne, Carney
WR (10): AT Perry, Donavan Greene, Ke'Shawn Williams, Morin, Banks, Christian Greene, Dez Williams, Horatio Fields, Zavier Simpson (WO?), Jackson Hensley (WO?), Wesley Grimes, Jaydn Girard
TE (5): Whiteheart, Michael Frogge, Trey Boll, Cameron Hite, Gavin Ellis
OL (17): JeVionte Nash, Maginn, Nya, Jurgens, Gordon, Petitbon, CJ Elmonius, Clapp (Q), Zach Vaughan, Christian Forbes, George Sell, Matt Gulbin, Nick Sharpe, Jaydon Collins, Erik Russell, Derrell Johnson

DEFENSE (41)
DL (15):
DE (7): Bothroyd, Jacory Johns, Jasheen Davis, Kendron Wayman, Isaiah Chaney, BJ Williams, Eli Hall, Jon Saklad (WO?),
DT (8): Tyler Williams, Kevin Pointer, Kobie Turner, Dion Bergan (Q), Will Smart (Q), Justin Williams, Bernard Gooden, Jalen Swindell

LB (9): Ryan Smenda, Chase Monroe (Q), Chase Jones, Dylan Hazen, Jaylen Hudson, Zach Ranson, Josh Sosanya, Quincy Bryant, Tommy Bebie

DB (17): Coby Davis, Nasir Greer, Zion Keith, Chelan Garnes, Isaiah Wingfield (Q), Gavin Holmes, Caelen Carson, Malik Mustapha, Nick Anderson, JJ Roberts, KJ Trujillo, AJ Williams, Evan Slocum, DaShawn Jones, Zamari Stephenson, Andre Hodge, Jamare Glasker

SPECIAL TEAMS (3):
K: Matt Dennis
P: Ivan Mora
LS: Jacob Zuhr

NO MORE ELIGIBILITY (8): Stewart, Chapman, Fox, Kamara, Masterson, Redd, J.Taylor, T.Davis
MOVING ON (8): Roberson, Sciba, Vilain, Francis, CBS, D.Taylor, A.Marshall, Dicks, Tom

Trujillo is in his 4th year of college and could not see the field when we clearly needed bodies

I don't disagree Les does amazing work. I do disagree that we don't have a new age problem -- you could argue what Les does isn't really "new age" these days, as it's primarily a blog behind a paywall. This message board I would also say is an objectively strong community. But we lag behind pretty much every big school on consistent content output, particularly YouTube/Podcast, don't seem to have much going in terms of organized NIL support. Our athletic department is getting better but still pretty awful at basic things like getting press conferences uploaded (props to Les for doing his best here). From what I've seen, even small schools like BC and Rutgers outpace us significantly in this regard.

Anyway the punchline is that I've been toying around with trying to solve this -- if anyone is interested in participating in some capacity -- either "talent" that wants to potentially make an extra buck or as an investor let me know.

A consistent podcast would be pretty cool. I have zero talent, but would be glad to talk about Wake football as a completely biased homer each week.

WXII has at least 2 on its current Sports staff….Director/main anchor is Lauren Walsh and John Johnson is a reporter/backup anchor…

Happy to talk Wake as well. I assume more moves are coming if we have a spot to offer that TE Bull who is in the portal. I wonder what he brings compared to what we currently have at the position. We haven’t found a player as good as Cam since he left at the spot.

Happy to talk Wake as well. I assume more moves are coming if we have a spot to offer that TE Bull who is in the portal. I wonder what he brings compared to what we currently have at the position. We haven’t found a player as good as Cam since he left at the spot.

a lot of it is just need and types of TEs. Cam was a receiver playing TE, the guys they've recruited with the exception of Gavin Ellis and Frogge(who missed this year being hurt) have been more blockers turning into pass catchers. They haven't really prioritized the pass catching over blocking due to the receivers.

The level of receivers is just exponentially better now.

2021: Roberson/Ke'Shawn/Morin/A.T/Stewart
2020: Roberson/Donavon Greene/Morin/A.T
2019: Kendall/Sage/Scotty
2018: Dortch/Sage dealing with an injury all year/Bachman/Scotty
2017: Dortch/Tabari/scotty in his second year of action/Bachman/Wade/Cortez
2016: Wade/Tabari/Cortez/Bachman

Like from the 2020 or 2021 team who do you take targets from to put towards the TEs especially when you're already throwing almost 40 times a game? Same thing in 2022 with Donny/Ke'Shawn/Morin/A.T/Banks. So many mouths to feed but only one ball

a lot of it is just need and types of TEs. Cam was a receiver playing TE, the guys they've recruited with the exception of Gavin Ellis and Frogge(who missed this year being hurt) have been more blockers turning into pass catchers. They haven't really prioritized the pass catching over blocking due to the receivers.

The level of receivers is just exponentially better now.

2021: Roberson/Ke'Shawn/Morin/A.T/Stewart
2020: Roberson/Donavon Greene/Morin/A.T
2019: Kendall/Sage/Scotty
2018: Dortch/Sage dealing with an injury all year/Bachman/Scotty
2017: Dortch/Tabari/scotty in his second year of action/Bachman/Wade/Cortez
2016: Wade/Tabari/Cortez/Bachman

Like from the 2020 or 2021 team who do you take targets from to put towards the TEs especially when you're already throwing almost 40 times a game? Same thing in 2022 with Donny/Ke'Shawn/Morin/A.T/Banks. So many mouths to feed but only one ball

Sam has been pretty good about spreading the wealth. A good receiving tight end gives opposing defenses on more guy to worry about and try to cover.

Sam has been pretty good about spreading the wealth. A good receiving tight end gives opposing defenses on more guy to worry about and try to cover.

That is quite literally the head coach's explanation of why the targets aren't there lol

It's not like Chapman or Whiteheart haven't been open or made tough catches

Wow, was that really their word choice? Wake really has a local media problem.

Yes, “bleak blow” was the word choice. To my mind it reflects a traditional negative mindset in the local and national media about WF Football. It is a simplistic take and reflects the broadcaster’s ignorance of the stable of RBs at WF. It reflects a disregard for WF’s obvious good work in building a program. Defenders of local media typically respond with the argument they’re not homers but when you reflect total ignorance of the program then that has nothing to do with being a homer. That has everything to do with a traditional disregard of WF’s good work.

Both Clawson and Hartman in their Gator Bowl celebration comments referenced WF bringing more than 6 fans because
they’re trying to change the prevailing mindset which apparently will take a very long time to change. Funny thing is that an un-informed outsider hearing that comment would not necessarily know they were being complimentary.

To clarify/confirm Zach Tom's Instagram post: Yes, he's going to the NFL. Kinda figured that all season.

Talked to him tonight, full story here.

Yet another bleak blow.

I heard (from what I consider a reliable source) yesterday that Greer is entering the draft, but I haven’t seen any confirmation.

I heard (from what I consider a reliable source) yesterday that Greer is entering the draft, but I haven’t seen any confirmation.

That’s interesting, I wouldn’t assume he has any chance at all of getting drafted. How many games did he even end up playing this year?

If he’s healthy now he seems like someone who could really show out at pro day workouts

That’s interesting, I wouldn’t assume he has any chance at all of getting drafted. How many games did he even end up playing this year?

Hope he got his degree. He has played about 1/2 a season for Wake, injured the rest of the time. Maybe football is not for him. Can't imagine anyone paying him a dollar to play professional football.

Greer has the physical talent to play at the next level but he would have to make it starting as a camp invite so it will be a very tough road.

Hope he got his degree. He has played about 1/2 a season for Wake, injured the rest of the time. Maybe football is not for him. Can't imagine anyone paying him a dollar to play professional football.

If he's healthy like he was during his best games at Wake, he'll get look from NFL teams. Some teams may think they can keep him healthy. If that doesn't work out, he'll be starting his non football playing career this summer.

Back