• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

Here is another one that confuses me. Wake has offered Mateen Ibirogba a sophomore DE out of Georgetown, who has played two seasons of college football. According to everything we have heard, this is the exact type of player that we would not be able to go after because of credits. He started college after Covid, so he only has 4 years of eligibility, and he played more than 4 games in his freshmen and sophomore seasons, so he only has two seasons of eligibility left.

the rule that gets quoted here is that WF requires students to complete half of their coursework at WF. So we can take someone who has completed two academic years, which is the case for this person. Where we have issues are those who have completed three academic years without graduating.

Here is another one that confuses me. Wake has offered Mateen Ibirogba a sophomore DE out of Georgetown, who has played two seasons of college football. According to everything we have heard, this is the exact type of player that we would not be able to go after because of credits. He started college after Covid, so he only has 4 years of eligibility, and he played more than 4 games in his freshmen and sophomore seasons, so he only has two seasons of eligibility left.

Any chance his credits from Georgetown have better odds of being accepted by Wake?

the rule that gets quoted here is that WF requires students to complete half of their coursework at WF. So we can take someone who has completed two academic years, which is the case for this person. Where we have issues are those who have completed three academic years without graduating.
So we can take players that have completed 1, 2 or 4 years if they have graduate, but not 3. And the inability to take players with 3 years puts us a significant competitive disadvantage?

This was also my understanding, that the primary type of recruit that Wake can't really get is players that are incoming seniors academically. And I can't really think of anyone off the top of my head that would be an exception to that in any sport.

But I can definitely think of players that are coming in to Wake with 2 years of academic credits: Hunter Sallis and Chase Burns are two in non-football sports that immediately come to mind

So we can take players that have completed 1, 2 or 4 years if they have graduate, but not 3. And the inability to take players with 3 years puts us a significant competitive disadvantage?

I agree with your first sentence

And one of them is a guy that a bunch of you guys complained about getting playing time all last season at Wake (Ellison). Should Indiana be excited about getting a guy that a bunch of Wake fans regularly complained about just because he was a P5 starter?
We had RB’s. I’d happily take the backup QB for a good program that already had a starter.

Not something I would know regularly. Most of the time, I are looped in after the fact.

RTQ isn't legally able to offer any prospective student-athlete until they're officially enrolled on campus.
Previously I think you've indicated that NIL money isn't going to be a big problem for Wake when compared to our "peer football schools" over the last couple decades, teams like State, VT, GT, Maryland, Indiana, Vandy, Cuse, Northwestern, etc. Do you still feel that to be the case? We all know we're not going to ever be major players for 7 figure NIL kids, but we do seem to be lagging behind at the moment.

Can you share any insight if this is due to recruiting/program perception or size of NIL war chest? Maybe we're just moneyballing everyone, and things will work out great - who knows.

This was also my understanding, that the primary type of recruit that Wake can't really get is players that are incoming seniors academically. And I can't really think of anyone off the top of my head that would be an exception to that in any sport.

But I can definitely think of players that are coming in to Wake with 2 years of academic credits: Hunter Sallis and Chase Burns are two in non-football sports that immediately come to mind
Wake Forest requires students to have at least 60 credit hours taken at Wake Forest in order to graduate with a Wake Forest undergraduate degree (which is public knowledge... it's on the Registrar's website for transfer students). My understanding is that third- or fourth-year athletes that transfer in run the risk of eligibility concerns due to the fact that they will not graduate on time (since they have to meet the 60 credit hour requirement).

As for which credits actually transfer, that's done case-by-case through individual departments and the Registrar's Office. There are certain departments that flat-out will not accept 2-year college credits, but almost all will accept 4-year institution credits in some capacity. (It's all overly complex, yes.)

Long story short: first- or second-year transfers are no problem. Graduate transfers don't have to care about the 60 credit hours, so they're no problem. It's specifically students who have less than 4 semesters of class time once they're at Wake in order to meet the 60 credit hour requirement that are no-gos.

yeah i actually heard a more nuanced answer on the eligibility thing, but it was definitely some combination of factors, including whether they player enrolled early and if any credits can't transfer. the latter of which impacted one player in the past who i assumed to be casey washington.

(kevin pointer did transfer in after two seasons)

the lines are blurry, but there are p5 transfers who are looking for a big payday / upgrade and some p5 transfers who are probably mostly looking to play more. we've gotten a ton of the latter but those dudes have not been super productive. not sure how realistic getting guys in the first bucket is.

from the last 5 years. FBS has been the most productive by far followed by g5, imo.

P5 Transfers
  • terrence davis (prob our highest ranked guy)
  • donald stewart
  • jack crane
  • kj trujlio
  • luiji vilain
  • christian turner
  • brendon harris
  • walker merrill

G5
  • miles fox
  • chelen garnes
  • kevin pointer
  • eldrick robinson
  • jaeger bull

FCS
  • isaiah wingfield
  • malik mustapha
  • kobie turner
  • jacob roberts
  • bryce ganious

D2/D3
  • jermal martin
  • demarcus rankin
  • nick helbig

^fyi on transfers from different levels.

i do think syracuse with their new coach is operating on another level with recruiting right now (relative to historical recruiting), so something to keep an eye on. but other than that, i don't think the p5 guys who are going to the non-elite programs are particularly exciting.

Previously I think you've indicated that NIL money isn't going to be a big problem for Wake when compared to our "peer football schools" over the last couple decades, teams like State, VT, GT, Maryland, Indiana, Vandy, Cuse, Northwestern, etc. Do you still feel that to be the case? We all know we're not going to ever be major players for 7 figure NIL kids, but we do seem to be lagging behind at the moment.

Can you share any insight if this is due to recruiting/program perception or size of NIL war chest? Maybe we're just moneyballing everyone, and things will work out great - who knows.
RTQ was given a number to hit so we would be in-line with our peer football schools. We hit that number (& honesty then some) thanks to a couple folks doing more (we still need more people in numbers over the future, as it isn't sustainable to rely on the same group YOY).

We also have a group that has said they are willing to step up (in a major way) should the opportunity arise in the portal for a premium position at a premium price.

I do not have much insight into how recruiting is playing out / program perception, as we're not directly part of the football staff/program, but RTQ has the NIL war chest in football to compete with our peers (and schools mentioned on this thread).

RTQ was given a number to hit so we would be in-line with our peer football schools. We hit that number (& honesty then some) thanks to a couple folks doing more (we still need more people in numbers over the future, as it isn't sustainable to rely on the same group YOY).

We also have a group that has said they are willing to step up (in a major way) should the opportunity arise in the portal for a premium position at a premium price.

I do not have much insight into how recruiting is playing out / program perception, as we're not directly part of the football staff/program, but RTQ has the NIL war chest in football to compete with our peers (and schools mentioned on this thread).
Great insight. Thank you. Sounds like it's on the coaches to get shit done.

According to Hall's 247 profile, he had a ton of Power V offers out of HS, including UGA. Michigan and Florida.

Because WF doesn't have a transfer from a Power V school?

Wow, such a sophisticated analysis.
Negative. It is an opinion built on the last 6 months or so, mainly on his own statements. This is just reinforcing the issue. I’m not a Clawson can do no wrong person like many.

Say it again and louder for the folks in the back

I don't see many Clawson can do no wrong people at all. He's got to prove it, like everyone else. Evaluating Clawson, he's down well in the portal:

Kobe Turner (BTW, he either leads or is top 3 in the NFL sacks by rookie):

Malik Mustapha
Jacob Roberts
Chelen Garnes
Kevin Pointer
Bryce Gainous
Luiji Vilain

So far, WF has landed four in the portal and it sounds like another commit is in hand. Maybe, you have broken down the film on Kent, Indiana State and S. Illinois and determine that these guys can't play; if so, kudos.

Back