• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Black Monday Thread

Really good move by the Lions.

From CoachingSearch:

According to CBS' Jason LaCanfora, Washington general manager Bruce Allen has told others that he will interview 10-12 candidates and then re-interview 2-3 finalists.

Good god that's a lot of interviews.

Some bits

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m
#Redskins plan to interview #Vanderbilt coach James Franklin, per source. Likely this week. Former Maryland OC has ties to the area.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 19m
Four teams requested permission to interview Jay Gruden shortly after CIN loss last night, sources said - Skins, Vikings, Lions and Titans

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m
Is this the year for Mike Zimmer? The #Bengals veteran DC plans to interview with the #Redskins and the #Vikings, per 2 sources.

MarkMaske ‏@MarkMaske 29m
Redskins seek Bengals' permission to interview Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer for vacant head coaching job, source says

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 17m
If Im #Bengals fan, Im hoping Jay Gruden gets HC job so Marvin can promote Hue Jackson to OC. They call that an in-house upgrade.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 44m
Report: Vikings, Redskins reach out to Greg Roman

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 42m
They won’t. Will be Josh McDaniels’ job. MT @claymal: @footballscoop why would franklin (or malzahn) leave to go to the browns?

Last edited:
Miami OC Mike Sherman has been fired. I have to admit that this surprises since Philbin was pretty adamant about wanting to keep him.

Miami OC Mike Sherman has been fired. I have to admit that this surprises since Philbin was pretty adamant about wanting to keep him.

I wonder what this means for Zach Taylor. Seems like Tannehill wasn't the issue.

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington 9m
I'm told Jay Gruden and the Redskins are currently working out the final details to make him the team's new head coach.

ETA: Done deal.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Jay Gruden has agreed to become the next head coach of the Washington Redskins, per league source.

Whisenhunt was my #1, but I'm OK with Gruden. Young, offensive mind, not a retread big name (Shanny, Gibbs, reportedly Cowher or Jon Gruden this year) or a POS came-out-of-nowhere guy (Zorn). If he can get Dalton to throw 33 TDs, he must be doing something right. I wasn't particularly excited about anyone other than Whiz.

Other news:

-McDaniels withdraws from Browns search after being told he wasn't the #1 choice.
-Mike Munchak had a "great visit" with the Lions
-Dolphins interested in Kyle Shanahan and Gary Kubiak for OC ("SOURCES" leaked that Shanny wanted Tannehill in the 2012 draft, so that'd be fun)

Last edited:
I'm feeling good about Gruden. You're spot on about this being a different type of hire compared to Snyder's previous 5.

Jay Gruden come on down!

Have no problem with the hire but its hard to feel optimistic about anything the skins do.

I don't really understand the Jay Gruden hype. Didn't his offense just get shut down at home by the Chargers? Plus Andy Dalton. Yuck.

Well they put up 439 yards with 326 passing yards (both 3rd in playoffs), but only 10 points (last). Bernard had that horrible fumble in the redzone in the first half, and then Dalton had those three turnovers in the 2nd half. I guess you either infer that Gruden put up a Top 10 offense in Cincy despite having Dalton or couldn't get Dalton over the hump.

I can't blame McDaniels for staying in NE. The last guy who was hired by the Browns, who wasn't their #1 guy, wasn't treated real well. If you were Jay Gruden, would you trade Kirk Cousins for draft picks? Maybe for the second 1st rounder that Cleveland has?

Kirk Cousins is not worth a 1st round pick. Maybe a 3rd or a 4th. Dude hasn't really proven anything.

In 8 career games he has a 56% with 8 TDs and 10 INTs. His QB Rating is 68.6.

Last edited:
From @mortreport and me: Ken Whisenhunt has accepted an offer to become the next coach of Tennessee Titans.

Lions have spent day in talks with Ravens HC Jim Caldwell and Detroit has been focusing on him, via @mortreport and me.

Lions just being the Lions. Jeez. Whiz is right there, and you let him slip away.

Back