• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread -Tom Brady beats the NFL

supposedly Madden helped in the coaching search. a shame Harbaugh went to Michigan since he has shown he can build a program from the bottom up.

see what happens at the draft, etc.

eta:Kubiak will be coach in Denver

Last edited:
Mort just threw Troy Calhoun out as a dark horse candidate. I didn't hear destination but I assume Denver.

Mort just threw Troy Calhoun out as a dark horse candidate. I didn't hear destination but I assume Denver.

Calhoun was a special teams assistant in Denver under Shanahan, but his teams have never run anything close to an NFL-type of offense. Maybe with Kyle Shanahan as his OC, it could work, but it would be next to impossible for Calhoun to provide any substantive input to the offense, particularly if Peyton returns. I get the leader of men aspect, but Mountain West to NFL is a serious jump.

Erm, Calhoun was the OC for the Texans in 06. I think he could have some sway over the offense

Calhoun was a special teams assistant in Denver under Shanahan, but his teams have never run anything close to an NFL-type of offense. Maybe with Kyle Shanahan as his OC, it could work, but it would be next to impossible for Calhoun to provide any substantive input to the offense, particularly if Peyton returns. I get the leader of men aspect, but Mountain West to NFL is a serious jump.

Who cares? So long as Manning is there he is running the offense. Do you think Fox had much input on the offense? Now whether Calhoun would be of any value to the defense is a different sotry.

hmm, the yahoo article mentioning Kubiak disappeared.
There was a report out today that the Broncos have not even asked the Ravens for permission to talk with him yet so who knows what is going on there. From Elway's talks about the Broncos not putting up enough fight in the playoffs, Kubiak might not be Elway's first choice but rather one of the DC (Quinn, Austin) that have their defenses playing with an attitude.

Is Peyton even playing football next year? Seems like that issue needs to be resolved before making the next hire unless Peyton agrees to be the OC if he retires.

So Del Rio to Raiders,

Quinn to Falcons?

Fox to Chicago?

Gase to SF?

That's kinda what it's looking like at this point. I wonder who Quinn will have as his coordinators?

Word on the street in the A is that neither Rex nor Bowles was ever extended an offer, but were asked for more interviews, which means that they may have been in on Quinn the whole time (they did meet with him during playoff bye week). The word also is that Bowles was a top candidate, but they didnt like the fact that his coordinator choices were thin (we can see why now).

There was a report out today that the Broncos have not even asked the Ravens for permission to talk with him yet so who knows what is going on there. From Elway's talks about the Broncos not putting up enough fight in the playoffs, Kubiak might not be Elway's first choice but rather one of the DC (Quinn, Austin) that have their defenses playing with an attitude.

Elway's comments about fight and attitude were juvenile. He is a freaking GM; do you think the reason that the 4 teams remaining in the playoffs are QB'd by Rodgers, Brady, Luck and Wilson have anything to do with results or was it the team's attitude? Do you think that the fact that the Seahawks defense is the most talented in the NFL has anything to do with the Seahawks current run (notice that Pete Carroll was a mediocre NFL coach, as was Belicek, until he found a QB and a defense). The Tampa Bucs had a lot of fight and attitude with Greg Schiano at the helm (as did the Lions with Jim Schwarz), how did that work out?

The win one for the Gipper speaches don't do it without the NFL talent, and stone cold schemers like Belicek win. Not some rah rah Coach Cleats...

Elway's comments about fight and attitude were juvenile. He is a freaking GM; do you think the reason that the 4 teams remaining in the playoffs are QB'd by Rodgers, Brady, Luck and Wilson have anything to do with results or was it the team's attitude? Do you think that the fact that the Seahawks defense is the most talented in the NFL has anything to do with the Seahawks current run (notice that Pete Carroll was a mediocre NFL coach, as was Belicek, until he found a QB and a defense). The Tampa Bucs had a lot of fight and attitude with Greg Schiano at the helm (as did the Lions with Jim Schwarz), how did that work out?

The win one for the Gipper speaches don't do it without the NFL talent, and stone cold schemers like Belicek win. Not some rah rah Coach Cleats...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...echo-in-aftermath-of-broncos-coaching-change/

I agree and disagree. You definitely have to have good talent to win in the playoffs and it is especially true for the QB position. However, the coaches have got to get their teams ready to play and the players have got to be ready to play. In the Broncos loss, Manning was hurt and that was a huge problem. But rather than developing a system to minimize the injury, the Broncos played a soft defense against the best young QB and got away from their different running plays to have Manning pass way too much. Then you have the WRs watching plays on the video board rather than keeping blocks, WRs dropping easy passes, defenders losing their man way too easily, and just an overall lackadaisical attitude from most of the team.

Most teams that get to the divisional round of the playoffs have very good talent, so it becomes much more about execution and effort. Both were lacking in Denver's loss last Sunday.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Now official: 49ers have informed Adam Gase they're going in a different direction. Jim Tomsula will be 49ers new HC.

-----
So the 49ers declined Gase instead of the other way around. He'll probably end up staying as the Broncos' OC for a year then he can get a head coach job and Manning rides off into retirement after one last try.

Or nobody wanted to go to the Falcons.....

Really? You really think that someone would rather coach the Jets or the Bills before the Falcons?

My homerism aside, pretty much everyone out there has said that the Falcons job is the best one out there. Consistent T10 offense and a 1.25 billion dollar stadium under construction, but no one wants to come. Got it.

I will admit that the new stadium is pretty sweet

I think the bills have some talent though, can definitely see the appeal for a defensive coach

Back