• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL preseason thread

In 2001 the Falcons traded their 1st, 3rd, the 2002 2nd and WR Tim Dwight to move up from #5. The Chargers took Ladanian Tomlinson.

Not nearly as much but the Redskins were also competing with the Browns, who were offering something comparable.

ETA: Also in 2004 the Chargers got a 1, 3 and a 5 from the Giants to move down to 4 and draft Rivers instead of Eli.

Last edited:
I like RGIII but it is going to be tough to surround him with some good olinemen and offensive weapons without another pick til the 3rd round this year and no 1st in 2013 or 2014. Building through FA is not the way.

Also, for some reason the Jets just gave the Sanchize a crazy extension through 2016 for 58 million total. He is now the 7th highest paid QB.

That is insane.

Serious question: how many teams gave away a boat load (the way the Redskins just did) to get one of those QBs?
Not sure. However, the teams that didn't trade up, absolutely sucked the year before and got the 1st overall pick so it's pretty similar situations. Worst team in the league not giving up anything, or mediocre team giving up a lot...

I'm counting RGIII as equivalent to a #1 overall pick because without Luck, he would be, and the Redskins gave up enough they value him comparably to a #1 overall pick.

#1 QB picks since 1983:

1983: John Elway (F)
1987: Vinny Testaverde (F)
1989: Troy Aikman (F)
1990: Jeff George (B)
1993: Drew Bledsoe (F)
1998: Peyton Manning (F)
1999: Tim Couch (B)
2001: Michael Vick (F)
2002: David Carr (B)
2003: Carson Palmer
2004: Eli Manning (F)
2005: Alex Smith
2007: JaMarcus Russel (B)
2009: Matthew Stafford
2010: Sam Bradford

15 picks. 7 franchise QBs. 4 clear busts. Jury still out on Bradford and Stafford. Not sure how you evaluate Carson Palmer and Alex Smith.

If just one of those four unknowns can be classified as a franchise QB, then you have greater than 50% of your #1 overall QB picks turning into franchise QBs.

Yes, it's a risk, but it seems to be a worthwhile gamble. You also need to consider that the only top QB in the past however many years to be acquired not through the draft was Drew Brees.

CAM

How can the jury still be out on the great Cam Newton?!?! He faux rips off his jersey to symbolize that he is SUPERMAN.

FUCKING SUPERMAN!! HOF is a lock.

Kyle Shanahan better be real careful about insinuating Griffin's having trouble with the playbook, I'll tell you that much.

Is it a Redskins move? Yes. Does that mean it's a bad move? No

The Redskins are NEVER winning shit as long as Snyder is the owner.....unless they hit the lottery on a franchise QB. That's literally the only way. This team isn't going to go out and build a contender from the ground up with these picks! Dan Snyder is a fucking cancer. But if RGIII is a franchise QB then even that turd can put enough pieces around him to at least be a playoff team.

This is a great move and I'd do it again tomorrow. Fuck it, throw in another first rounder just for the fuck of it.

It is not 3 1st rounders! it is 2 first rounders and this is not any different from what the Bears did to get Cutler.
We got a whole draft for the Ricky Williams pick, 2 first rounders for Sean Gilbert and what did we get in return.......1 playoff win!
If I am gambling, I am gambling on snatching either RGIII or Luck.

Jay Cutler has worked out for the Chicago Bears. We should all model our strategy around that brilliance.

I think this along with Sanchez signing extension means Manning may be done deal to Broncos.

I like RGIII, I hate the Skins...not liking this move.

But Bradford and the Rams must be pretty happy...Mel Kiper's mock draft had them taking Blackmon at #2 before this...now that it's going to be Luck/RGIII at #1/#2, where do Minnesota, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay go now?

Will Blackmon still fall to the Rams at #6?

manning to the broncos makes zero sense. who the hell are their WRs? do we have to draft fucking eddie royal this yr? they won last yr when they started running 95% of the time. they have a nice defense, but nothing on offense. mcgahee is going to be back to being mediocre when tebow is on the pine. they better swing tebow to jax for this yr's 1st and 2nd round picks to give peyton something to work with on offense.

I'm counting the New York Giants pick as the equivalent of the overall #1 pick, because without the 31 picks before that it would be.

RG3 wasn't thought to go that high in the draft until very recently. The desperation some teams have for a QB is what moved him near the top. Maybe he'll be great - it's possible - but a long way from a sure thing.

I'm counting RGIII as equivalent to a #1 overall pick because without Luck, he would be, and the Redskins gave up enough they value him comparably to a #1 overall pick.

#1 QB picks since 1983:

1983: John Elway (F)
1987: Vinny Testaverde (F)
1989: Troy Aikman (F)
1990: Jeff George (B)
1993: Drew Bledsoe (F)
1998: Peyton Manning (F)
1999: Tim Couch (B)
2001: Michael Vick (F)
2002: David Carr (B)
2003: Carson Palmer
2004: Eli Manning (F)
2005: Alex Smith
2007: JaMarcus Russel (B)
2009: Matthew Stafford
2010: Sam Bradford

15 picks. 7 franchise QBs. 4 clear busts. Jury still out on Bradford and Stafford. Not sure how you evaluate Carson Palmer and Alex Smith.

If just one of those four unknowns can be classified as a franchise QB, then you have greater than 50% of your #1 overall QB picks turning into franchise QBs.

Yes, it's a risk, but it seems to be a worthwhile gamble. You also need to consider that the only top QB in the past however many years to be acquired not through the draft was Drew Brees.

The Giants cut Brandon Jacobs for cap reasons. Bradshaw is usually hurt for a majority of the season, so we need to go find another RB.

With regard to RGIII, the Panthers were considered to be taking a huge risk on Cam, but they had the #1 pick already. Obviously it paid, off, but that doesn't mean every risk will pay off. I think RGIII is as big a risk as Cam, and it seems a stretch to give up 3 #1s for that risk.

Last edited:
Back