• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Year 2021 Superbowl LVI. Rams win! Wolford gets a ring!.

For decades, especially during the retread era people explained that there were few Black head coaches because there weren't many Black assistants with experience. Now that we have Black coaches with 20, 30+ years of experience, 30-something white guys are the hot hires.

I really don't know what is going to change it. There are 5 black GMS in the NFL, two of them, lions and falcons, both hired white guys last year and another fired Flores after two winning seasons. So will the new Rooney Rule for front office positions make a difference in hiring coaches? If not, does that mean the NFL needs more black owners before a change will happen? The excuse for Leftwich if he doesn't get a job will be the Bucs going far in the playoffs, and if Bienemy doesn't get a job it will be the same excuses as before. Raheem Morris, Todd Bowles, and Leslie Frazier could all be in line with another chance this year. Mayo is getting looks despite being young. Flores should get another HC job this cycle. That is alot of quality candidates.

One issue may be the emphasis on offenses and quarterback play. Most offensive coordinators are white guys, and many of them were QB coaches before that. How would the NFL fix that? So many of these hires are guys who are the sons of old coaches so it looks like the wheel will keep on turning with little changes.

I really don't know what is going to change it. There are 5 black GMS in the NFL, two of them, lions and falcons, both hired white guys last year and another fired Flores after two winning seasons. So will the new Rooney Rule for front office positions make a difference in hiring coaches? If not, does that mean the NFL needs more black owners before a change will happen? The excuse for Leftwich if he doesn't get a job will be Tom Brady being his quarterback, and if Bienemy doesn't get a job it will be the same excuses as before. Raheem Morris, Todd Bowles, and Leslie Frazier could all be in line with another chance this year. Mayo is getting looks despite being young. Flores should get another HC job this cycle. That is alot of quality candidates.

One issue may be the emphasis on offenses and quarterback play. Most offensive coordinators are white guys, and many of them were QB coaches before that. How would the NFL fix that? So many of these hires are guys who are the sons of old coaches so it looks like the wheel will keep on turning with little changes.

fixed it for you

Oh boy.

For decades, especially during the retread era people explained that there were few Black head coaches because there weren't many Black assistants with experience. Now that we have Black coaches with 20, 30+ years of experience, 30-something white guys are the hot hires.

He's 42 and he played to age 40.

Sure. Doesn’t mean he’s owed a head coaching job. He could be a QB coach next season, and OC after that, and be a head coach by 45.

I'm not sure why teams are looking into Jim Caldwell. He's 67 and would be taking over a team that isn't good. Belichick (69), Carroll (70), and Arians (69) are the only older coaches and surely everyone believes they're on their last jobs. Apparently he's turned down the Vikings and Raiders for interviews.

Now whether or not those teams were serious about considering him or just trying to satisfy the Rooney Rule is debatable, but they could have interviewed any other minority candidate. Also worth wondering if he turned them down because he has something else lined up that he's actually interested in (Bears?), has no interest in coaching, or just didn't want to be the stooge in those teams charade.

Maybe your team should also get a couple of comps when you hire a minority as a coach or front office member. I know my Ravens surely appreciated 2 3rds when Houston decided to rent Culley for a year. So that would be additional incentive.

FWIW, I still think we get 3-4 minority hires this cycle. Flores gets hired right away. And between Frazier, Bowles, Leftwich and Bienemy, a few of them get hired. Bienemy is the strangest case. Both he and Reid have been frustrated he hasn't gotten a HC gig yet. But in this cycle, only Denver is interviewing him. Hell, he could luck into going from winning a SB with Mahomes to winning a SB with Rodgers.

The odd situation to me right now is Seattle. They're replacing their DC but are keeping Carroll and Schneider with Wilson apparently in tow. And mum's the word from the Wilson and Ciara camp. I find it hard to believe he's fine with the state of things there.

Caldwell has a career record over .500 including going over .500 at two different stops. I doubt there are many available HC candidates who can say that. He's a good fit for a turnaround coach to get a team from 6 or fewer wins to the playoffs. He's well-respected, well-connected, and would have no problem putting together a staff. If he was hired, he'd be 13th among current coaches in win percentage. I imagine he'd be up for coaching 3 years in the right situation.

I don't think he's a bad coach. I think he's too old for most teams to consider.

Arians (who is also old) had a team in the NFC Championship game a year before the Bucs hired him. Caldwell hasn't coached in five years and hasn't won a playoff game since 2009.

Bieniemy must be a horrible interviewee or something, he has interviewed with a quarter of the NFL at this point. Looking into this the reasons I am seeing why he hasn't been hired is, never been a HC, not the playcaller, and apparently according to a Doug Gottlieb radio show, he wasn't well prepared in his interviews, and didn't have a good plan (something I have also been guilty of in interviews).

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2021-01-26-the-real-reason-why-eric-bieniemy-isnt-getting-hired-as-an-nfl-head-coach/

Caldwell has a career record over .500 including going over .500 at two different stops. I doubt there are many available HC candidates who can say that. He's a good fit for a turnaround coach to get a team from 6 or fewer wins to the playoffs. He's well-respected, well-connected, and would have no problem putting together a staff. If he was hired, he'd be 13th among current coaches in win percentage. I imagine he'd be up for coaching 3 years in the right situation.

I've agreed with you as to Caldwell as a coach. But given his age and health problems, the names I'd be interested in this hiring cycle would be Flores, Bienemy, Bowles, Daboll and Leftwich. And I don't get why any team would be interested in someone from the Belichick tree not named Flores.

Report: Jonathan Gannon considered “front-runner” for Texans head coaching job

Gannon has been the Eagles DC for 1 year, and the Eagles have the 18th ranked scoring defense this year. Football Outsiders has the Eagles as the 25th ranked defense. I'll credit him this much, our secondary has improved-going into last years draft, we though CB was a dire need, turns out they just needed to not be in so many 1 on 1 situations. Still seems like teams could do better.

It’s a bit perplexing that Gannon is already receiving serious head coach interest just one year after being hired as the Eagles’ defensive coordinator. The aforementioned ESPN article compares Gannon to Los Angeles Chargers head coach Brandon Staley.
But Staley oversaw the league’s top defense in 2020. He had a stronger resume than Gannon, whose defense shut down some bad quarterbacks but really struggled against the league’s better passers. It’s possible Gannon could make for a better head coach than defensive coordinator but one would figure there are more qualified candidates out there. I mean, why is Gannon thought more highly of than DeMeco Ryans, for example?

Gannon was an low level assistant for 7 seasons, assistant 3 seasons, and DC for one year for the 18th ranked scoring defense.

DeMeco Ryans had a 10 year NFL career, 1 year as a low level assistant, assistant 3 seasons, and DC for one year for the 8th ranked scoring defense. And he's 2 years younger than Gannon.

Actually, this is the much more important tweet.

Kind of mysterious. Did he take them or was he not offered an interview?

Jessie Bates INT on the first play of the game!

(lol, Tannehill)

Back