• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Year 2021 Superbowl LVI. Rams win! Wolford gets a ring!.

I’m still trying to process why Jerry Richardson was forced to sell the Panthers but Snyder and Kraft aren’t.

Why would Kraft have to sell? He was getting massages with happy endings, which I assume he paid for. Do you hate capitalism?

But I agree about Snyder and don't get it. His behavior is worse than Richardson's, he is despised by his fan base, yet all we hear from the league office is crickets.

Why would Kraft have to sell? He was getting massages with happy endings, which I assume he paid for. Do you hate capitalism?

But I agree about Snyder and don't get it. His behavior is worse than Richardson's, he is despised by his fan base, yet all we hear from the league office is crickets.

What we as a society have collectively agreed to accept from white men in power has shifted since then. 2017 was the height of hashtag protests. The Overton Window has shifted and now we expect most men in power to be creeps.

I’m still trying to process why Jerry Richardson was forced to sell the Panthers but Snyder and Kraft aren’t.

Those living in CLT are more aware of the details of the Richardson situation, but in DC, it has been explained that Richardson had already decided to not keep the franchise in the family (was there a falling out with his kids?) and he was moving toward selling the Panthers anyway; the NFL accelerated the process, but didn't force the sale. Is that wrong?

Snyder is universally hated in DC. Home tickets used to be impossible to find. Now, the Redskins/WFT/Commanders are DFL in the NFL in attendance. Road fans always out-number home fans in DC now. The franchise is a joke in DC now. Think the NFL would love to force Snyder to sell, but so far, everything has been he said/she said, and Snyder has forced essentially every employee to sign NDAs. Snyder is also well-armed with lawyers; so, the NFL knows that if it goes to war with Snyder; he won't roll over, and he would make it ugly. The hope is this newly announced NFL investigation will find a smoking gun document that will lead to his ouster.

Kraft situation didn't involve a team employee. He's also well-regarded among fellow owners. Would guess a large majority of NFL owners might be looking over their shoulder if Kraft was forced out for a rub and tug.

https://thegrio.com/2022/02/11/black-coaches-statistical-breakdown-nfl-racism/

[h=4]How We Did It[/h] To examine the statistical data, we decided to exclude the years when the NFL was racist and concentrated on the post-1989 era NFL. Because some coaches benefit from their past performance—and rightfully so—we also didn’t count coaches already employed when the Raiders hired Shell. For instance, Hall of Fame head coach Bill Parcells’ 77 wins and 1990 Super Bowl title with the Giants doesn’t count in our dataset because he was hired in the pre-Shell era. While that might not seem fair, Bill Belichick’s record isn’t saddled with his abysmal .450 winning percentage from his pre-Patriot days as coach of the Cleveland Browns.

We also excluded interim head coaches like Perry Fewell because they were never technically hired. And, instead of plumbing everyone into the category of “people of color,” we only looked at the 20 Black coaches and the 132 white coaches who have led NFL teams since 1989.

[h=4]Where Did All These White Guys Come From?[/h] Perhaps the most startling part of the racial disparities in head coaching jobs is the sheer ability of NFL owners’ to find white men. In a league that fluctuated between 54 and 72 percent African-American players over the last 33 years, white coaches accounted for 84 percent of the new hires, while Black coaches make up less than 12 percent of the new hires. Thirteen NFL teams—nearly half of the league’s 32 franchises (Bills, Commanders, Cowboys, Falcons, Giants, Jaguars, Panthers, Patriots, Rams, Ravens, Seahawks, Saints and Titans)—have never hired a Black man as head coach.
This might be because, as Deflector’s Kalyn Kahler discovered, 14 percent of the 792 coaches employed by NFL teams in March 2021 were related to current or former NFL coaches. More than a third of the current coaches in the NFL are family members of a former or current coach. Before Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay became the youngest head coach in history, his grandfather was the general manager of the San Francisco 49ers, which is led by Kyle Shanahan, whose father Mike was the longtime coach of the Denver Broncos, whose new head coach is Nathaniel Hackett, whose father served as the offensive coordinator for eight NFL teams, including the team led by Sean McVay’s grandfather. See how it works?

It’s not just nepotism, though. Maybe the NFL’s sidelines are so white because 98 percent of the general managers hired since 1989 have been white. Or perhaps it’s because white men don’t even need NFL experience to become a head coach. Eight percent of the white men who led teams over the last decade had never coached at any position in the NFL—something that has never happened for a Black coach. In fact, 9 out of 10 white men who coached in the NFL never played in the league, while most of the NFL’s Black coaches were former players.

Or perhaps it’s because white men make up 84 percent of the offensive and defensive coordinators—typically the second-highest-ranking coach on a team.

“People forget that the NFL is a corporation,” one Black current defensive coordinator told theGrio. “Just because the best workers are Black doesn’t mean they’re gonna be promoted to team leader. It’s just like corporate America; it’s not what you know; it’s who you know.”

since the NFL and the AFL merged in 1963, only two white coaches (Marty Schottenheimer and Jimmy Johnson) have ever lost their jobs after making the playoffs twice in the five years before they were fired.

In the history of the NFL, only 17 coaches have been fired with a winning record, five of whom were Black (Shell, Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, Jim Caldwell and Brian Flores). Smith was fired after a 10-win season, Dungy after three consecutive playoff appearances and Caldwell was the last player to take the Detroit Lions to the playoffs. He did it twice. That’s right—a quarter of the Black men who ever coached in the NFL were fired with winning records. Meanwhile, 97 percent of white coaches who won more than eight games kept their position.

“I wish it was just about winning,” explained one defensive coordinator. “Especially if you coach offense. That’s why I coach defense even though I was drafted on offense. We ranked in the top 10 defenses every year I’ve ever coached. Every year. So I’m straight. But, to keep your job on offense, you gotta be considered ‘smart.’ And if you talk to any Black coach in the league, they’ll tell you ‘smart’ equals ‘white’.”

NFL_Coaches_DataGraph-1024x576.png

[h=4]The Rooney Ruse[/h] The Rooney Rule was supposed to fix this. Named after owner Dan Rooney, in 2003, the NFL began requiring every team with a head coaching vacancy to interview at least one “diverse” candidate. Since the NFL instituted the Rooney Rule, the number of Black coaches has tripled, so it worked, right?
Nope, it didn’t.
On the surface, it may look that way, but it has been harder for Black coaches to get jobs, keep jobs or even work as assistants since the Rooney Rule. Before the Rooney Rule, Black men accounted for 13 percent of new head coaching hires. Since the Rooney Rule, it has fallen to below 12 percent. Because GMs are now more likely to fire unsuccessful coaches, there have been more jobs openings per year since the Rooney Rule took effect. It just seems like it’s working because the average tenure of head coaches has decreased overall.

NFL owners essentially tripled the membership of their exclusive club and doubled the number of Black members. Sure, they have twice as many Black coaches, but the club is even whiter than before.
“When I got my first job, I interviewed with the coaching staff to work as a scout,” explained one of the few Black offensive coordinators who has interviewed for a head coaching job. “When I joined the coaching staff, I interviewed with the offensive coordinator to make sure I understood the offense. But if I want to be a head coach, you have to interview with people who never played in the league and don’t really know anything about football. They’re just looking for someone who they think is smart. Well, what’s smart? Someone who talks like them and acts like them.
“It’s not like they don’t like Black coaches—at least I don’t think they know they do. But if you look at who gets the jobs, it’s white kids who grew up in skyboxes and went on vacations with the same people who are doing the hiring. It’s not that there’s just one good ol’ boy’s club and you gotta know the secret handshake. It’s a network of good ol’ boys who grew up playing golf at all the good ol’ boys club, so [the owners] feel comfortable with another good ol’ boy!”
“When you think about it, it’s the perfect cover story,” another veteran receivers coach told theGrio. “If you tell a bunch of billionaires they don’t have to care (as long as they can just make it look like they care), and then you tell them exactly how to make it look like they care; they’re gonna game the system every time. How do you think they got that billion dollars to buy a team? By gaming the system!”

Here’s a good new policy. The winner of the Super Bowl has to buy out their coach’s contract and hire/promote a black head coach.

The fact that the losing city’s mayor is making a donation to the other city’s children’s hospital is on one level very heartening, but on the other hand offputting. “Sorry local Children’s Hospital, I’m giving money to another hospital across the country!“ Perhaps to remedy this outcome they’re matching the donation to their own hospital as well.

I sort of feel the same way about making donations for every field goal hit, etc. “Sorry local charity! We at Corporation X can’t make a donation. Your team missed a field goal.“

It's Super Bowl Sunday. Why isn't anyone discussing Jessie Bates getting his first ring tonight?

WHO DEY!!!!

Last edited:
They really built a $5 billion stadium in LA with no air conditioning.

Didn't think I'd be able to watch the game today due to some family health issues, but luckily we worked it out.

I thought the pre-game vocals were great, and the artists didn't feel the need to completely fuck it up with their crazy wayaaayaayaaayaayayayayaaaa etc.

Back