• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Year 2022. Superbowl Winner: Kansas City Chiefs!

Because there was a slight jersey grab. In that moment you let the slight grab go and don't throw flag.

Goofy announcer acted like the flag was for the even milder contact.

Olsen rightfully called it out as a bullshit call

Also, Olsen is a great color guy. 0% chance Tom Brady is better than him.

Ultimately Philly’s defense got worked in the second half and KC was going to take the lead. It’s just too bad the Eagles didn’t get a chance to score because of that penalty.

After Chiefs score on every second half possession, against a stout defense, curious if Eric Bienemy gets a real shot as a HC?

Nope. Looks like he’ll just take over when Reid retires and keep going to Super Bowls with Mahomes.

It’s probably not as controversial with a better throw. But comparing the slight hold with a ball 7 yards ahead of him is what’s jarring

Bradberry got away with one early that was more egregious, wonder how much that factored into the flag

I thought the holding was the right call

then again, I hate the Eagles so clearly my bias is probably doing some heavy lifting for how I saw the play, but Bradberry tugged JuJu twice. You can say the ball was overthrown, sure, but Juju might be able to get under it if he wasn't impeded twice going into his route.
Tough call but I compare it to a shirt grab in the box in soccer -- don't give the ref a reason to make such a big call. Bradberry fucked up and he admitted as much. Fair play to him for doing that, btw, shows some solid character holding his hands up and not hiding behind social media outrage.

If that's a penalty in the first quarter then it's a penalty in the last 2 minutes of the game. I never understood the argument that refs should "swallow their whistle" towards the end of the game. Wouldn't not calling a penalty also be them deciding the outcome only in a more egregious way considering they saw a penalty being committed?

Super Bowl LVII referee Carl Cheffers says there’s no doubt in his mind that the officials got the call right on the defensive holding penalty committed by James Bradberry in the game’s final moments.

“The receiver went to the inside and he was attempting to release to the outside. The defender grabbed the jersey with his right hand and restricted him from releasing to the outside. So, therefore, we called defensive holding,” Cheffers said.

Asked if it was clear, Cheffers said it was, and that none of the other officials disagreed with the official who threw the flag.

“It was a clear case of a jersey grab that caused restriction,” Cheffers said. “There was no debate. Just making sure what he had, and once he told us what he had, we went about our business.”

Back