• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Year 2023. Kansas City Chiefs Win Super Bowl LVIII. Defeat 49ers in Overtime. 25-22.

It sounded like Wanya Morris was able to fill in for the LT when he was hurt. Finding a capable LT in the 3rd round would be huge for financial flexibility.

Didn’t realize he played football. Maybe he will sign with Philly for a little east coast swing

Just read that Cincy is likely to tag Higgins this year, which makes a fair amount of sense given they really can't keep him and Chase long term. So they're likely going all in to win a title this upcoming season. Given the Ravens are going to lose 4 of their best defensive players and the Bills and Phins will have diminished rosters, Cincy will probably be the AFC team with the best chance of knocking off KC.

The Bengals are the one team that has no fear of the Chiefs.

The SB was the most watched broadcast in TV history.
Don't they mean most watched Super Bowl broadcast in history? Or most watched broadcast in the US in history? Because pretty sure there's a bunch of other stuff that has had more eyeballs at once (2022 World Cup final was said to have something like 1.5B viewers globally. Pope John Paul II funeral over a billion, Queen Elizabeth II funeral, William and Kate marriage, every other World Cup final, etc.) Or do they not count that stuff because it's broadcast on multiple countries across multiple networks/carriers and not possible to measure exact numbers?

Don't they mean most watched Super Bowl broadcast in history? Or most watched broadcast in the US in history? Because pretty sure there's a bunch of other stuff that has had more eyeballs at once (2022 World Cup final was said to have something like 1.5B viewers globally. Pope John Paul II funeral over a billion, Queen Elizabeth II funeral, William and Kate marriage, every other World Cup final, etc.) Or do they not count that stuff because it's broadcast on multiple countries across multiple networks/carriers and not possible to measure exact numbers?
Those other countries don't count.

We invented the TV. We will define the parameters.

Brandon Staley is a rumored candidate to replace Wilkes in SF.

Brandon Staley is a rumored candidate to replace Wilkes in SF.
While there was a drop off under Wilks this season, his D was nowhere near as bad as LAC's D has been the last 2-3 years with some pretty good personnel. With everyone already pretty situated, I'd wait till next offseason. Might get Saleh back if NYJ underwhelm.

While there was a drop off under Wilks this season, his D was nowhere near as bad as LAC's D has been the last 2-3 years with some pretty good personnel. With everyone already pretty situated, I'd wait till next offseason. Might get Saleh back if NYJ underwhelm.
It was a bad hire as Wilks ran a different scheme and had to adjust what he knows to the niners scheme which has worked under Saleh and Demeco. I'm pretty sure niners front office thought it would be a one year fix and then end with another draft pick. Wilks had bad luck on key injuries all year especially in the secondary but, damn they were awful tackling most of year. Vrabel could make sense if they don't decide to make another minority hire.

How many consecutive games did Steve Wilks win as interim HC for the Panthers?

I seem to recall him doing very well and curious why he's not getting another chance. Especially since he did that with the God awful Panthers.

And he coached a hell of a defensive game in the Super Bowl. Bosa lost contain on 4th and 1 or that game maybe is way different outcome.

How many consecutive games did Steve Wilks win as interim HC for the Panthers?

I seem to recall him doing very well and curious why he's not getting another chance. Especially since he did that with the God awful Panthers.

And he coached a hell of a defensive game in the Super Bowl. Bosa lost contain on 4th and 1 or that game maybe is way different outcome.
The whole year was reason for Wilks firing. Defense dropped from last year and again his scheme was different than what Niners have been in past granted it was a Bad hire. Hard to blame talent this year. I mean he had to move to field from booth in week 6.

Last edited:
I wish my team could get good enough to make the SB and still be disappointed enough to fire the DC.

My team has Mike McCarthy and Mike Zimmer. If this was 2012, they'd be fucking awesome!

I wish my team could get good enough to make the SB and still be disappointed enough to fire the DC.

Andy Reid saying post-game about game winning TD pass, "I can't believe they fell for that. We ran that play in the SB last year. They had to have seen it before" did not help. This and the HC staff not knowing about, preparing team for new OT rules kind of showed some deficiencies in SF coaching overall. Wilks may have been the fall guy.

Personally, I would have run one more play with :06 before kicking the game tying FG. Run slants and throw it in the end zone (we know the NCAA Football play). Either a TD or incomplete. It's a quick play that won't take :06. They were too conservative there, IMHO, playing against the GOAT QB. Extending the game by playing it safe is not in your favor.

Andy Reid saying post-game about game winning TD pass, "I can't believe they fell for that. We ran that play in the SB last year. They had to have seen it before" did not help. This and the HC staff not knowing about, preparing team for new OT rules kind of showed some deficiencies in SF coaching overall. Wilks may have been the fall guy.

Personally, I would have run one more play with :06 before kicking the game tying FG. Run slants and throw it in the end zone (we know the NCAA Football play). Either a TD or incomplete. It's a quick play that won't take :06. They were too conservative there, IMHO, playing against the GOAT QB. Extending the game by playing it safe is not in your favor.
Kansas City tied the game at the end of regulation with a FG, not the 49ers.

I saw where Shanahan threw Wilks under the bus after the loss to the Vikings and where Bosa said after the game they weren't well prepared for certain plays. The 2 he pointed out were the long run by Mahomes on the last drive and the 4th and 1. And Shanahan angrily called TO right before that long run by Mahomes, and you could see him yelling into his mic. If your HC and defensive star are willing to publicly call you out, you're probably on thin ice. So while the media is calling this a scapegoat move, it sounds like there were issues within the building. The problem now for SF is all the other DC hires have been made, and you're probably not going to get your preferred candidate.

I saw where Shanahan threw Wilks under the bus after the loss to the Vikings and where Bosa said after the game they weren't well prepared for certain plays. The 2 he pointed out were the long run by Mahomes on the last drive and the 4th and 1. And Shanahan angrily called TO right before that long run by Mahomes, and you could see him yelling into his mic. If your HC and defensive star are willing to publicly call you out, you're probably on thin ice. So while the media is calling this a scapegoat move, it sounds like there were issues within the building. The problem now for SF is all the other DC hires have been made, and you're probably not going to get your preferred candidate.
Good points.

I will say on the 4th and 1, that's what Clawson calls "setting the edge" I believe. Or keeping contain. Basically, the DE keeps his lane and does not crash inside on the fake, leaving the outside wide open, which Bosa did.

It appeared Bosa bit on the Pacheco fake inside (sort of an RPO) and thus lost the edge or contain. I'd say to Bosa: "you screwed up a basic play that we teach college kids (and probably HS), so nice try blaming Wilks for that."

Back