• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

I don't see the Canes doing anything TBH, they are too frugal. Last season had we gone in for an offensive player we might have made it to the finals. This year, feels like we're far more streaky than last year. Guess we just have to hope we get hot come playoff time.

Canes FO only makes serious deadline trades when they find what they consider
an undervalued asset. They obviously aren’t willing to overpay or really even make a competitive offer for a significant asset.

Seeing all of these contenders with loaded rosters adding huge pieces is depressing the hell out of me....everyone is basically gone and we're sticking with the same team that got swept last year by a Florida team that just added another offensive weapon....and the entire West loaded up.

The fact that we can't make ONE move with like $9million in cap space other than to take on salary for another team's trade is just stupid....especially when we have what, 10 picks in this year's draft? And all we're going to do this offseason is unload our FA's. Really bums me out. (I know that's kinda counter-intuitive and we could be saving cap space to re-sign some guys, but still...the point stands).

Canes FO only makes serious deadline trades when they find what they consider
an undervalued asset. They obviously aren’t willing to overpay or really even make a competitive offer for a significant asset.
Tony D is basically sitting on our bench doing nothing and he was a FA pickup this offseason. Surely someone would want him, a prospect and/or a pick or two to grab one of their guys. We're paying good guys to sit rather than move one for some offense. Even if you aren't trading Tony D, you could trade Pesce or Skjei (not that I really want us to, but it'd still be a move). We need to realize you can't keep doing what we've been doing expecting different results, especially when other teams are snapping up talent left and right.

Give me Vatrano or something...give Anaheim another defenseman to steady their young guys.

No need to make a move for the sake of making a move. Canes would be crazy to trade Pesce or Skjei without getting a defenseman in return imo. Those two aren’t really guys that TDA can easily replace or guys that a team with Stanley Cup aspirations deal.

It is frustrating not getting another offensive weapon though. We needed it last year, and didnt really add in summer. Max p. Was supposed to be that guy last year, but did we really replace him over summer?

No need to make a move for the sake of making a move. Canes would be crazy to trade Pesce or Skjei without getting a defenseman in return imo. Those two aren’t really guys that TDA can easily replace or guys that a team with Stanley Cup aspirations deal.

Meh....not necessarily making a move to make a move....but do you really think Colorado, Vegas, Florida, Edmonton, Dallas, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg and the Rangers had huge holes in their roster they needed to fill? They were all already at the top of the rankings. Good teams add depth, those that don't get left behind.

And with Svech unable to stay healthy for 2 weeks at a time, we need cover...and Brandon Lemieux is not it.

We need another offensive piece IMO, or we're headed for another collapse.

Vatrano makes sense because he fills that spot and has an extra year to cover for any FA's that may leave this offseason. And both Skjei and Pesce are UFA's that we may lose for nothing this offseason. I think there are reasons, means and a big opportunity to make an impactful move that can help us in the Playoffs.

Maybe I’m wrong, but this is our last 4 major trades/acquisitions:

KK - crazy offer sheet, we considered him
undervalued by the Habs - gave up our late 1st round pick

Trocheck (with term!) - way-way undervalued, picked him up for Haula, Wallmark, Chase Priskie, and Eetu Luostarinen.

Brady Skjei (with term!) - traded for late first round pick - undervalued by the Rags because he wasn’t performing up to the contract they signed him to. Our analytics saw a young 2-way left handed dman that could skate, shoot, and move the puck. He a rough first season, but has outperformed his contract ever since.

Dougie Hamilton - was undervalued by Calgary, we also received Adam Fox and Michael Ferland, for Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifan. Adam Fox is the best player in this trade but he wouldn’t play for us so we had to dump him for a 2nd and 3rd. With hindsight Carolina probably lost this trade, but in the immediate 2-3 seasons afterwards Hamilton was the best asset.

The Canes just don’t make huge trades - I think they are (1) risk adverse, (2) handcuffed by analytics.

Don’t forget picking up Nino from Minnesota, that was a great value. Wish he was still here, sucked watching him score on Saturday

I get being risk adverse, but one deal ever five years isn’t going to break the bank and can be the difference of getting swept in conf finals and hoisting a cup, or at least getting the chance. Last time we won, the only time, we had several rentals.

Bunting not in the lineup for "trade related reasons"...hmmm

Makes total sense to deal away a guy you JUST SIGNED for 3 years for some no name "analytics guy" that we're gonna get.

Though ESPN today said we are close to being in the Top 2 in for Guentzel. ¯\_ (ツ) _

what’s Guentzel’s injury? Risky? Bunting has been solid on our pp since December. Curious what deal includes

Athletic is reporting that the Canes are getting Guentzel and Bunting is going the other way. Said an announcement after the game is likely. Hopefully the Canes don't give up Nikishin or Morrow. Especially if Guentzel doesn't sign an extension.

Nikishin is basically untouchable, he’s one of the top 10 prospects in the NHL. Only way he gets moved is if we learn that he can’t leave Russia.

Back