• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Rangers getting their asses handed to them by the best goalie on earth will be poetic. Congrats on the two seven game series vs 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Oh and to call the Trouba hit “As clean as they come” is just blatant bias. His shoulder hit Jarvis in the head. Not “thru the body”

That was 100% a clean hit. That elbow came up after the hit. Trouba isn't responsible for being "big". #1 thing they teach kids who are getting introduced to checking is to keep your head up. Jarvis is watching the play and can't see the freight train coming right in front of him? Totally legit hit.

Isolated I get it. But what's the saying, one (Crosby) is a something, two (Domi) is a coincidence, three (Jarvis) is a trend. Clearly the dude is doing whatever he can to make head contact, otherwise either these type of hits would be constantly happening with other players involved or he wouldn't be repeatedly involved in such incidents.

Not why we lost of course but he and primadonna Harvard baby Adam Fox can go fuck themselves. Other than that I don't really have a problem with this Rangers group, I find them more enjoyable to watch than the mid-2010s version

If you believe that is “antagonistic” then you def haven’t spent much time with here I grew up….lol

Notice you didn’t comment on the link I posted. Do you know what goalie interference is?

I, and every Canes fan on my group thread, saw it drunk from our couches. Unconscionable professional referees could all miss it. If it resulted in an immediate goal, it would have been overturned.

I, and every Canes fan on my group thread, saw it drunk from our couches. Unconscionable professional referees could all miss it. If it resulted in an immediate goal, it would have been overturned.

Well I just went back and watched it and all I can say (besides being totally inconsequential) you guys need to drink more.

All season my thought was getting to the conference finals would be a successful season and anything thereafter is gravy. Sucks to come so close to that but to ultimately come up short.

Real turning point for the franchise coming up, we've been on the pursuit of teams ahead of us like the Bruins and Ning but now the Rangers have caught and passed us. Young players we've invested in like Svech and KK have to get a lot better.

And Rod needs to spend a whole offseason figuring out why our special teams blow and we can't win on the road in the playoffs. If it wasn't obvious that was a huge problem already it certainly is now

All season my thought was getting to the conference finals would be a successful season and anything thereafter is gravy. Sucks to come so close to that but to ultimately come up short.

Real turning point for the franchise coming up, we've been on the pursuit of teams ahead of us like the Bruins and Ning but now the Rangers have caught and passed us. Young players we've invested in like Svech and KK have to get a lot better.

And Rod needs to spend a whole offseason figuring out why our special teams blow and we can't win on the road in the playoffs. If it wasn't obvious that was a huge problem already it certainly is now

Best goalie wins in the playoffs, a tale as old as time. Surprised we got past Boston without Freddie

Except the Penguins made Igor look like ass. The Canes OTOH made him look fantastic

Bigger problem to me is I'm not sure we can go further without star forward play, that shows up on the power play in particular. This may just be the limit of teams like the Canes and Flames that rely on playing a sound analytical game over having dudes who are offensive difference makers.

And also the Canes aren't as markedly better at strong analytic play as they were in previous years, seems like that advantage is slowly drifting away

Last edited:
I completely disagree that the rangers have passed us. Maybe they’re better next season, but they just won a playoff series in 7 games when we didn’t have our all star goalie. I wonder what the series looks like if they didn’t have their top goalie.

Bigger problem to me is I'm not sure we can go further without star forward play, that shows up on the power play in particular. This may just be the limit of teams like the Canes and Flames that rely on playing a sound analytical game over having dudes who are offensive difference makers

This is where I am. Aho is a great all around player, but he’s not the kind of elite offensive threat that teams have to plan around. Maybe that will be Svetch one day. Maybe Jarvis or Drury. But if not, we need to find one.

Also sucks because while 2006 was fun as hell and nothing probably would match that from an enjoyment perspective, seeing these guys win it all after the decade in the darkness with homegrown, not super high-draft pick players and Rod behind the bench would be hard to top from a significance standpoint. Hopefully that day will come

This is where I am. Aho is a great all around player, but he’s not the kind of elite offensive threat that teams have to plan around. Maybe that will be Svetch one day. Maybe Jarvis or Drury. But if not, we need to find one.

There is no one on that roster who looks like he'll fit that multi-year world class elite role. Of course I think the vast majority of teams have no one that fits that role. It's like an "ace" in baseball. Every team has a #1 who is terrific but only a handful really have an ace. If I had to pick five guys who I would be comfortable drawing one out of a hat to build a team around I'm taking McKinnon, McDavid, Mathews, Kaprisov and Gaudreau. Stamkos would be there too save he's on the other side of 30 now which isn't awful but give me more years.

Were you not around in 2006 Oblong? Sucks if so, at least as an #old I have that to fall back on

I was around, and watched the Finals that year, but was not a hockey fan before that, and only watched because it was "our team". But watched and was excited with the win. But it doesn't feel "real" to me, as I wasn't following closely back then.

I guess it hit me harder this year because this is actually the first full year I've watched hockey, and literally had alarms set and watched all but maybe 3-4 games of a full 82-game season, and only missed those because of family illnesses.

The only other sports I watch that closely are college football and more or less NFL, but I've trailed off on that as the Panthers have started to suck. So really only Deacs football and Canes hockey recently. I didn't watch but a handful of Wake BB games because honestly I have lost so much interest during the Dark Ages that I only watched the important games (ACC Tourney, NIT games). I know that probably makes me a bad fan, but I will be watching more closely as Forbes brings us back to relevance.

It just sucks seeing a team that probably had the best record in the league at one point, if not the 2nd best for a majority of the season, crash and burn over the last 30 games or so.

And while I agree that Special Teams killed us in the Playoffs, I do NOT agree that we need to make any wholesale changes in that regard. We were ranked Top 5 in both PP and PK during the year at different points, and led the league in PK for most of it, nearly breaking the best PK% mark in NHL history.

Our PK was outstanding, but PP just let us down so hard. Whatever needs to be done in that department, needs to be done...but not at the expense of PK.

I hate WITH A PASSION New York teams, and said from the end of the season that NYR would be our downfall. But I take solace in the fact that they beat us after losing our #1 GK, and #2 GK at times and were working with our #3 for important stretches.

This series ends differently with Freddie starting or NYR losing Shesterkin (of course that last part is a "DUH" statement, but it would have affected them WAY more than it affected us. We would have won in 5 without Shesterkin, Raanta made them push it to 7).

Our Goalkeeping is solid, Raanta just got worn down...not having a reliable backup is tough, and starting a rookie GK in the playoffs is just a non-starter.

We rely too much on teamwork and not on star-quality leaders. We need one or more of the young guys to step up, which I'm confident they will. Aho isn't out of the picture either. We're really pretty young in the top forward lines (avg. 26.4) with 4 of the top 6 being 24 or under, but older on defense (avg. 28.1) and in goal (avg. 28):

Teravainen (27)----Aho (24)----Jarvis (20)
Svechnikov (22)----Trocheck (28)----Necas (23)
Niederreiter (29)----Staal (33)----Fast (30)
Domi (27)----Kotkaniemi (21)----Martinook (29)
Stepan (31)
Lorentz (26)

Slavin (28)----DeAngelo (26)
Skjei (28)----Pesce (27)
Smith (33)----Cole (33)
Chatfield (26)----Bear (24)

Freddie (32)
Raanta (33)
Kochetkov (22)
Lyon (29)
LaFontaine (24)

Can anyone give some info on what we have coming up in the pipeline and when we might start to see them? I know of Drury and Suzuki, but don't know when/how they play or where they might show up in the lineup. I know we look solid in goal, and the future seems bright with a young Kochetkov, so that's good.

I also see that we traded away our 1st Rd pick this year, but have three 2nds and two 3rds. So that's pretty decent.

Who will be free agents or likely to be moved this offseason? Anyone big? I saw on wikipedia that a few guys were signed this year to 1 or 2 year deals...do we plan on extending them? [Freddie (2), Raanta (2), DeAngelo (1), Cole (1), Smith (1), Chatfield (1), Stepan (1)]

This is what I could find online (click to go to larger version):

Well, those are my thoughts/questions for the offseason....feel free to chime in, mock, deride, question, or add to this. Thanks!

There is no one on that roster who looks like he'll fit that multi-year world class elite role. Of course I think the vast majority of teams have no one that fits that role. It's like an "ace" in baseball. Every team has a #1 who is terrific but only a handful really have an ace. If I had to pick five guys who I would be comfortable drawing one out of a hat to build a team around I'm taking McKinnon, McDavid, Mathews, Kaprisov and Gaudreau. Stamkos would be there too save he's on the other side of 30 now which isn't awful but give me more years.

I think we have plenty of potential...Aho, Necas, Svech, Kotkaniemi, and Jarvis are all 24 or under. Keep in mind, even guys like Draisaitl took until their 5th years to start scoring 30+ goals. Not that any of our guys will be Draisaitl, but the potential is there.

I know they probably don't read this thread, but....for the love of god, mods, please fix the REPLY WITH QUOTE feature.

All it does is give pinwheels and never loads or moves to a different page....I had to quote DeacMan manually in this post

Filip Forsberg is a free agent, but I doubt the Canes can fit him under the current cap. He's also not getting any younger.

Back