• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Wow! Hockey is so dumb. Homer refs decide the game. Shouldn’t have been a trip and definitely goalie interference. With 4.3 seconds left, I would have went head hunting and ended a panthers career!

Let ghost walk, get healthy, squeeze one more good season out of Burnsy, add one more goal scorer. Get ‘em next season

Problem is, I’m not sure how you make hockey less subjective. It’s a game far too reliant on judgement calls where technology can’t do much. And with subjectivity comes bias, corruption, etc. It’s human nature.

Still exciting to watch and hurts to lose, but you just have to acknowledge that close games are often decided by, or at least heavily influenced by the refs instead of the players.

TLDR, basically WWE.

I mean we got absolutely fucked. You could CLEARLY fucking see Anderson’s leg getting held as he tries to move. Plus add to that the phantom trip on the penalty, and the no call before that. Feels like a boxing style robbery.

hopefully used up several years of bad luck all at once.

On the bright side I bet the metrics show we won every game so #numberswilldefend?

Def hurts extra hearing that we were apparently second place in the Tkachuk sweepstakes. Respect to Florida for giving up so many pieces from a President's Trophy team

I hate how they keep talking about Benn like he is hurt or something. The guy deliberately attempted to injure a player with a hit that had nothing to do with the ongoing play. They shouldn't be talking about the Stars playing hard for him, they should be talking about how selfish and dangerous the play was and how he is letting his team down by not being available to play in the biggest games of the year.

The hit on Slavin was FAR worse than what Benn did, it caused a serious injury and could have killed Slavin. Helmet to helmet in FB would have meant immediate ejection and penalty, they didn't even bother to call a minor when Slavin was head butted and blindsided

This fucking team.

I've been pretty fortunate in that the Stars have had a great run the whole time I've lived here. I think maybe they've had one losing season.

But I've never seen a team as schizo as this one. They look great one game, and like a minor league hockey team the next-- sometimes even worse. There are ebbs and flows in all hockey games and with all hockey teams, but not like this.

Never really been fully convinced by DeBoer, this series certainly doing nothing to change my opinion

Never really been fully convinced by DeBoer, this series certainly doing nothing to change my opinion

Maybe, but DeBoer the least of their issues. Benn was completely ineffective for this playoff run. Again. He had a good year, but it's time to move on. They should be able to parlay the good regular season and his leadership role into some decent trade value.

Seguin brings nothing at this point, but I think they're locked into a big contract with him. Not sure they can get rid of him.

The most concerning thing is Oettinger. He was terrible, and so consistently bad that I wonder if he isn't a head case now. His team does him no favors in when they put him into some of these situations, but then it just snowballs. There was one game during this run where he was absolutely on fire. There were a few games where he was good. There were more games where he was average, and there were a lot of games where he was bad. The Stars could've literally had any goalie in the league and had the same or a better result. About every 3rd game, he was trash.

Game 3 vs. Wild = 5-1 loss
Game 1 vs. Kraken = 5-4 loss
Game 3 vs. Kraken = 7-2 loss
Game 6 vs. Kraken = 6-3 loss
Game 3 vs. VGK = 4-0 loss
Game 6 vs. VGK = 6-0 loss

The first goal last night seemed to be a perfect encapsulation of this playoff for the Stars. Bad turnover in their zone, puck slowly out to the middle, Stars take 500 years to notice it and don't react, Otter in a bad position but lays out way too early and gives up an easy goal. Not his fault he is in that situation, but c'mon, man, don't flail around like a fish.

Someone's winning the cup for the first time! The hIsToRiC Vegas results continue to be insane:

2018: SCF
2019: 1st Round
2020: Conference Finals
2021: COVID Bubble Conference Finals
2022: Missed playoffs by 3 points
2023: SCF - result pending

Also glad that I don't have to tune into ESPN for hockey until October.

Back