• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Canes held the wings to 13 (?!?!) shots? That’s wild. Of course Raanta let two of them in and we almost lost points 🤦‍♂️

I need some trades....SOMEONE offer me some stuff!!!

No one is off the table for me

Nevermind. Just wait until Eichel and Hughes come back soon (and Nichushkin comes back just in time for the playoffs) and I'll wipe your sorry tails out of the bracket by 60 points.

KK is still 23 and on contract until 2030. He's improved almost every year other than a dropoff after his rookie season when he only played 36 games (in Montreal). He's up to a 0.5 pt/gm player and there's no reason to believe he can't improve more as he hits his prime.

Necas is having a slightly worse year than last year...Turbo dropped off from 2 years ago....should we trade them?

I'm not saying it won't make sense to trade him at some point, but give him at least a year more to see where he is this time next season.
Yeah, we’re just going to have to disagree. 23 is not the same as being 23 in the NBA/NFL. For gods sake, we’re at the point where we are putting Drury at 2C b/c KK generates literally zero offense for himself or line mate. He is struggling to win face offs which our team values b/c we rely on forechecking more than any other team in the league. He is a solid forechecker and physical on the boards but makes numerous o and d zone turnovers a game. We won’t win a cup with him as 2C.

I like Turbo, but unless he gives a team friendly deal, he’s likely gone at the end of the season. Not sure what your point is. But yeah, I’m 100% willing to trade Tuevo in the right deal. Necas is probably gone too. He’s a perfect trade candidate imo.

Yeah, we’re just going to have to disagree. 23 is not the same as being 23 in the NBA/NFL. For gods sake, we’re at the point where we are putting Drury at 2C b/c KK generates literally zero offense for himself or line mate. He is struggling to win face offs which our team values b/c we rely on forechecking more than any other team in the league. He is a solid forechecker and physical on the boards but makes numerous o and d zone turnovers a game. We won’t win a cup with him as 2C.

I like Turbo, but unless he gives a team friendly deal, he’s likely gone at the end of the season. Not sure what your point is. But yeah, I’m 100% willing to trade Tuevo in the right deal. Necas is probably gone too. He’s a perfect trade candidate imo.

That's fine to disagree....but IMO a lot of what makes this team, THIS team, is the chemistry and comfort of playing with the same guys and knowing who is going to be where and when.

I don't deny that KK is lacking this year, but throwing everything out because we've had a mediocre first half (albeit a very good 2nd quarter) is wrong to me. And IDK your opinion on Drury, but he has been playing well beyond where I thought he'd be right now. And I think he's a future top 6 player, if he's not already.

The point being is that if YOU are thinking these guys aren't playing well, what makes you think we'll get someone much better in a trade?

And this is not being snarky, but if we were to trade KK, what would you be looking for in a deal? Do you have some options in mind? Because I would honestly like to be more knowledgeable on the subject myself.

I'm just tired of teams selling off youth for veterans that are only going to get you to the same spot in a year or two.

(And my comments were made without knowing salaries for the other players, so if moves are made because of expiring contracts, I'll understand that).

I'd also like to know what the fuck kept or is keeping NJD from putting Hughes on the IR?

They've already said week-to-week...I don't get it. And my fantasy team certainly doesn't either.

I just read that over the last calendar year, even with the ice cold December he's had, he's still at 21G/26A/47P (Just double checked those for accuracy, what I read wasn't written today, so going by today's date he has been 20G/25A/45P since Jan. 20, 2023)

Also with the cap going up, in 2 years $4.5Million for a #2 or #3 center won't be a terrible deal, especially for a C capable of 40 pts a year.

He may not be what we hoped for, but I seriously don't think he's hit his peak and is on his way down.

Last edited:
That's fine to disagree....but IMO a lot of what makes this team, THIS team, is the chemistry and comfort of playing with the same guys and knowing who is going to be where and when.

I don't deny that KK is lacking this year, but throwing everything out because we've had a mediocre first half (albeit a very good 2nd quarter) is wrong to me. And IDK your opinion on Drury, but he has been playing well beyond where I thought he'd be right now. And I think he's a future top 6 player, if he's not already.

The point being is that if YOU are thinking these guys aren't playing well, what makes you think we'll get someone much better in a trade?

And this is not being snarky, but if we were to trade KK, what would you be looking for in a deal? Do you have some options in mind? Because I would honestly like to be more knowledgeable on the subject myself.

I'm just tired of teams selling off youth for veterans that are only going to get you to the same spot in a year or two.

(And my comments were made without knowing salaries for the other players, so if moves are made because of expiring contracts, I'll understand that).

I guess my reasoning is playoff windows do not stay open long. It’s just frustrating watching KK go long stretches of play like this, especially knowing depth scoring is what has plagued us in the playoffs for the last several years. We are going to have a lot of turnover this year (Jarvis, Noesen, Skjei, Pesce, Slavin, Necas, Tuevo are all RFA/UFA). Trading expiring contracts/picks/prospects is something I’m willing to do at this juncture of our teams window. Management knows what this team needs to get over the proverbial hump, I just want this core to win a Cup.

I agree with you there and we seem to be on close, but not equal ground on KK.

Checking out the salary cap/contract stuff, here are my thoughts (keep in mind I know little more than how to count in terms of salary caps and contracts and how that all works, so forgive me if I'm way off):

Jarvis ain't going anywhere and is due a raise, and I think we'd be smart to sign a 31 yr old Noesen for another year at least, I just checked and I think Slavin has another year before he's a UFA...though DeAngelo and Chatfield are UFA's. DeAngelo is gone probably unless we lose more than 1 defender as he'll be looking for a guaranteed spot and a decent contract before he hits 30, and with Orlov on the roster, my guess is we keep Pesce and move Orlov into Skjei's spot on the left. One of Necas and Turbo are going to be gone unfortunately, maybe both...I hope it's Turbo because right now he's costing us $2.4M more, but I think they'll let Necas go because he's probably going to end up costing more to keep because he's young and fast and pretty good. Then again, this front office does have a history of letting expensive veterans go, especially close to 30 yrs old. I hope we keep Drury as he has been a gem this year and played very well. Martinook is also a UFA which you didn't mention and IDK where he goes....he'll be relatively cheap and turns 32 over the Summer.

If it were me guessing (keep in mind I'm always wrong and know absolutely nothing), we'll look like this before outside FA's are signed:

Turbo/Aho/Svech
Bunting/KK/Jarvis
Martinook/Staal/Fast
Noesen/Drury/???

Slavin/Burns
Orlov/Pesce
????/????

Also throw Ponomarev up there as I imagine he'll start getting some time like Drury did last season....do we get a look at Jamieson Rees and Ryan Suzuki next year too? They're RFA's as well.
According to the googler, we'll have $31.7MM in Cap Space before anyone is signed. Does a 30 yr old Teravainen get close to or more than his $5.4MM hit now? How much does someone offer Necas over his current $3MM? How much of a raise does Jarvis get? Surely $4MM+ aav right? (again, it might be more or maybe I'm overvaluing him)...Skjei is a hot commodity and will be not only at the deadline but in FA and I don't see us paying more then his current $5.25MM so like I said he's gone if not already traded at the deadline. Pesce is at just over $4MM, he'll probably get a similar deal or slight raise. Martinook takes a team friendly deal hopefully, so around $1.5MM-$2MM....I hope we resign Chatfield as I think he's a great defensive player and consistently leads the team in +/-. He's at $762,500 right now, give him $1.0MM-$1.5MM (??)....Blow up the entire goalie room after putting Koch in a bunker....unless Freddie comes back and can play well because he's on for $3.4MM next year....give Noesen $1MM

By my count that's:

Turbo: $6MM (no clue)
Jarvis: $4.0MM-$4.5MM
Pesce: $4.5MM
Martinook: $2MM (just current price IDK)
Chatfield: $1.5MM (no earthly clue)
Drury: $2.5MM (no idea)

That's $21MM, which means it will really be closer to $25MM because I'm terrible at this stuff. So $6MM-$10MM in space?

Hopefully I wayyyy over estimated and it's closer to $19MM (unlikely). That gives us enough for a quality forward around $5MM-$7MM and then $5MM-$6MM to work with for the rest.

KK - 1 goal since November is just not good enough. Hard to be blame Raanta for all of those goals. We had a 30-6 SOG advantage and we’re losing at one point, need to find ways to finish. Also, the dogshit PP has returned. We are going to get throttled by Boston.

We've got a pretty clear divide with the top 4 battling for the 2 byes, and the bottom 4 battling for the final 2 playoff spots.

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Also, several developments today re: 2018 World Junior sexual assault case. The London (ON) police have asked five players from that team to come in and face charges.

Hockey reddit and the twitterverse have speculated who the five are because they've all very recently been granted leaves of absence from their teams. Carter Hart, Alex Formenton, Michael McLeod, Cal Foote, and Dillon Dube.

Back