• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIL collective starts for WFU

I don't speak for everyone, but it bothers me because I just don't see a way a school with a small alumni base like ours can compete at a high level long term when the dollar has an exponentially increasing impact on competitiveness in college athletics.

It's a cycle of "hey, we are doing great today" followed by "shit, someone else is gonna poach our talent for more money."

Now, it may turn out there is enough money to go around and my fears are unfounded. I'm as guilty as anyone of grossly underestimating how much money there is around college sports.

I'm a long suffering A's fan who watched his team essentially get treated like a farm system for big market teams, so I'm likely dealing with long term PTSD here.
It depends on how you define success. I would argue at least the this point, WF has benieftwd more from NIL than it’s been hurt, and it’s really not that close yet. The Hartman story gets the headlines, but our biggest NIL causality thus far is frankly Jewel Spear. Her path was as much about playing for a contender like Conti did pre-NIL. Pre-NIL Hartman just leaves school.

If you want to compare it to small market MLB teams, that’s fine, but if the A’s could poach guys from the minor league systems of the bigger markets with a quicker path to the Bigs, then they would likely be better. That’s the option here. We can’t win bidding wars against the bigger schools consistently, and we weren’t before. However we can, and really have done very well, luring talent from below us on the pyramid. I have no doubt that plenty of (maybe most?) our coaches don’t like the current NIL landscape, but they aren’t afraid of it.

In MBB, Baseball, Football alone, we’ve had more talent transfer in than out recently. A lot more.

Last edited:
I mean the NCAA has means through which they can prevent folks from jumping around as much as they currently are. I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, but the "sit out a year if you transfer" rule with waiver opportunities is one such way. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ideas which would work out well too that both allow athletes the opportunity for choice while also providing some base level of regulation. Again, the NCAA is currently still trying to shove their ridiculous amateur model into 2023 where it's clear that ship has sailed and instead of coming up with innovative ways to address where we are (or even just provide basic bumpers) they're tripling down on an obsolete losing argument

The NCAA is completely neutered at this point. The moment they try to reign this in is when the Big 10 and SEC break off.

Would say that most that post here are collectively prepared for the day when WF loses its top talent via the portal to NIL money bags from SEC and Big 10 schools. There are many in our own fanbase that crow about how the ACC can't keep up, and seemly oddly excited to predict that WF is headed to minor league status after the next conference realignment shuffle.

In the face of those dire predictions, which aren't hotly contested here, WF continues to put together strong seasons in football, baseball and other sports. The major sport at WF that has generally underperformed over recent years is men's basketball and that had nothing to do with NIL or the transfer portal, but just idiotic HC hiring decisions and that problem has been addressed; so, despite the dire forecasts here, so far, WF has benefitted by and improved in the NIL and transfer portal era. Not something that any of us expected. Clearly, WF has some smart and capable people at key positions in the athletic department that find ways to stay a step ahead of larger schools with more resources. Also, WF truly is a special place as hard as that is for people to acknowledge sometimes.

Not sure if this success continues or if WF falls off a cliff at some point, but got to say that I'm enjoying the ride.

Would say that most that post here are collectively prepared for the day when WF loses its top talent via the portal to NIL money bags from SEC and Big 10 schools. There are many in our own fanbase that crow about how the ACC can't keep up, and seemly oddly excited to predict that WF is headed to minor league status after the next conference realignment shuffle.

In the face of those dire predictions, which aren't hotly contested here, WF continues to put together strong seasons in football, baseball and other sports. The major sport at WF that has generally underperformed over recent years is men's basketball and that had nothing to do with NIL or the transfer portal, but just idiotic HC hiring decisions and that problem has been addressed; so, despite the dire forecasts here, so far, WF has benefitted by and improved in the NIL and transfer portal era. Not something that any of us expected. Clearly, WF has some smart and capable people at key positions in the athletic department that find ways to stay a step ahead of larger schools with more resources. Also, WF truly is a special place as hard as that is for people to acknowledge sometimes.

Not sure if this success continues or if WF falls off a cliff at some point, but got to say that I'm enjoying the ride.
As much as Wake bball has benefited from portal with basically 2 ACC POY’s we have still not seen postseason success. No NCAA & not making NY for NIT along with a consecutive string of what, 15+ years of no ACCT semi’s? (Seems like maybe Prosser made one. Let’s see what these Gonzaga & UCLA transfers do for us. (But Joey Brackets has 5 ACC teams in right now with UVa as a ‘last four in’—so league is perceived as weak again)

The league is perceived as weak because the league is weak.

Let's take advantage this year and get a top four seed for the tourney.

Sleeping on UVA again seems like another terrible decision too.

Mitch Griffis rolling in the NIL dough with his new deal with Garry’s Custom Apparel. They will be his official suit tailor. No, this is not a joke.
Garry should add a little content to his website. Hard to tell if he does NBA draft suits or boardroom stuff.

Well stated.

I would add that WFU could not have procured Wente and Currie at a better time. Everything from communication to engagement to marketing has been vastly improved. And in this climate, we need all of the above!

The league is perceived as weak because the league is weak.
Is it? If you go by computer rankings the ACC is the #6-8 conference the last 5 years (not counting covid year), but if you go by advancing in the NCAA tournament over that time the ACC is #1.

Is it? If you go by computer rankings the ACC is the #6-8 conference the last 5 years (not counting covid year), but if you go by advancing in the NCAA tournament over that time the ACC is #1.
Yeah I'm not going to do this again.

Yeah I'm not going to do this again.
Fair enough. To save us all some time:

You: The tournament is a small sample size, so it's a crap shoot
Me: Yes, but aren't NCAA tourney results the ultimate goal and what is most important?
You: The ACC tournament results are driven by a few teams
Me: FSU, Miami, UNC, Duke, and UVA have had the most success, but VT, ND, Cuse have had tournament success during that time, too
You: Computer rankings are objective and can't really be argued
Me: Sure, but the model the rankings are based on can be poorly constructed
You: Kenpom rules!
Me: Agreed, but something is off in its ability to predict NCAA tourney success
You: OK Rafi, you win again

Mitch Griffis rolling in the NIL dough with his new deal with Garry’s Custom Apparel. They will be his official suit tailor. No, this is not a joke.
This is exactly what NIL is all about (RIP NJD). Small local business elevating their brand by partnering with a prominent local student athlete. Suits make sense given awards ceremonies, draft night, etc. America!

DR could expand his business in Athens by working with some of kirby's nascar team.

This is exactly what NIL is all about (RIP NJD). Small local business elevating their brand by partnering with a prominent local student athlete. Suits make sense given awards ceremonies, draft night, etc. America!

DR could expand his business in Athens by working with some of kirby's nascar team.
there also are a lot of kids who are out there hustling to score any type of NIL deal. We celebrate that if they are building the next napster... celebrate it for scoring an NIL deal as well.

He needs a bigger bed than Marsh?

Back