• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIL collective starts for WFU

Why would you go to Atlantis for any reason other than to let you kids play on waterslides ?

Roll The Quad is offering presale tickets to the popular Bert Kreischer tour that is coming to W-S in December to all subscribers.

We are working on additional perks as well to reward Deacon fans. What other ones would you like to see from RTQ?

Roll The Quad is offering presale tickets to the popular Bert Kreischer tour that is coming to W-S in December to all subscribers.

We are working on additional perks as well to reward Deacon fans. What other ones would you like to see from RTQ?
I would like to see you figure out a way to ensure Bobi comes back next year!!

Or other merch worn by the coaches or players that Wake doesn’t sell.
Monthly donor here who would gladly up my donation for this, especially if it involves older kids stuff, which Wake seems to struggle with.

I don't wish to derail the new thread, so I will just put this here. As a 54 year old man, who has watched, covered and enjoyed college sports for a large part of my life, I truly believe that all this NIL business is dirty as fuck. I know that it's the business of college sports, and its always had dirty underpinnings, and I'm actually glad the athletes are getting legally paid for their labor, but damn its dirty.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

tvcigar

I don't wish to derail the new thread, so I will just put this here. As a 54 year old man, who has watched, covered and enjoyed college sports for a large part of my life, I truly believe that all this NIL business is dirty as fuck. I know that it's the business of college sports, and its always had dirty underpinnings, and I'm actually glad the athletes are getting legally paid for their labor, but damn its dirty.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

tvcigar
Kinda similar to AAU basketball starting around 2000 and maybe sooner. Dirty as hell and schools/organizations funneled money to & thru the coaches to get college bball players. Took the high school coach totally out of the equation. Drove MD coach Gary Williams out of the business when he lost local kid Durant to Texas.

Here's a good alternative take on NIL.

If you could wave a magic wand, what would you like Congress/the NCAA/whomever to bring some sort of stability/structure to the NIL picture without obliterating what still distinguishes college football from being just another money-grubbing professional sports league? — Michael H.
You’re asking the wrong guy. I consider this whole ordeal to be a solution without a problem.

Are there flaws with NIL? No question. I’ve written about a high-school player whose father shipped him and his younger brother across the country in search of riches that never materialized and a QB recruit who got duped into signing a $13 million-plus “contract” that was never enforceable. They are cautionary tales involving bad actors attempting to exploit a nascent model.

But look at all the good that has come since NIL became legal on July 1, 2021. Contrary to decades of NCAA fear-mongering, it has not negatively impacted interest in college sports. If anything, it’s been the opposite, especially for women’s sports. Women’s stars like Iowa’s Caitlin Clark and LSU’s Angel Reese in basketball, Florida’s Trinity Thomas and LSU’s Livvy Dunne in gymnastics and Nebaska’s (formerly Oklahoma’s) Jordy Bahl in softball have helped drive record TV ratings for their sports. In football and men’s basketball, guys like Bo Nix, Michael Penix Jr., Drew Timme and Hunter Dickinson are opting to remain in college longer, which is great for fan engagement.

And yet, we hear that NIL is “a disaster” (Sen. Tommy Tuberville), that college athletics are in “crisis” (Notre Dame president John Jenkins and AD Jack Swarbrick), or even worse, “in the ICU” (Arizona president Robert Robbins). Sometimes I want to go out to my front porch and just scream in their general direction, “WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT?”

Actually, I know exactly what they’re talking about. They’re entirely focused on the pay-for-play component. They’re freaked out that boosters are enticing recruits with actual money rather than donating it to build an excessively fancy locker room to serve the same purpose. Nick Saban keeps bemoaning the effect NIL will have on competitive balance as if there has ever been a period in the history of college athletics where the schools were truly competing on a “level playing field.”

Truth be told, college football is already a “money-grubbing professional sports league,” but not because an offensive lineman is getting $60,000 to go to an SEC school. It’s much more so USC and UCLA blowing up a century’s worth of regional rivalries to go to a conference that makes more TV money. It’s a school giving a coach a $90 million contract with no buyout. It’s the expanded College Football Playoff playing its marquee games at bowl sites rather than on-campus stadiums, much like NFL clubs prioritize corporate suite-holders over diehard fans.

People are just up in arms because it's 18-22 college athletes (a good percentage of whom are not white) getting some of the money now instead of it being predominantly white dudes.

I think there needs to be some sort of regulation that is abided by so it's not completely the wild wild west, but overall this has been a fantastic development for a lot of parties involved and the popularity of college sports.

The bottom line is this came about because instead of regulating themselves with the years they had to do so, the NCAA decided to instead pursue the farcical “they are amateurs because we claim they are” which the Supreme Court rightfully laughed out of the building. NCAA sowing what they reaped

Here's a good alternative take on NIL.

If you could wave a magic wand, what would you like Congress/the NCAA/whomever to bring some sort of stability/structure to the NIL picture without obliterating what still distinguishes college football from being just another money-grubbing professional sports league? — Michael H.

and the image for the article is Sam Hartman in a Wake uni

I don't speak for everyone, but it bothers me because I just don't see a way a school with a small alumni base like ours can compete at a high level long term when the dollar has an exponentially increasing impact on competitiveness in college athletics.

It's a cycle of "hey, we are doing great today" followed by "shit, someone else is gonna poach our talent for more money."

Now, it may turn out there is enough money to go around and my fears are unfounded. I'm as guilty as anyone of grossly underestimating how much money there is around college sports.

I'm a long suffering A's fan who watched his team essentially get treated like a farm system for big market teams, so I'm likely dealing with long term PTSD here.

I mean the NCAA has means through which they can prevent folks from jumping around as much as they currently are. I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, but the "sit out a year if you transfer" rule with waiver opportunities is one such way. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ideas which would work out well too that both allow athletes the opportunity for choice while also providing some base level of regulation. Again, the NCAA is currently still trying to shove their ridiculous amateur model into 2023 where it's clear that ship has sailed and instead of coming up with innovative ways to address where we are (or even just provide basic bumpers) they're tripling down on an obsolete losing argument

and the image for the article is Sam Hartman in a Wake uni
One of the questions in the mailbag is about veteran transfer QBs who will have the biggest impact. I learned Damon Huard's 5-star QB kid transferred from UW down to Cal Poly.

I mean the NCAA has means through which they can prevent folks from jumping around as much as they currently are. I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, but the "sit out a year if you transfer" rule with waiver opportunities is one such way. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ideas which would work out well too that both allow athletes the opportunity for choice while also providing some base level of regulation. Again, the NCAA is currently still trying to shove their ridiculous amateur model into 2023 where it's clear that ship has sailed and instead of coming up with innovative ways to address where we are (or even just provide basic bumpers) they're tripling down on an obsolete losing argument
The NCAA will look even worse after they ink separate big money deals for women's hoops, baseball, softball, etc that will help push back on the idea that those sports lose money.

Why make decisions to benefit everyone when you can pout and scream about the old days?

Back