• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIL collective starts for WFU

I would think that publicly disclosing how much NIL cash we have (or don’t have) could potentially hurt from a competitive perspective.

Does RTQ plan to ever share any details with its members on how much it has collected and/or spent?
If you're a subscriber, you will have access to private events where these types of discussions can and will take place.

For a variety of reasons, we feel it's not best to communicate some of that information via email or message board.

This is actually a really good question - since RTQ isn’t a tax-exempt organization, presumably there are no public disclosures required, but you would think those ponying up would want some transparency.
if you're a subscriber, feel free to reach out to the RTQ and we'll give you an entire rundown.

I was saying that on the credibility thread. Some of our fans are clueless.
Forbes also told a group before the Notre Dame game here that he needs “about a million a year” of NIL funds to stay competitive in bball. Football will have about $2-3 mill per year in their needs. You can see on the website as far as the principals of the RTQ group that they have a great group starting and backing our NIL (Sutton, McCreary & McCreary, Shah, Flow, Fox, Couch and Drum). But these great folks can’t be expected to put up all the monies so that is why all Deacs need to help monthly.
I understand you can earmark other sports directly as to where you want your money to go.

Just had a question about nil and how it works from a payment perspective. I'm guessing a hs kid can't get paid so do they have to wait unilt graduation for the payment(s) to occur/begin?

High schoolers can get NIL payments right? Why wouldn’t they if they’re doing something to earn it? Couldn’t Juke Harris appear in a Salisbury Flow dealership ad?

No one wanted to pay me for a swim school commercial when I was in high school.

@RollTheQuadNIL - I’m pretty sure I know RTQ’s answer to this would be you need to consult your personal tax advisor, but I’m curious if RTQ has looked into whether individual contributions to RTQ constitute taxable gifts since RTQ isn’t set up as a charitable organization (which I think is totally the right call - while there have been plenty of NIL collectives issued tax-exempt determination letters, ultimately I don’t think those are going to hold up or they will be eliminated legislatively). For your run of the mill member, this isn’t an issue since they are aren’t contributing more than the annual exclusion and are actually getting something in return, but if I want to make a 1 time contribution of say, $50,000 or $1 million, I’m not sure what would prevent that from being a taxable gift.

High schoolers can get NIL payments right? Why wouldn’t they if they’re doing something to earn it? Couldn’t Juke Harris appear in a Salisbury Flow dealership ad?
Yes depending on the state from what I just looked up. Normally would be up to each state high school athletic association. Looks to me like it is about 50-50 with several considering.

I think one of the important facts for the RTQ collective is that it exists and has guys with serious money and many connections in its leadership. Not every prospective student athlete is necessarily going for the biggest bag up front.

Many will be OK knowing that a well organized group is in place to assist with getting opportunities that might well extend beyond the college years. Guys on the RTQ Board get phone calls answered and responses to their emails in ways that don't happen for most. That door opening can mean lifetime connections for the student-athletes.

The old saw: most go pro in something that is not their college sport.

Not in NC.

Interesting Wall Street Journal article today on international athletes who are prohibited from “working” based on their visa status. People are finding some interesting ways to direct commissions and other strictly passive income streams to them if they feel confident that they can demonstrate the athlete is truly not working at all. There is also the previously mentioned workaround of having them do NIL activities outside of the country (seems like that would be a lot more effort though). Relevant to the discussion around Bobi and others.

Back