• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIL collective starts for WFU

What are we paying them to do, exactly? Isn’t that the theory of NIL? You’re giving them money and getting some service (autograph, appearance, use of their name in marketing) in return?

What are we paying them to do, exactly? Isn’t that the theory of NIL? You’re giving them money and getting some service (autograph, appearance, use of their name in marketing) in return?
I thought it was because players were being taken advantage of by universities by offering them free education, room, board, top notch athletic training while preventing them from getting rich off all the money all these local businesses wanted to throw at them to use their names and likeness.

Turns out there wasn't all this money out there (shocker) and now donors are having to fleece out even more money to recruit unrestricted free agents on a yearly basis.

Great question. The collective has 3 main areas of focus where funds will come from: donors, subscribers, and busnisses (local, regional, national).

Subscribers will have access to a number of opportunities based on their level all of which include - autographs, meet & greets, video shout outs, experiences, & more.

I thought it was because players were being taken advantage of by universities by offering them free education, room, board, top notch athletic training while preventing them from getting rich off all the money all these local businesses wanted to throw at them to use their names and likeness.

Turns out there wasn't all this money out there (shocker) and now donors are having to fleece out even more money to recruit unrestricted free agents on a yearly basis.
You are not incorrect in your statement. This is why collectives (like RTQ) have been formed. To the dismay of some of our coaches, Wake did not have an NIL collective formed last season and it was felt on the recruiting trail and in the transfer portal when our staff had to avoid that question when it was asked.

While RTQ was not the first collective out of the gate, in some ways that is a positive. We've learned from the succsesses and mistakes that other schools have made. Not saying that you have to fleece out more money than you already are. Just asking for you to consider Wake's collective are part of your giving.

You are not incorrect in your statement. This is why collectives (like RTQ) have been formed. To the dismay of some of our coaches, Wake did not have an NIL collective formed last season and it was felt on the recruiting trail and in the transfer portal when our staff had to avoid that question when it was asked.
This cannot be correct. Jim Boeheim said otherwise.

Are any of Wake’s advancement officers shifting over to work for RTQ? Is there competition or collaboration between fundraising reps for the athletic office and the collective? Hopefully the latter since you’re (sort of) working toward the same goal.

But if a donor known to both is deciding between funding a scholarship / building project vs funding the NIL…

Does RTQ work with the Deacon Club? I.e. can one just direct a % of Deacon Club giving to go to RTQ? I assume the DC cannot do that on their own.

While RTQ was not the first collective out of the gate, in some ways that is a positive. We've learned from the succsesses and mistakes that other schools have made. Not saying that you have to fleece out more money than you already are. Just asking for you to consider Wake's collective are part of your giving.
Wow....Glad to see Wake supporters appear now to be making this happen, since NIL$ has become a necessary evil.

Does RTQ work with the Deacon Club? I.e. can one just direct a % of Deacon Club giving to go to RTQ? I assume the DC cannot do that on their own.
Are any of Wake’s advancement officers shifting over to work for RTQ? Is there competition or collaboration between fundraising reps for the athletic office and the collective? Hopefully the latter since you’re (sort of) working toward the same goal.

But if a donor known to both is deciding between funding a scholarship / building project vs funding the NIL…
Great questions.

-No, RTQ has to be a completely seperate entity from the University per NCAA rules.
-Unfortunatly, no, a % your contribution to the Deacon Club giving cannot be allocated to RTQ and would have to be seperate.
-You're correct that we're working towards the same goal. While yes, RTQ would be considered "competition" to the Deacon Club, there is thankfully an understanding that the NIL Collective is paramount to the success of WFU athletics. Thankfully, the Deacon Club is incredibly understanding about the changing climate - not something every school has the luxury of.

@DeacDaddy, your last - incredibly valid - point ultimatly comes down to the donor and what they feel like they want to / should do.

The fact Forbes landed the guys he did without an NIL is kinda insane.
One of the main factors of a prospect's decision today (both HS as well as in the portal) is now "NIL opportunity."

Last season, our staff had to avoid that question from the prospect / their family completely.

Wake Forest checks a lot of prospects' boxes when it comes to academics, level of play, facilities, & quality of coaches. One of the new boxes is now "NIL opportunity" - again, something our coaches had to skate around answering. This is why RTQ has been formed.

Does RTQ plan to ever share any details with its members on how much it has collected and/or spent?

Today officially starts 'Transfer Portal Season'

if you've been on the fence, today would be a great day to become a member. If you have questions, please feel free to PM me.
If you can guarantee me a dynamic big man and 2 highly efficient guards, as well as making sure Bobi and Damari come back, you can count on a donation:)

Does RTQ plan to ever share any details with its members on how much it has collected and/or spent?
This is actually a really good question - since RTQ isn’t a tax-exempt organization, presumably there are no public disclosures required, but you would think those ponying up would want some transparency.

I'd think the return on investment (wins) is more important that transparency. Telling what wake centric nil is spending set the market and allows them to be out bid. But what do I know? I've still got my keys.

Today officially starts 'Transfer Portal Season'

if you've been on the fence, today would be a great day to become a member. If you have questions, please feel free to PM me.
josh, are you in charge of the RTQ account on here?

Back