• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT bubble watch

Oh yeah, Bubba was CFP chair not the tournament committee chair.

My bad

I'll go a step further. Expansion has been a disaster. Adding FSU, Miami, and VT hasn't helped football that much. Adding Cuse and Louisville has done next to nothing for basketball. Now we have a huge conference that's still further behind the SEC and Big Ten than ever with no way to catch up.

Three of the top 9 teams (.500 and above) this season were expansion teams (Miami, Pitt, Cuse). Five of the bottom six were.
Exactly. T

Because during Clemson’s overall season they didn’t play anybody OOC but Quad 4 type teams and lost to the likes of SC & Loyola. Get out of your comfort zone and play teams like Michigan state plays early (Gonzaga, KY, Villanova, Alabama, Oregon & Notre Dame (going 3-3). Then finishing 4th and 19-12 overall will get you in any tourney!
You would definitely have been one of the people turning in your neighbors for keeping banned books during the height of the USSR. Make sure you keep defending the man to our detriment.

All this whining doesn't matter if Wake actually has a good team. It didn't this year.

Same is true for Clemson.
Yea, at the end of the day we finished 9th in arguably the worst ACC on record and more or less lost every meaningful OOC game we played (with one exception).

The team just isn’t good enough…yet (hopefully).

I’m really disappointed in the NIT but silver lining is Wake can perhaps go hard after the portal sooner than other teams still playing. Maybe?? I dunno. I got nothing.

As for UNC declining the NIT, this was the correct move; not b/c of the "this is beneath us" factor, but b/c of a lot of behind-the-scenes noise that Hubert and I'm sure Bubba and others want to let die and move away from. Hubert alluded to it after the UVA loss, saying that instead of dealing with 18 guys in the locker-room, he was confronted throughout the season by NIL, boosters, family members, agents, etc. And of course the elephant in the room of a player tapping a teammate's girlfriend. As thought by many at the time, a couple of players came back this year not so much to compete for a national championship, but the NIL $$ made a better biz decision than a 2nd-round NBA deal or playing overseas.
UNC does a great job of keeping their dirty laundry in-house and under wraps; not sure what was more impressive: their undetected cheating of almost 20 years, or the "what's the big deal?" response after getting caught and much of the the media and NCAA nodding in agreement.
I think Hubert's a good guy, and even though he's a "new" coach, he's been around this stuff long enough to share some of the frustrations of how the game has changed which probably sent Roy into retirement.
A lot of intrigue behind this year's team and program, and the best way to keep it buried is to let everyone go their separate ways out of the spotlight.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Bubba was CFP chair not the tournament committee chair.

My bad
Actually it was NC State's AD (Boo Corrigan) who was the CFP committe chair. I'm almost certain you wouldn't be allowed to be on the CFP committee and the NCAA Tournament selection committee at the same time.

What's your point?

They dropped from 44 to 65 in KP once Castleton got hurt (3-5... beat 3 shitty teams and lost to 5 others).

You asked for examples of players that are dunzo for the year, but their teams still got NIT bids... I gave you Seton Hall and Florida. Both teams were terrible and not making the NCAA. They lost top players and still made the NIT with questionable records/metrics.

Monsanto being hurt didn't hurt Wake Forest in the eyes of evaluating the resume. The resume itself just wasn't enough.

Back