• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

The next magical thinking that is occurring is the impending flu season/winter. Don't worry experts and anyone that knows anything are telling you it most likely will be bad when the two diseases collide but hey what do they know. So if you are bitching and complaining right now realize that here in this country the next 2 months or so are about as good as it will get so enjoy this awesome (horrible) situation we currently have.

The next magical thinking that is occurring is the impending flu season/winter. Don't worry experts and anyone that knows anything are telling you it most likely will be bad when the two diseases collide but hey what do they know. So if you are bitching and complaining right now realize that here in this country the next 2 months or so are about as good as it will get so enjoy this awesome (horrible) situation we currently have.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8aaaca-e084-11ea-82d8-5e55d47e90ca_story.html

CAPE TOWN, South Africa — The pandemic has made a lot of bad things worse, but South Africa's near-total lack of a flu season this year stands out as a rare positive effect.

The country’s National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) has three laboratories that would normally record more than 1,000 cases of flu between April and August, winter in the Southern Hemisphere. As the 2020 season ends, they have recorded just one.

“It is a totally unprecedented event to not see flu,” said Cheryl Cohen, who leads NICD’s respiratory disease team. While she and other experts in South Africa said some people were certainly staying home and not reporting mild sicknesses, they all agreed that South Africa basically skipped its flu season — and that the coronavirus is to thank.

“The main explanation is that measures against coronavirus are having an impact on flu transmission,” Cohen said.

There is not a president in our history that could have mitigated all of the impacts. I agree with you that President Trump hasn't done the best job, but continually laying it at his feet is probably the most unproductive thing that can be done.

tag: lol

Im so tired of people bitching and complaining about things that aren't happening now while throwing in the caveats that its not that bad or its only young people etc... This clearly indicates either you were one of those people that has brushed the whole thing off from the beginning or you are tired of not being able to live your life and directing your energy in the wrong direction while beginning to brush the whole thing off. The very reason why we can't have the things we want to happen now, like sports and school is because of people in those groups. Just selfish irresponsible people that have no concept of communicable disease spread and the impact it can have on others, such as I don't know death. Seems that if you knew you or your actions were directly responsible for peoples deaths you might bitch less, then again my freedom!!!

This needs more pos rep than I have to give.

There is not a president in our history that could have mitigated all of the impacts. I agree with you that President Trump hasn't done the best job, but continually laying it at his feet is probably the most unproductive thing that can be done.

This is bullshit. We could have definitely mitigated this dramatically better. Enough with the excuses for/from your party. Ignoring Trump's responsibility is not helping anyone. He needs to feel the political pressure that comes with a population pissed off with the response and expecting better. We need more people laying this at his feet. You can't honestly discuss this without acknowledging the horrible way our federal government responded, led by Trump.

This is bullshit. We could have definitely mitigated this dramatically better. Enough with the excuses for/from your party. Ignoring Trump's responsibility is not helping anyone. He needs to feel the political pressure that comes with a population pissed off with the response and expecting better. We need more people laying this at his feet. You can't honestly discuss this without acknowledging the horrible way our federal government responded, led by Trump.

I'm not a republican. Never will be.

I didn't say that President Trump couldn't have done better - he 100% could have. Hillary would have done WAY better in response to this.

What I'm saying is that President Trump's failures are not the whole story. The failures at (as someone earlier in the thread said) nearly every conceivable level of government (federal, state, local) point toward a much more systemic problem. It's frightening to think that this scenario will almost certainly be wielded by autocratic/authoritarian governments to show how much better they are at "keeping people safe" during a crisis like this than democracy has been.

It's hella easy to arm-chair quarterback this thing, but I guess what's really killing me is that I haven't identified a vector to enact change in my local community.

I think besides this exposing that 30-40% of Americans are dumb as shit (makes sense with all the conspiracy theories and crazy evangelicals) that the other is that a lot of things in society have been neglected for the last 50+ years. Its easy to talk about the erosion of the middle class as a broad over encompassing topic but real problems exist that are painted over. Distract people with movies, sports, video games, internet, and other things while just laying waste to safety nets, things that are for the good of society and concentrating wealth. Public health has been neglected for decades despite the notion that we are the shiny example for the world. May have the best research, the most modern equipment, the most educated people but underneath the surface open up the warehouse and finding rotting PPE. That can be extrapolated to just about everything, from health care to infrastructure.

I didn't say that President Trump couldn't have done better - he 100% could have. Hillary would have done WAY better in response to this.

What I'm saying is that President Trump's failures are not the whole story. The failures at (as someone earlier in the thread said) nearly every conceivable level of government (federal, state, local) point toward a much more systemic problem. It's frightening to think that this scenario will almost certainly be wielded by autocratic/authoritarian governments to show how much better they are at "keeping people safe" during a crisis like this than democracy has been.

It's hella easy to arm-chair quarterback this thing, but I guess what's really killing me is that I haven't identified a vector to enact change in my local community.

another "i'm not a republican, i just support all their policies and even their worst candidates"

Two user names ago Donald trump was your perfect policy president so...

There's a vaccine trial in Greensboro. I signed up after a surgeon friend of mine recommended it as a way to make an impact. It's double blind. 50/50 chance I got saline. Got the shot around noon yesterday.

Dudes, either I'm a giant pussy that is totally wiped out by saline, or this motherfucking vaccine is like the flu vaccine times ten.

About four hours after getting the shot, it felt like mako had been practicing MMA on my right bicep.

That night at nine, I fell asleep like a fucking child. Wore out.

Today, no fever, but arm still feels like Juice tried to have sex with it, back pain, malaise like woah, and I'm crashing to bed.

another "i'm not a republican, i just support all their policies and even their worst candidates"

Every libertarian is going to have a liberal social side, and a fiscal conservative side. We're the (supposed) best half of both parties. Unfortunately, Republicans haven't been fiscally conservative in twenty years, and Democrats have gone bananas on gun control. Wooooooo...go fuck yourself.

Every libertarian is going to have a liberal social side, and a fiscal conservative side. We're the (supposed) best half of both parties. Unfortunately, Republicans haven't been fiscally conservative in twenty years, and Democrats have gone bananas on gun control. Wooooooo...go fuck yourself.

Lol, 20 years.

I made some comments over on the tunnels I guess under a different name that I'm deeply ashamed of. This Trump guy is bad. To anyone I hurt out there, I can't say from the bottom of my heart how very very sorry I am. I pride myself and think of myself as a reasonable man. As there's a drive into to deep left field by Costinaos it'll be a home run. And so that'll make it a Four Nothing ballgame. I don't know if i'm going to be posting as palma again.

how is one socially liberally without wanting to spend money? basically boils down to weed and gay marriage should be legal. anything else to actually help people would infringe on your fiscally conservative side.

Democrats have gone bananas on gun control? Wtf man inform yourself. I doubt you watch Fox but whatever podcasts or internet shit you’re plugged into are...not accurate.

Back