• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Just got word Oak Park IL is on "shelter in place" starting tomorrow. First town in IL to do so

Last edited:
Shelter in place announcement very likely for NC in the next 48 hours

I’ve heard from the different ert’s in various sectors to prepare for that probability in the next 48 hours.

My high school buddy Dan Kim has corona. You may know him from Lost, Hawaii 5-0, etc. One of the fittest guys I know...

Meh, fair enough. Thought it slightly more interesting than “Hey, someone in my neighborhood just got tested”

The magnitude doesn't really seem to be reaching a lot of people, so something like mandatory shelter in place enforced with fines like the European nations needs to be implemented. This is especially true if we are about to give everyone money no question asked. If you go about and do that without mandatory closure of the majority of places then it will make the problem way way worse.

so what does that entail? can't leave home at all?

I *think* it’s you can only leave for essential reasons such as groceries and medicine. But, you’re also allowed to go exercise outside or walk your dog, etc.

The magnitude doesn't really seem to be reaching a lot of people, so something like mandatory shelter in place enforced with fines like the European nations needs to be implemented. This is especially true if we are about to give everyone money no question asked. If you go about and do that without mandatory closure of the majority of places then it will make the problem way way worse.

good luck with that

I'm supposed to take a flight Sunday returning next Friday. I can postpone a week or even two, but it is going to happen one of those weeks the work has to be done. not sure if I am better off getting it out of the way next week, or waiting to see if things stabilize and go in two weeks. fuck

We were supposed to head to Emerald Isle Sunday for a week (planned for the kids' spring break, way in advance of all this mess). That county (Carteret) just announced a state of emergency where travel there is "discouraged" - their words. With all of the restaurants closed, we'd likely be spending all of our time at the house, venturing out only as necessary for food and groceries. Obviously if they make it mandatory before Sunday it's a moot point but I'm struggling with what to do.

We were supposed to head to Emerald Isle Sunday for a week (planned for the kids' spring break, way in advance of all this mess). That county (Carteret) just announced a state of emergency where travel there is "discouraged" - their words. With all of the restaurants closed, we'd likely be spending all of our time at the house, venturing out only as necessary for food and groceries. Obviously if they make it mandatory before Sunday it's a moot point but I'm struggling with what to do.

Stay home.

I'd try to get my money back because you want your vacation to be fun and it's not going to be all that much fun. Since the county has told you to stay home, you should be able to get your deposit back, right ?

However, healthwise, I don't see much difference between being homebound at your home or being homebound in a vacation home. You're just avoiding different locals.

Maybe I'm taking this more seriously than others? To me this sounds like saying, "I have a gun in my hand and I'm struggling with whether to put it down or shoot off my foot with it."

I think you’re taking it the appropriate seriousness.

Constraints breed creativity.

I wonder if the gov't would allow Ice Cube have several of his teams hunker down and televise some 3-on-3 games.

Back