• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Good post, Junebug.

It’s one trip. It’s worth it to sacrifice one trip for your family’s health.

With kids in the car, doubtful they make it from/to High Point to/from Emerald Isle without stopping to go to the bathroom at least once, likely at a gas station or rest stop.
The prior renters may have been sick.
The housekeepers may have been sick.
They will have to stock up on groceries in stores with other people stocking up on groceries for the week.
They will invariably spend more time out of the house while there and, if not, what's the point?

Just seems like a bad idea to me.

Just clean up when you get there and take your own groceries. Grocery store and gas stations are still open. If you're spending time on a deserted beach it's no big deal.

Just clean up when you get there and take your own groceries. Grocery store and gas stations are still open. If you're spending time on a deserted beach it's no big deal.

I’m pretty careful with the virus, but I think you’re right as long as you clean common surfaces when you get there.

...as long as it’s your vacation home and not a rental.

I'm supposed to take a flight Sunday returning next Friday. I can postpone a week or even two, but it is going to happen one of those weeks the work has to be done. not sure if I am better off getting it out of the way next week, or waiting to see if things stabilize and go in two weeks. fuck

Stay home

Heaven forbid someone in your group gets sick enough to be hospitalized, I assume your home would be hours from them? Don’t go.

We were supposed to head to Emerald Isle Sunday for a week (planned for the kids' spring break, way in advance of all this mess). That county (Carteret) just announced a state of emergency where travel there is "discouraged" - their words. With all of the restaurants closed, we'd likely be spending all of our time at the house, venturing out only as necessary for food and groceries. Obviously if they make it mandatory before Sunday it's a moot point but I'm struggling with what to do.

dude. really?

It has to be asked. Did Brews start this to get out of his wedding?

I should be in Vegas right now on my bachelor party but because some dude halfway across the world ate a bat (or possibly a sandshrew) 4 months ago my ass is at home.

Got everything successfully rebooked for our wedding though!

Pales in comparison to what other people are going through, we didn't want to put anyone in danger.

We were supposed to head to Emerald Isle Sunday for a week (planned for the kids' spring break, way in advance of all this mess). That county (Carteret) just announced a state of emergency where travel there is "discouraged" - their words. With all of the restaurants closed, we'd likely be spending all of our time at the house, venturing out only as necessary for food and groceries. Obviously if they make it mandatory before Sunday it's a moot point but I'm struggling with what to do.

Just chill in High Point for a lil bit

As a catch all for posts in the next week or so asking about travel: stay home. No do not go on vacation. No do not take that work trip that your boss insists is vital to the business. No it doesn’t matter that you planned this trip to Slovakia seven months ago. Stay home.

Social distancing works best if everyone does it, and does it well. It's like a group project where hopefully everyone contributes but there's always that one that doesn't do shit and then just rides everyone else work, don't be that asshole. Go on vacation with your family, asshole; go to the park and socialize with friends, asshole; go on a work trip, asshole; let your kids have play dates, asshole; fill a crowded beach, asshole.

I should be in Vegas right now on my bachelor party but because some dude halfway across the world ate a bat (or possibly a sandshrew) 4 months ago my ass is at home.

Got everything successfully rebooked for our wedding though!

Pales in comparison to what other people are going through, we didn't want to put anyone in danger.

when is the new date? my son has postponed his April wedding but we're all struggling to determine the best date. June feels preemptively early

That being said, don’t becoming a house-bound vegetable. Go for a walk or run, but stay clear of other people.

E: Obviously, this isn’t for people who live in a crowded city.

when is the new date? my son has postponed his April wedding but we're all struggling to determine the best date. June feels preemptively early

We moved it to December, don't want to risk it plus we miraculously lined up all the same vendors and venues and that day worked best for all parties.

My friend in Northern NJ says grocery stores in his town are opening from 6-9 AM exclusively for people over 60. Maybe some of you should have your parents call their local grocery stores to see if they are doing the same thing.

We moved it to December, don't want to risk it plus we miraculously lined up all the same vendors and venues and that day worked best for all parties.

congratulations and good luck - hopefully they will settle on a new date soon

Back