• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I mean, at what point does Europe just kinda stop worrying about it like we have?

great question, but unless I am missing an update, as of right now the US still requires a negative test before boarding a plane to come home from Europe

so, if you pop a positive test, you're out ~$10k to book a last-second flight adjustment and stay in Europe until you clear Covid

just buy travel insurance, no?

yes, done. Not cheap, but necessary due to Covid-19 requirements

am guessing the travel insurance industry is quite happy that the US continues to require a negative Covid-19 test prior to return.

I looked into travel insurance in January for a trip to Hawaii and they explicitly said Covid was not a covered event because it is a known risk.

that seems really dumb. car wrecks are a known risk, but they insure vehicles.

what a nightmare - have an upcoming trip to Europe and the fear is a Covid positive either upon arrival or just before the scheduled flight home.

One of my colleagues is currently on day 21 of what was supposed to be a 9 day trip to Ireland because she tested positive pre-departure and continues to test positive. I think she's allowed to leave with signed letter from a doctor even if she is still testing positive in a couple of days.

my travel insurance policy seems to indicate that I am covered from Covid-19 related contingencies, but I will have a tinge of uneasiness until I either complete travel successfully or have a reimbursement in hand (I have heard the horror stories of claims denials)

of course, even if reimbursed, there is still the pain in the arse aspect of being forced to either miss the vacation or remain in country

the third-party USAA referred me for travel insurance to seems to cover COVID but maybe I am a big dummy

https://www.cfins.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/COVID19-FAQ-Consumers-0122.pdf

It was really weird. They would cover me if I got sick before departure and had to cancel, but would not cover if, say the state of Hawaii decided to restrict travel or if I got sick during the trip and could not fly home. They said it was the same thing if I were to fly into an active combat zone and then my trip was disrupted by the combat. Delta was offering fee-less flight changes and the hotel was cancelable so I decided to not bother.

I looked into travel insurance in January for a trip to Hawaii and they explicitly said Covid was not a covered event because it is a known risk.

i'm sure there are policies that do cover covid though, just maybe not the base line coverage

maybe not the provider you looked at, but there are a ton of travel insurance options

Why even get travel insurance, seems dumb. Let's pay $40 just in case I have to cancel a trip and I'm out a $400 plane ticket? The odds are not in your favor here.

Why even get travel insurance, seems dumb. Let's pay $40 just in case I have to cancel a trip and I'm out a $400 plane ticket? The odds are not in your favor here.

a little different when it's X thousands on a package or vacation rental with no cancellation clauses

IMO, there are two legit reasons to get travel insurance:

1. concern re: medical coverage in another country - if someone in the traveling party has a known medical condition, could be exacerbated by travel, could make sense
2. Covid-19 limitations and the potential to be quarantined because you test positive even if asymptomatic (and boosted/previously infected, etc.)

and so yeah, Big Travel Insurance wants those Covid-19 restrictions to continue indefinitely

Don't know where your flying to, but tickets to Hawaii were about $900 per person for three travelers so it seemed worth investigating. Looking at Flights to France this summer and tickets are $1500 per person.

a little different when it's X thousands on a package or vacation rental with no cancellation clauses

Sure, but you know the insurance company is making a profit here, so it’s not a wise purchase no matter what unless somehow losing the money puts you out of house and home

One of my colleagues is currently on day 21 of what was supposed to be a 9 day trip to Ireland because she tested positive pre-departure and continues to test positive. I think she's allowed to leave with signed letter from a doctor even if she is still testing positive in a couple of days.

My daughter started showing symptoms on the 20th. Tested positive on the 24th for her flight home from France on the 25th. If she had tested negative this morning, she would have been able to fly home tomorrow. Since she did not, I had to get a letter from her pediatrician allowing her to travel home on Sunday. We're hoping my wife (who went over there to be with her) tests negative Saturday morning, or she'll have to stay another week.

What is the point of the pediatrician letter? Can someone not spread the Rona once they have a letter from their doctor, similar to how they can't spread it when they are actively eating or drinking?

Y’all really need to get the Rona at least one time before you start traveling internationally. To many people with week ass Immune systems thinking they are ready for the streets.

Back