• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

People are still doing the "just the flu" thing with over 1000 people dying daily?

People are still doing the "just the flu" thing with over 1000 people dying daily?

Which is not that far off of daily flu deaths in a normal year. So while I wouldn't say "just the flu", with where we are now, "similar to the flu" would be reasonably accurate.

Coronavirus vs. Flu Deaths­

COVID-19: Current COVID-19 deaths*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

The COVID-19 situation continues to change, sometimes rapidly. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19. At present, it is thought to be substantially higher (possibly 10 times or more) than that of most strains of the flu.

*This information comes from the Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases map developed by the Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Flu season is 3-4 months, maybe 5 at most

52,000 deaths in 4 months is 433 per day

So the worst flu has a death rate about 40% as high as the current Covid rate. And this is the mildest Covid we’ve seen.

So the worst flu has a death rate about 40% as high as the current Covid rate. And this is the mildest Covid we’ve seen.

People in the hospital still have the old variants and they're in the hospital because they're not vaccinated.

People in the hospital still have the old variants and they're in the hospital because they're not vaccinated.

Ok, so the Covid going around is still dangerous…or not? It’s hard to follow the “Covid is just a bad flu” argument sometimes.

So I'm not concerned with that with regard to my own health. That's they're choice. if i get Covid now, it's probably not going to be the original or Delta because I'm vaccinated and have had a booster. If I get a breakthrough of Omicron it's probably going to be non-symptomatic or like a cold. That's less deadly than the flu.

Right

But the flu rate that was reported earlier was about 1/3 of that flu rate

And as noted, an extremely high percentage of current Covid deaths are people who have chosen not to use a very effective vaccine, and deaths being reported to date are from a variant which emerging experience suggests is more lethal than the current dominant variant.

LOL. Can’t believe people value this guy’s opinions.

i think FL has more covid deaths than NY now (62K to 59K). i forget who said what way back when (Ph vs Angus maybe?), but somebody thought FL could overtake NY in deaths before this was all said and done, and it seemed ridiculous at the time.

i think FL has more covid deaths than NY now (62K to 59K). i forget who said what way back when (Ph vs Angus maybe?), but somebody thought FL could overtake NY in deaths before this was all said and done, and it seemed ridiculous at the time.

Angus said FL would never overtake NY. But angus is really bad with numbers.

do you have splits on vax vs unvaxed deaths among the 1000?

I think that’s where a lot of the lack of sympathy comes from

Did we get the breakdown of vaxxed vs un?

The actual splits vary a lot based on the underlying vax rate in a particular community. The protection provided by vaccines is consistent and huge across the board. I believe the reference Connor is making to a 1:14 ratio is based on CDC estimates of the difference in death *rates* based on US data from October (see this link). This is different than the raw breakdown, because the base rates make such a difference (nice explainer from our world in data here). Because we have relatively low vaccine and booster uptake, population wide data in the US are generally going to show the vast majority of those in ICUs and dying of COVID to be unvaccinated. But that could range anywhere from 90%+ in low vax counties to 50% or less in highly vaccinated pockets of the country.

I think it is fair to say that if you are young, fully vaccinated, with no major medical problems, you are extremely well protected. And I totally understand the frustration and lack of sympathy for the unvaxxed this far along into the pandemic. I just think people underestimate how many vulnerable people are still out there. My 7 year old neighbor with cerebral palsy died of COVID 2 weeks ago. There are tons of people out there with compromised immune systems for all kinds of reasons, some whom get a lesser degree of protection from vaccines, and some who aren't even eligible.

And then there are the the many who could be well protected with vaccines who aren't. And for many of them you could rightly argue "personal responsibility." It's frustrating as hell. But there's so much misinformation out there and we haven't done a great job with outreach in a lot of disadvantaged communities. And while you may not think these people getting sick will impact you, our medical system is basically in crisis right now. And if ERs are swamped and we have no staffed beds to offer, that will impact not just the Covid morons, but cancer patients, and people who need urgent medical attention for heart attacks, strokes, car accidents, you name it. Non emergent surgeries are on hold in major medical centers across the country right now, including mine.

Back