• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-religious wedding ceremony

love is more thicker than forget
more thinner than recall
more seldom than a wave is wet
more frequent than to fail

it is most mad and moonly
and less it shall unbe
than all the sea which only
is deeper than the sea

love is less always than to win
less never than alive
less bigger than the least begin
less littler than forgive

it is most sane and sunly
and more it cannot die
than all the sky which only
is higher than the sky

-cummings

I get that it's cummings, but you lost me at "more thicker."

Don't want to derail, but I think it's a pretty beautiful commentary on the stupid, blinding, punch-drunk nature of overwhelming love. The uncharacteristically facile rhyming and structure, I think are probably adding to its meta-commentary on love and love poetry. It's not necessarily being ironic, but I think it's sort of an ironic take on sentimentality and the ability to express the feelings of love with language.

Wait, is there a point of having a non-religious wedding ceremony? Isn't marriage a religious concept?

Wait, is there a point of having a non-religious wedding ceremony? Isn't marriage a religious concept?

in our increasingly secularized society, i think there's still a place for the institution of marriage without the religiousity of a ceremony. i think rev may disagree with me, but i think there's still a lot of beauty in the symbolism of a wedding ceremony, even without the presence of scripture/prayer/God.

in our increasingly secularized society, i think there's still a place for the institution of marriage without the religiousity of a ceremony. i think rev may disagree with me, but i think there's still a lot of beauty in the symbolism of a wedding ceremony, even without the presence of scripture/prayer/God.

Sort of a head scratcher to me. My, admittedly limited, understanding of a marriage is that it unites the couple in holy matrimony, as in, God is the third member of the union, so to speak.

Nah man. The word refers to the bond, but that bond can be legal, religious, or social. It's definitely steeped in religious history, but also has legal and cultural connotations.

Sort of a head scratcher to me. My, admittedly limited, understanding of a marriage is that it unites the couple in holy matrimony, as in, God is the third member of the union, so to speak.

I agree with you Townie, but as BSD suggests, terminology has to be addressed.

Marriage- the state of two people being in a civil (and sometimes religious/spiritual/whatever) union that comes with legal benefits and a sense of commitment and fidelity to each other.

Wedding- the ceremony in which a marriage is enacted/made legal/begins, can be either religious or not.

Holy Matrimony- the wedding ceremony within the context of the Church.

Marriage isn't about love. Love isn't the best reason to get married. Love is a good reason to get engaged, but marriage is about commitment. And any ceremony that celebrates the foundation of love and then charges (and blesses, if religious context) that couple with the task of commitment (in religious language= covenant), is a good one for society, and the couple.

If you get into the etymology of matrimony it has nothing to do with God.

I agree. I look at our wedding as a celebration of two people realizing love in its highest form.

Last edited:

It can be this, but is in now way limited to this.

I agree with you Townie, but as BSD suggests, terminology has to be addressed.

Marriage- the state of two people being in a civil (and sometimes religious/spiritual/whatever) union that comes with legal benefits and a sense of commitment and fidelity to each other.

Wedding- the ceremony in which a marriage is enacted/made legal/begins, can be either religious or not.

Holy Matrimony- the wedding ceremony within the context of the Church.

Marriage isn't about love. Love isn't the best reason to get married. Love is a good reason to get engaged, but marriage is about commitment. And any ceremony that celebrates the foundation of love and then charges (and blesses, if religious context) that couple with the task of commitment (in religious language= covenant), is a good one for society, and the couple.

agree with the bold.

Last edited:
Yea i think rev was saying love by itself is necessary but not sufficient for marriage. You gotta combine it with commitment.

I would have to say that I would say love and commitment are entwined in this sense.

Yea i think rev was saying love by itself is necessary but not sufficient for marriage. You gotta combine it with commitment.

Right Townie. Not that love is separate from commitment, but in my mind, a wedding is primarily a ceremony of commitment, not love. Of course it's just about impossible to make that sort of commitment without an immense amount of love. There are lots of couples out there who are certainly in love, but aren't ready for marriage for a variety of reasons, and that's the sort of difference that I'm getting at.

Right Townie. Not that love is separate from commitment, but in my mind, a wedding is primarily a ceremony of commitment, not love. Of course it's just about impossible to make that sort of commitment without an immense amount of love. There are lots of couples out there who are certainly in love, but aren't ready for marriage for a variety of reasons, and that's the sort of difference that I'm getting at.

Yeah my bad misread initially. I agree.

Thanks for the responses. And of course meant no offense, discdude. Marriage is pretty awesome, good luck!

Back