• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-religious wedding ceremony

I'm totally on the fence on this whole subject.

On the one hand I was raised Catholic and that is a strong part of my family identity but as far as religion I'm willin to accept there are greater forces at work than I am aware of but that's it.

So, I don't want to have a wedding that would be saying "Well it's just me and you" but I also don't think I can handle a whole bunch of religious content that I may or may not believe in.

Basically, I want to believe in the vows that I'm saying 100%.

Would this not work (the standard one)-
In the Name of God, I, N., take you, N., to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death. This is my solemn vow.

If you can at least get on board with the idea of a "greater force," does "the name of God" fit that, or does that go to far?

I'm totally on the fence on this whole subject.

On the one hand I was raised Catholic and that is a strong part of my family identity but as far as religion I'm willin to accept there are greater forces at work than I am aware of but that's it.

So, I don't want to have a wedding that would be saying "Well it's just me and you" but I also don't think I can handle a whole bunch of religious content that I may or may not believe in.

We are incorporating a lot family and friends, reading a lot of stuff about love and commitment, and writing our own vows. Our hope is that the ceremony will demonstrate our love and commitment to one another, as well as show that we look to and appreciate the love and support of those around us.

Would this not work (the standard one)-
In the Name of God, I, N., take you, N., to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death. This is my solemn vow.

If you can at least get on board with the idea of a "greater force," does "the name of God" fit that, or does that go to far?

Nah. I'm down with calling the greater force God. I guess most accurately I'm agnostic. I still pray for things but I think of that as more than hoping and wishing.

ETA: when I say "things" I don't mean material goods.

We are incorporating a lot family and friends, reading a lot of stuff about love and commitment, and writing our own vows. Our hope is that the ceremony will demonstrate our love and commitment to one another, as well as show that we look to and appreciate the love and support of those around us.

Sounds good, good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Back