• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nonconference football schedules and UNC

The Tidewater area around ODU is good recruiting. UVa or VT dominate when one recruits well from here (Welch, then Beamer). Playing there may be a a tactical decision for recruiting.

I hate playing the service academies because we are so deferential to them. Only Wake would let the opponent parachute into their stadium on homecoming.

I hate playing the service academies because we are so deferential to them. Only Wake would let the opponent parachute into their stadium on homecoming.

Yeah plus it’s boring as hell, only thing worse is the FCS game every year (bonus negative points if the FCS game is the Thursday opener — lame) but I understand why we do it. I just can’t get hyped for these games.

It would be unkind to call Army/Navy dirty, but understating to call them "chippy"

Yeah plus it’s boring as hell, only thing worse is the FCS game every year (bonus negative points if the FCS game is the Thursday opener — lame) but I understand why we do it. I just can’t get hyped for these games.

A win, is a win, is a win. Plus, we know that Kern is a keeper because he got to prove himself.

Big bowl of she crab soup. It should be a nice game. They play in a refurbished old oyster bowl stadium. Should be a nice trip.

It does sound like a nice trip - tho' I won't be going.
But it will be a return trip of sorts for the Deacons as I recall listening to the radio call for a night game Deacs vs ? ( William & Mary?) in the late '50s when Norm Snead was QB. Played in the Oyster Bowl with a heavy rain from a not too far away hurricane. IIRC. Long time ago.

Whatever happened to our short lived rivalry with ECU? Would like to see that again.

You guys are missing the point. Although I personally view the nation's military as a necessary evil, service academy football is, IMO, what college football should be all about, as opposed to a bunch of future pros playing at Clemson and Alabama. It is a privilege to play the academies and to watch the corps marching on the field and the playing of the respective schools' alma maters at game's end. If you have never been to an Army-Navy game, please go once just to see the pageantry. These schools are much like Wake in size and academic ideals.

We don't need to be playing the Gamecocks. They left the ACC because Pepsodent Paul Dietzel wanted to build a national champion without any academic impingements. Ironically, the powerhouse developed down the road at Clemson. And the move to the SEC arguably killed USC's basketball program despite a recent Final Four appearance.
19 years. Can't win a war. Bout like football team.

ECU cancelled the last scheduled game with Wake. Seemed to see us as we saw App St a few years ago. Nothing to gain in losing. Not sure since then.

We filled our open spot on 9-11-21 with...…….Norfolk St. It cost us 300K. Story is from fbschedule.com

These are the types of FCS games I like to see. Absolutely no chance of losing and good chance to get everyone rest and backups play time.

For example we'd be a 50 point home favorite over them this year per Sagarin (Elon and Rice would be 23 and 20 point favorites on a neutral site respectively)

ODU, Norfolk St., conference game, UNC would be a good way to start the season.

Yeah. I’m really hoping we don’t have an early bye there. A home conference game against BC or Cuse would fit nicely there.

Currie stopped by a OGB (newspaper) meeting last week. Asked him about playing UNC again and he said it was a "top priority."

Whatever that means, but as a student that generates a ton more interest than Old Dominion or Norfolk.

Sure I think those are different scheduling priorities though.

1. We already play UNC in 2021 (return trip from this year)
2. ODU makes sense because playing transitioning FCS to FBS teams gives you a weak team that counts as towards bowl eligibility without being a second FCS game (which wouldn't)
3. ODU is in a rich recruiting area
4. Norfolk was filling the FCS slot for 2021 - it was always going to be an FCS team that got that spot

We should try to play UNC every other year as the P5 that we play and when we don't play them go out and try and land a bigger fish. Then a mid-tier opponent that could be decent that is a fun team (Utah State ended up being a good example), a lower tier FBS team with recruiting targets (Rice, ODU), and an FCS team.

Back