• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nonconference football schedules and UNC

Makes sense, and not to be pedantic but I'd rather play a Elon/William&Mary/Richmond than Norfolk. Those three have relatively similar academic reputations as us. More students will have friends from HS at these schools (I know I do) which generates some unique interest.

Water under the bridge at this point, though.

Sure I think those are different scheduling priorities though.

1. We already play UNC in 2021 (return trip from this year)
2. ODU makes sense because playing transitioning FCS to FBS teams gives you a weak team that counts as towards bowl eligibility without being a second FCS game (which wouldn't)
3. ODU is in a rich recruiting area
4. Norfolk was filling the FCS slot for 2021 - it was always going to be an FCS team that got that spot

We should try to play UNC every other year as the P5 that we play and when we don't play them go out and try and land a bigger fish. Then a mid-tier opponent that could be decent that is a fun team (Utah State ended up being a good example), a lower tier FBS team with recruiting targets (Rice, ODU), and an FCS team.

It may work for us but I seriously doubt they will ever agree to that arrangement. Would love to beat them every year. My mom was cussing the Heels as a Wolfpack war wife the year before I was born so I learned early.

Why does academic reputation matter in a football game vs an FCS team?

Norfolk State worth scheduling for their band alone (OK this is mainly Justice but I enjoy this vid):

Just hope we don't get Kyle O'Quinn'd

An HBCU in Norfolk, VA.

You said you'd rather play FCS schools with better academic reputations.

Does playing ODU in Winston-Salem really help us with recruiting? I feel like playing higher profile programs in areas we want to recruit might actually mean something. Respectfully, I don’t think playing ODU at home does. The kids that would take notice are probably kids we should be able to get anyway. IMHO

So should we only play ODU on the road? Gotta fill the schedule somehow

Well we’re playing ODU next year to open the season on the road and the 2021 game is the return trip

If you read above, numbers seemed to be supporting ODU, in part, because it is in rich recruiting territory. I’m not sure how much that helps us. I really don’t know. If ODU gets lots of local support and interest, then it certainly seems it could.

Seems like a decent way to get inroads into the Norfolk area. Play a road game in Norfolk one year and host two teams from Norfolk the next year to start the season.

Thanks for adding that, numbers. Local kids seeing us live, or just taking note of our being in town, certainly could generate some interest with local recruits.

Agreed. I don’t think a one-off against an ODU moves the needle with higher ranked recruits. Consistently being more visible could pay off.

Agreed. I don’t think a one-off against an ODU moves the needle with higher ranked recruits. Consistently being more visible could pay off.

Wouldn't hurt to show up in Norfolk after the Orange Bowl either.

Yep. We want to get local pub as a legit P5 program coming to town, not associated as an ODU/NS caliber program.

If you read above, numbers seemed to be supporting ODU, in part, because it is in rich recruiting territory. I’m not sure how much that helps us. I really don’t know. If ODU gets lots of local support and interest, then it certainly seems it could.
We also want a scheduling philosophy that it has us with at least six home games every year

Makes sense, and not to be pedantic but I'd rather play a Elon/William&Mary/Richmond than Norfolk. Those three have relatively similar academic reputations as us. More students will have friends from HS at these schools (I know I do) which generates some unique interest.

Water under the bridge at this point, though.

Silly.

the FCS teams are all the same to me so whoever we play doesn't matter, just know we have a virtually guaranteed W on the schedule and a relatively boring week of football. at least it's not a Thursday kick-off game -- those are the worst when it's FCS or someone like Tulane to start the year.

Back