• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nonconference football schedules and UNC

Yeah it is. We should never play liberty in anything. Paying a bigoted scam school to play sports is inane.

If you're going to play a HBCU, A&T makes more sense. They now have a good program, making them a better option than WSSU. I doubt they would ask for as much money as wouldn't be a true road game for them and they have a good fanbase that would likely show up.

If you're going to play a HBCU, A&T makes more sense. They now have a good program, making them a better option than WSSU. I doubt they would ask for as much money as wouldn't be a true road game for them and they have a good fanbase that would likely show up.

We played them in the Grobe era.

I’m guessing they weren’t available. FCS games don’t really matter to me so I’d be fine if we just rotated between local programs which we’ve done for the most part.

A&T makes sense locally and I doubt they’d beat us (see duke game) but they’ve also been a top 30 FCS team over the last couple years. Pass.

With neither UVa or VT being particularly strong right now, I really like hitting the Tidewater region hard right now. Whoever has strong recruiting presence in that area has had strong programs. I think UNC got Lawrence Taylor from that region back in the 70's-80's (Williamsburg, close enough).

What about that is silly?

The idea that the AD should take into account who you went to high school with, or the class rank and SAT scores of the student body, when scheduling some crap opponent we're going to beat by 50.

With neither UVa or VT being particularly strong right now, I really like hitting the Tidewater region hard right now. Whoever has strong recruiting presence in that area has had strong programs. I think UNC got Lawrence Taylor from that region back in the 70's-80's (Williamsburg, close enough).

It depends on the type of kids you're looking to recruit as well. VT's top receiving threat (Turner) and QB (Hooker) are Greensboro kids. I don't recall whether Wake was interested in them, or vice-versa. The Wahoos probably go after the same type as Wake. I thought Mike London would force VT to up its recruiting game in the 757. That didn't happen and both programs suffered because of it.

The idea that the AD should take into account who you went to high school with, or the class rank and SAT scores of the student body, when scheduling some crap opponent we're going to beat by 50.

I didn't say the AD should do such a thing, I expressed a personal opinion about what I'd prefer to see. Not sure why you're lashing out. Wasn't aware how toxic these boards were, will be sure to stay away going forward.

You were being critical of the scheduling, preferring one school profile over another. I didn't lash out. You're being sensitive.

I want the non-conference schedule to consist of three of the worst possible FCS or G5 opponents in the recruiting footprint. I would also like them spread evenly throughout the season, kind of like miniature bye weeks.

That way the newspaper/10:00pm news or whatever source you choose, has the headline, "Wake Forest kicks the ever living shit out of Such and Such State"

The 4th team can be whoever. Good or Bad, don't care.

^ makes for a shitty season ticket package. Who wants to watch Wake play Liberty, Elon, Norfolk Tech, East Delaware State? Not this guy.

^ makes for a shitty season ticket package. Who wants to watch Wake play Liberty, Elon, Norfolk Tech, East Delaware State? Not this guy.

I get that, but I would rather watch Wake hang 70 on Norfolk Tech than to watch them lose by 3 to someone else. I'm not saying that Wake can't beat better teams, but I have enough heart attacks vs conference teams.

It would also be cool for the Norfolk newspaper to write an article about the local kid scoring 6 TDs against his hometown team. Hopefully, his younger and more talented cousin commits the next day.

I want College Football Live to spend an entire segment talking about whether or not it was "fair" for Wake to beat Middle Georgia State by 100.

By rule, all ACC teams have to play a Power V school or ND for at least 1 OOC game. Also, only one FCS win can count to your bowl total; so, by playing 3 FCS teams, you would be making it more difficult to become bowl eligible. Also, you want exposure for your program, and playing Norfolk Tech doesn't do that. Finally, one of the benefits of playing a competitive opponent is that it prepares you for competitive games in the conference season. Think that pulling out the Utah State game this year (or Indiana in 2016 or App in 2017) helped when WF faced similar competitive situations later in the schedule.

Playing 3 craptastic opponents would not help the program.

Last edited:
I would like one decent P5 opponent a year. Games against the likes of Ole Miss, Baylor, Purdue or a higher standard make for decent road trips and add a little variety to the schedule, I personally enjoy those more than playing in some shitty bowl if it comes down to a choice between the two (and often it wouldn't).

Seems like we're adopting this approach moving forward so no complaints

I want to watch Wake play and I prefer for them to win. I would rather easily beat Liberty, Elon, etc. than struggle with Utah St, Army, because in the end it is all the same. Our ACC schedule is difficult enough. Until we get to regularly expecting to win 5+ conference games every year, then let's make our out of conference as easy as we can.

FWIW, I can't believe any WF fan/alumnus would rather play Elon, Norfolk State or Liberty rather than UNC when they are not WF's crossover opponent from the other ACC division.

If you don't want to play/beat UNC, why even have a football program at all?

Back