• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina: A state in decline

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/opinion/the-decline-of-north-carolina.html?_r=0

EDITORIAL
The Decline of North Carolina
By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

Every Monday since April, thousands of North Carolina residents have gathered at the State Capitol to protest the grotesque damage that a new Republican majority has been doing to a tradition of caring for the least fortunate. Nearly 700 people have been arrested in the “Moral Monday” demonstrations, as they are known. But the bad news keeps on coming from the Legislature, and pretty soon a single day of the week may not be enough to contain the outrage.

In January, after the election of Pat McCrory as governor, Republicans took control of both the executive and legislative branches for the first time since Reconstruction. Since then, state government has become a demolition derby, tearing down years of progress in public education, tax policy, racial equality in the courtroom and access to the ballot.

The cruelest decision by lawmakers went into effect last week: ending federal unemployment benefits for 70,000 residents. Another 100,000 will lose their checks in a few months. Those still receiving benefits will find that they have been cut by a third, to a maximum of $350 weekly from $535, and the length of time they can receive benefits has been slashed from 26 weeks to as few as 12 weeks.

The state has the fifth-highest unemployment rate in the country, and many Republicans insulted workers by blaming their joblessness on generous benefits. In fact, though, North Carolina is the only state that has lost long-term federal benefits, because it did not want to pay back $2.5 billion it owed to Washington for the program. The State Chamber of Commerce argued that cutting weekly benefits would be better than forcing businesses to pay more in taxes to pay off the debt, and lawmakers blindly went along, dropping out of the federal program.

At the same time, the state is also making it harder for future generations of workers to get jobs, cutting back sharply on spending for public schools. Though North Carolina has been growing rapidly, it is spending less on schools now than it did in 2007, ranking 46th in the nation in per-capita education dollars. Teacher pay is falling, 10,000 prekindergarten slots are scheduled to be removed, and even services to disabled children are being chopped.

“We are losing ground,” Superintendent June Atkinson said recently, warning of a teacher exodus after lawmakers proposed ending extra pay for teachers with master’s degrees, cutting teacher assistants and removing limits on class sizes.

Republicans repealed the Racial Justice Act, a 2009 law that was the first in the country to give death-row inmates a chance to prove they were victims of discrimination. They have refused to expand Medicaid and want to cut income taxes for the rich while raising sales taxes on everyone else. The Senate passed a bill that would close most of the state’s abortion clinics.

And, naturally, the Legislature is rushing to impose voter ID requirements and cut back on early voting and Sunday voting, which have been popular among Democratic voters. One particularly transparent move would end a tax deduction for dependents if students vote at college instead of their hometowns, a blatant effort to reduce Democratic voting strength in college towns like Chapel Hill and Durham.

North Carolina was once considered a beacon of farsightedness in the South, an exception in a region of poor education, intolerance and tightfistedness. In a few short months, Republicans have begun to dismantle a reputation that took years to build.

Good read, glad to see this travesty getting national attention, though I'm afraid that all it will do is toughen the stance of the legislature and be seen as just another attack from the "liberal media."

I know, politics board and all, but I figured it belonged here where it could get more views and discussion. The education bit is the most troubling to me.

I miss North Carolina dearly, but from Amendment One to the current state government, I've been continually disappointed in it since I left.

Pretty good op/Ed. For someone who talked about fixing the "brand" of North Carolina to help with economic development and recruiting more companies to the state, McCrory's policies so far have pretty much just brought negative national attention. He's also completely overhauling Commerce, and it's unclear what the impact there could be. There are some lawmakers who just want to eliminate all incentives to companies considering coming here, which would pretty much kill most recruiting efforts.

Good read, glad to see this travesty getting national attention, though I'm afraid that all it will do is toughen the stance of the legislature and be seen as just another attack from the "liberal media."

Great point. If you want to effectuate a change in policy, criticism from the NY Times is probably only going to strengthen the resolve of this group. Come to think of it, they sound a lot like Ron Wellman.

Pretty good op/Ed. For someone who talked about fixing the "brand" of North Carolina to help with economic development and recruiting more companies to the state, McCrory's policies so far have pretty much just brought negative national attention. He's also completely overhauling Commerce, and it's unclear what the impact there could be. There are some lawmakers who just want to eliminate all incentives to companies considering coming here, which would pretty much kill most recruiting efforts.

Sure McCrory and Pope are rubber stamping all of this stuff, but it's the nutjobs in the legislature who know no boundaries. And they're from everywhere in the state EXCEPT THE BIG CITIES, which is telling. It also points out what a disaster the recent state legislative redistricting will be for NC for the next decade. I guess people in rural parts of NC figure things can't be much worse than they already are. I mean when you have terrible schools with no chance of improving them, why spend any more money than you have to?

I am not very political, as a rule, but I think the protests are a bunch of crap.

Townie, thanks for posting here; I wouldn't have found it had it been on the politics board.

Very sad for the state that I love and miss. The education stuff is particularly upsetting. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone, ever, thinks that cutting education spending is a positive move for the future.

I am not very political, as a rule, but I think the protests are a bunch of crap.

Thank you for this well thought out non-political post.

Even if you disagree with their platform, methods, whatever, I think it's good to see people protesting again in America in some sort of large, organized fashion. From Occupy to Moral Mondays, you might completely disagree with the message (or in some cases lack thereof), but at least it represents a lack of complacency, or a sense of some sort of civic pride. It's easy to call the protests crap or say that voting is meaningless or that you aren't political until the shit hits your doorstep.

Not to make a political comment or anything in the pit, but trying to make sure NC stays red is no real big deal as far as national politics is concerned. As long as the Dems can pick off VA & FL on a fairly regular basis, NC can go backwards and stay red until the end of time and it won't matter on a national level.

As far as jobs, education, & quality of life goes, they are probably screwed unless you're the 2%.

Go ahead, elaborate.

I don't really want to get into a political discussion.... The protests just smack of sour grapes to me. The left lost control of the NC legislature for the first time in like forever and now they don't like what's going on. Well too bad - write your representatives, write letters to the editor, campaign harder for your candidates next time, win back control, whatever... But don't interfere with the process of government to get your face on TV while screaming for attention. If you want to protest to bring attention to the issues, there are other places and times to do that - I am all for people exercising their first amendment rights...

I don't really want to get into a political discussion.... The protests just smack of sour grapes to me. The left lost control of the NC legislature for the first time in like forever and now they don't like what's going on. Well too bad - write your representatives, write letters to the editor, campaign harder for your candidates next time, win back control, whatever... But don't interfere with the process of government to get your face on TV while screaming for attention. If you want to protest to bring attention to the issues, there are other places and times to do that - I am all for people exercising their first amendment rights...

But still they were elected to govern 100% of the population, not disenfranchise 40% of it.

What are the better places and times?

Also - if it was just sour grapes, then the protests would've started right after the election. Instead, they waited until the legislature actually took action that, at least the protestors believe, is incredibly damaging for North Carolina's future. It sounds like they are just exerising their first amendment rights, which you are all for.

And how have the protests interfered with the process of government?

And are you going to go down there and tell the public school teachers and retired clergy who are protesting that they are just whiny and screaming for attention?

New state motto:

North Carolina - Becoming Mississippi faster than you can say Tar Heel!!

As libertarian type who thought things were headed in the wrong directions under the Dems, it seems to me that after years of dem control and corruption (control of the Senate since 1898), the reps are now swinging too far in the other direction. But, I thought most saw it coming. The pendulum has slowly been pulled 50 feet in the air to the left over 110+ years of legislative control and was suddenly just dropped. I'm unsurprised to see it swinging wildly in the other direction. It will take another election cycle or two to slow it down and get it swinging more slowly in the middle.

The protests just smack of sour grapes to me.

This has nothing to do with sour grapes, at least not for me and a lot of the religious leaders that I know who are participating in protests. This is about (in)justice, standing in solidarity with the least of these, and not being a bystander who allows these repressive laws pass without at least voicing dissent.

Back