• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina: A state in decline

I don't really want to get into a political discussion.... The protests just smack of sour grapes to me. The left lost control of the NC legislature for the first time in like forever and now they don't like what's going on. Well too bad - write your representatives, write letters to the editor, campaign harder for your candidates next time, win back control, whatever... But don't interfere with the process of government to get your face on TV while screaming for attention. If you want to protest to bring attention to the issues, there are other places and times to do that - I am all for people exercising their first amendment rights...

If the Eastern NC dems hadn't done such a piss poor job of running this state (and repeatedly been accused of ethical violations/funds mismanagement), perhaps they could still be promoting the social programs they (and I to a degree) favor. It was time for a change. For the record, I disagree with McCrory's decision to cut unemployment benefits.

I'll be back one day to save the motherland. Buckets for Governor in 2030.

If the Eastern NC dems hadn't done such a piss poor job of running this state (and repeatedly been accused of ethical violations/funds mismanagement), perhaps they could still be promoting the social programs they (and I to a degree) favor. It was time for a change. For the record, I disagree with McCrory's decision to cut unemployment benefits.

1. Democrats sucked at running things
2. GOP says "get them out let us try"
3. GOP sucks at running things, but does so to an extent that the state becomes the laughingstock of the nation as far as state legislatures go
4. People say that citizens shouldn't protest

Sounds about right, no wonder nothing gets done.

As libertarian type who thought things were headed in the wrong directions under the Dems, it seems to me that after years of dem control and corruption (control of the Senate since 1898), the reps are now swinging too far in the other direction. But, I thought most saw it coming. The pendulum has slowly been pulled 50 feet in the air to the left over 110+ years of legislative control and was suddenly just dropped. I'm unsurprised to see it swinging wildly in the other direction. It will take another election cycle or two to slow it down and get it swinging more slowly in the middle.

I generally agree with this.

What Republicans are doing to education in this state, specifically to Pre-K programs, is fucking insane.

I believe jhmd calls it "restoring fiscal sanity."

While our state legislature debates the merits of forcing grade schoolers to learn cursive, some 4th grader in Bangalore, India is studying Newtonian Mechanics and couple probably pass the Physics AP exam already.

Story of NC:

BIG GOVERNMENT runs wild.
BIG GOVERNMENT is voted out.
BIG EVERYTHING ELSE runs wild.
????

Question for everybody. How many of your Facebook friends have shared this article today?

I'm up to 12.

Well jhmd is here this thread now sucks, so please leave.

Anyways since everywhere seems to be on the decline, is there anywhere right now that is on the incline. Like wow I really like what they are doing in Idaho right now?

Anyways since everywhere seems to be on the decline, is there anywhere right now that is on the incline. Like wow I really like what they are doing in Idaho right now?

As far as I can tell, NC is still a pretty great place to be as long as you're rich and white and have no kids.

I heard an interview with the mayor of Seattle on Science Friday a few weeks ago, he made it seem like a place on the incline.

Back