• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina: A state in decline

What Republicans are doing to education in this state, specifically to Pre-K programs, is fucking insane.

I cannot find any study/research that pre-K has a positive effect on high school graduation rates. Anyone got something I can read?

Try the Perry study.

If all those old traditional white men had been doing as they said and "helping people who need assistance though no fault of their own," then the government would never have needed to create "a nanny state full of government dependents."

So it sounds like all those old traditional white men are just full of shit.

I for one agree that we should go back to the days when it was embarrassing to live off other people's labor.

I suggest that McCrory hand a copy of that letter to all the corporations who are going to flock to this state for the tax breaks when they ask for taxpayer-funded infrastructure, tax breaks for creating jobs, interest free loans from the government, free land bought by the taxpayer, and taxpayer-funded training for all their workers.

ETA: sorry, forgot I was in the Pit and not the Tunnels.

Try the Perry study.

HighScope Perry Preschool Study
Lifetime Effects: The HighScope Perry Preschool Study Through Age 40 (2005)

This study — perhaps the most well-known of all HighScope research efforts — examines the lives of 123 children born in poverty and at high risk of failing in school.

From 1962–1967, at ages 3 and 4, the subjects were randomly divided into a program group that received a high-quality preschool program based on HighScope's participatory learning approach and a comparison group who received no preschool program. In the study's most recent phase, 97% of the study participants still living were interviewed at age 40. Additional data were gathered from the subjects' school, social services, and arrest records.

The study found that adults at age 40 who had the preschool program had higher earnings, were more likely to hold a job, had committed fewer crimes, and were more likely to have graduated from high school than adults who did not have preschool. See Figures 1 and 2 for more information.

Perry%20webFig1_rev2011_02.jpg

p4_2specialsummaryColor.jpg

Thanks. Appears a ripe area for research.

Seems to me the Perry sample of 123 is way too small.

True but you're not going to get that type of control group or longitudinal data elsewhere.

As libertarian type who thought things were headed in the wrong directions under the Dems, it seems to me that after years of dem control and corruption (control of the Senate since 1898), the reps are now swinging too far in the other direction. But, I thought most saw it coming. The pendulum has slowly been pulled 50 feet in the air to the left over 110+ years of legislative control and was suddenly just dropped. I'm unsurprised to see it swinging wildly in the other direction. It will take another election cycle or two to slow it down and get it swinging more slowly in the middle.

The Democrats were moderate compared to the current batch of Republicans.

This has nothing to do with sour grapes, at least not for me and a lot of the religious leaders that I know who are participating in protests. This is about (in)justice, standing in solidarity with the least of these, and not being a bystander who allows these repressive laws pass without at least voicing dissent.

The majority of voters in North Carolina elected these representatives. There's no "injustice". Sorry, you're pissed off because it doesn't square with your liberal agenda.

The Democrats were moderate compared to the current batch of Republicans.

Ehh. Moderate in the sense that they knew they controlled things and had done so for 110+ years...plenty of time to influence things their way. Never mind the corruption that goes along with being in power for that long. You were bound to get less moderate reps after that many years of dem control IMO.

The majority of voters in North Carolina elected these representatives. There's no "injustice". Sorry, you're pissed off because it doesn't square with your liberal agenda.

Elected politicians are quite capable of doing wrong, I assure you. A majority of the votors are also quite capable of supporting injustices. Slight popularity will never equal infalability.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
The question then becomes does the data here (referencing the Perry study) imply causation. That is to say does the preschool program cause the increase in educational benefits or were there unaccounted for exterior forces that could make the data unusable. I don't know enough about this study to say, I'm just curious to see if anyone else does. If causation can be definitively shown though, then that preschool program looks great.

The question then becomes does the data here (referencing the Perry study) imply causation. That is to say does the preschool program cause the increase in educational benefits or were there unaccounted for exterior forces that could make the data unusable. I don't know enough about this study to say, I'm just curious to see if anyone else does. If causation can be definitively shown though, then that preschool program looks great.

I dont know anything about that study, but having over 100 people remaining in a longitudinal study of that length is pretty crazy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. From what I know, the quasi-experimental conditions were good enough to imply causation. One group got the intervention. The other was on their own.

I'm more shocked that people are actually questioning the benefits of early childhood education. I thought that was a well accepted fact. The Perry study is far from the only research on this topic.

Back