• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina: A state in decline

I'm more shocked that people are actually questioning the benefits of early childhood education. I thought that was a well accepted fact. The Perry study is far from the only research on this topic.

The stuff I have read boils down to poor parenting. The question then is how far should the state (taxpayers) spend to correct this. My concern is getting the most bang for the buck. I do not care about performance in the 5th grade, I wanna know about high school graduation rate, employment, and effect on crime. Perry is interesting on a small sample.

The stuff I have read boils down to poor parenting. The question then is how far should the state (taxpayers) spend to correct this. My concern is getting the most bang for the buck. I do not care about performance in the 5th grade, I wanna know about high school graduation rate, employment, and effect on crime. Perry is interesting on a small sample.

The research is pretty unanimous that early childhood education brings back enormous returns for dollars spent. Do some googling

Agreed, but the trick is to break the cycle (poverty, poor decisions, high school drop outs).

And early childhood education is a quick way to do that. If poor parenting is a problem, give the most vulnerable children 8-10 hours away from their parents and other poor influences along with three meals.

I for one agree that we should go back to the days when it was embarrassing to live off other people's labor.

I suggest that McCrory hand a copy of that letter to all the corporations who are going to flock to this state for the tax breaks when they ask for taxpayer-funded infrastructure, tax breaks for creating jobs, interest free loans from the government, free land bought by the taxpayer, and taxpayer-funded training for all their workers.

ETA: sorry, forgot I was in the Pit and not the Tunnels.

That's great in theory, but if we as a state don't provide those kinds of benefits for companies, they'll just move operations to any if our neighboring states that do (and already offer stronger incentives packages than NC). Then where do your jobs to get people off of unemployment come from?

Agreed, but the trick is to break the cycle (poverty, poor decisions, high school drop outs).

Which won't happen as long as there is more money to be had from government handouts than from actually working at a job (any job). That is why some families are entering generation 3 of living on the governmental dime.

(Cue the neg rep parade ;) )

Which won't happen as long as there is more money to be had from government handouts than from actually working at a job (any job). That is why some families are entering generation 3 of living on the governmental dime.

(Cue the neg rep parade ;) )

What job would you like a 2 year old to get?

And early childhood education is a quick way to do that. If poor parenting is a problem, give the most vulnerable children 8-10 hours away from their parents and other poor influences along with three meals.

Yes, and there have been several studies that show that just giving kids three meals can make a huge difference.

meh. screw those kids with special needs too. who cares, they cost money!

That's great in theory, but if we as a state don't provide those kinds of benefits for companies, they'll just move operations to any if our neighboring states that do (and already offer stronger incentives packages than NC). Then where do your jobs to get people off of unemployment come from?

Oh I'm well aware of that. I think there should be a federal law banning the use of taxpayer dollars for giveaways to private companies - it's horrible for the country as a whole, because all it does is move jobs around between the states based on which state's taxpayers are the most desperate/stupid. But the powers that benefit most from these giveaways will never allow that to happen. So we'll just continue to all take it up the butt and throw money to these wonderful job creators, complaining all the while that we simply can't afford to feed, clothe and educate poor children.

Get rid of giveaways to private companies and lower taxes by that amount. Something for everybody.

Oh I'm well aware of that. I think there should be a federal law banning the use of taxpayer dollars for giveaways to private companies - it's horrible for the country as a whole, because all it does is move jobs around between the states based on which state's taxpayers are the most desperate/stupid. But the powers that benefit most from these giveaways will never allow that to happen. So we'll just continue to all take it up the butt and throw money to these wonderful job creators, complaining all the while that we simply can't afford to feed, clothe and educate poor children.

There is a big difference between giving a company something funded by taxpayers and giving a tax break to the company to keep more of its own money.

There is a big difference between giving a company something funded by taxpayers and giving a tax break to the company to keep more of its own money.

as long as all companies and individuals have access to the same tax breaks, sure. But as you well know, what actually happens is "job creator" comes in and demands freedom from property taxes for 10 years in exchange for creating jobs (i.e., moving them from some other state or locality that won't play ball), or some similar deal. Local business owners don't get that deal, and neither do companies who have quietly grown and grown organically while paying local taxes for years. There is no way to spin that into anything other than spending taxpayer money backended through the tax code so the sheeple don't see the true cost.

What job would you like a 2 year old to get?

If the parent couldn't afford another mouth to feed, perhaps they should have used birth control, abstained from sex, or given the child up for adoption. Unpopular opinion I know, but a realistic one.

FWIW, I oppose the federal government giving handouts to anyone, including corporations of any kind (including banks, auto companies errr unions, etc.).

thread like these are why i don't live in the south. these necks are fucking awful.

If the parent couldn't afford another mouth to feed, perhaps they should have used birth control, abstained from sex, or given the child up for adoption. Unpopular opinion I know, but a realistic one.

FWIW, I oppose the federal government giving handouts to anyone, including corporations of any kind (including banks, auto companies errr unions, etc.).

A lot can happen in 9 months, 2 years, 5 years, 18 years. I guess adoption agencies should be next door to the unemployment line.

Back