• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina ONLY state in the nation to cut off WIC because of shutdown

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
That's right, 49 other states found a way to still fund their programs with contingency funds from the USDA. North Carolina for the dance contingency funds, but somehow decided food for low income families was the first thing to go

http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2013...ouchers-other-states-using-contingency-funds/

IMO, this could be the single biggest indictment of the current government

UPDATE (10/10/2013 5 p.m.): U.S. Rep David Price’s office confirmed with the USDA that enough contingency funds were sent to DHHS to continue the program. Price plans on sending McCrory a letter asking why, given that, NC was the only state to cease issuing vouchers.

Cutting of WIC is just so egregiously wrong. Of all the things that you could cut this has to be the most indefensible.

I look forward to jhmd's defense along with his indictment of the other 49 states.

Any word on how McCrory plans on spending that USDA money?

Man, if McCrory has any sense at all, he will clean house at DHHS. The incompetence there is staggering.

Wow. jhmd has got to be pissed.

Glad they changed course. Actually living out Republican dreams has real life nightmares for many Americans.

Consider me shocked---SHOCKED!---that government's insincere promise to provide for wants and needs wasn't fulfilled. If only we could have seen this coming....

Consider me shocked---SHOCKED!---that government's insincere promise to provide for wants and needs wasn't fulfilled. If only we could have seen this coming....

It was fulfilled in every other state in the country, except our own.

It's got to be great news for hungry people that you're not always wrong.

what are you talking about?

I still can't tell what you think about the decision to cut off WIC funding, despite getting emergency funds from the USDA to keep the program going. Do you agree with that decision?

jhmd, can you provide a link about Food Lion's long term plan to provide support for WIC so taxpayers don't have to?

And which churches and religious organizations stepped up?

Thanks.

Step 1: F up the government
Step 2: Complain government is Fd up
Step 3: Return to Step 1

what are you talking about?

I still can't tell what you think about the decision to cut off WIC funding, despite getting emergency funds from the USDA to keep the program going. Do you agree with that decision?

I think it is dumb to cut off WIC funding to people who need it.

I think it is also dangerous and irresponsible to conceive children you can't afford feed, and expect other people to feed them for you. Other people will invariably fail to meet your needs for you. We need to focus our subsidies on people who need the help, b/c invariably, the funds will run out---as this case obviously shows.

jhmd, can you provide a link about Food Lion's long term plan to provide support for WIC so taxpayers don't have to?

And which churches and religious organizations stepped up?

Thanks.

Glad you asked: http://www.samaritanforsyth.org/ One right turn from Wake's campus. Feel free to stop by and introduce yourself (maybe take noted philanthropist Joe Biden with you), and tell them I said hello.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Back