• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina ONLY state in the nation to cut off WIC because of shutdown

Hey look you do have a soul and a brain. You should use them more often

It's b/c I have both that I know you can't keep lying to people and telling them that you're going to provide for their every want and need (you can't, says the brain), and it is wrong for you to do so (soul). We should bend our policies towards reason and compassion.

Our friends at the Samaritan Ministries have never had a shutdown or a deficit. We should use the tools that actually work to help people. Not ones that history show always fail over the long run.

It's b/c I have both that I know you can't keep lying to people and telling them that you're going to provide for their every want and need (you can't, says the brain), and it is wrong for you to do so (soul). We should bend our policies towards reason and compassion.

Our friends at the Samaritan Ministries have never had a shutdown or a deficit. We should use the tools that actually work to help people. Not ones that history show always fail over the long run.

"every want and need" or "a baseline amount of food needed to survive and keep your children from starving since the capitalist free market has failed you"

Let's get back to the real focus of this thread. History has certainly shown that the people running DHHS are idiots both at the substance of doing their jobs (you know, providing Health and Human Services) and at the task of at least making the optics of failure look better.

If you think the social safety net provides for every want and need for its recipients, I'm sure you would be fine going on welfare and food stamps for a few months, right? And only getting by on what you get from those programs?

Glad you asked: http://www.samaritanforsyth.org/ One right turn from Wake's campus. Feel free to stop by and introduce yourself (maybe take noted philanthropist Joe Biden with you), and tell them I said hello.

You're welcome.

You realize that they receive nearly $200,000 in government assistance each year, right?

That was about 15% of their revenue in 2012. Their actual food cost is a little over $110,000.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2012/561/490/2012-561490019-08fa0ac6-9.pdf

Last edited:
"every want and need" or "a baseline amount of food needed to survive and keep your children from starving since the capitalist free market has failed you"

Why settle for a baseline that runs three generations (and counting)? Why not do much, much better, by shaping policies in a way that help build people that can break the cycle? Show me the policies you are in favor of that do that, and we'll talk. As it is, the insincere and unfulfillable promise of a "baseline" seems like a crappy plan.

If you think the social safety net provides for every want and need for its recipients, I'm sure you would be fine going on welfare and food stamps for a few months, right? And only getting by on what you get from those programs?

I don't want that for my family, but the difference between us is that I don't want that for theirs either. You seen quite content with it.

I don't want that for my family, but the difference between us is that I don't want that for theirs either. You seen quite content with it.

I'm sorry, but I didn't read that into his post. It's almost like you made it up.

Why settle for a baseline that runs three generations (and counting)? Why not do much, much better, by shaping policies in a way that help build people that can break the cycle? Show me the policies you are in favor of that do that, and we'll talk. As it is, the insincere and unfulfillable promise of a "baseline" seems like a crappy plan.

A LOT more funding for public education, realistic sex education for high school students, free and easy access to contraception, tax breaks/government backed loans for small businesses and entrepreneurs instead of big corporations shopping for the lowest state tax burden for their new factory.

Now you go

You realize that they receive nearly $200,000 in government assistance each year, right?

That was about 15% of their revenue in 2012. Their actual food cost is a little over $110,000.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2012/561/490/2012-561490019-08fa0ac6-9.pdf

That organization exists b/c of donations of time and money, as your own data shows the supermajority of which comes from private sources (of which I'm happy to include myself in both). Do they receive a small portion of their operating budget from public money sources, sure, but they do a heck of a lot better with it than most.

That organization exists b/c of donations of time and money, as your own data shows the supermajority of which comes from private sources (of which I'm happy to include myself in both). Do they receive a small portion of their operating budget from public money sources, sure, but they do a heck of a lot better with it than most.

I don't disagree, but they also spend a large portion of their resources raising money. Take a look at their expenditures. They spend almost as much raising money as they do actually providing food. I'm all for the nonprofit sector that's what my masters degree is in, but it's a fallacy to assume that reductions in public funding results in growth in the social sector to fill the gaps. Historically, the opposite has always been true. Reagan made this miscalculation and really hurt a lot of nonprofits. He corrected his mistake with his later budgets.

I'm sorry, but I didn't read that into his post. It's almost like you made it up.

We're sixty years in to these policies and the problem is as bad as it has ever been. If you're still advocating for them, you're advocating for the results, no?

Let's get back to the real focus of this thread. History has certainly shown that the people running DHHS are idiots both at the substance of doing their jobs (you know, providing Health and Human Services) and at the task of at least making the optics of failure look better.

You need to recognize who has been along for the ride, and in many cases steering the ship of idiocy with respect to investigations and enforcement, for the past 13 years.

We're sixty years in to these policies and the problem is as bad as it has ever been. If you're still advocating for them, you're advocating for the results, no?

Just gonna have to disagree that people at the poverty line have it as bad or worse than they did in the 1930's and 40's

You need to recognize who has been along for the ride, and in many cases steering the ship of idiocy with respect to investigations and enforcement, for the past 13 years.

Most of the longer term employees of DHHS (at least hte ones with authority) left when Secretary Wos came in. So she and McCrory's cronies are the only ones responsible for this bullshit

The Food Bank in Winston receives $4.5MM in government funding. That's about 20% of their budget. Sure a large majority comes from other sources, but don't assume that they can provide the same service level (which is still not adequate) without that funding. This is also all taking place in a city the size of Winston-Salem. There is no way in hell that a rural community can absorb the costs of a six-figure fundraising budget.

How do you avoid poverty (over the long haul)?

I'm not going around in this circle with you. I disputed something you said, you changed the question.

I already outlined the policies I support that I believe would help people break the cycle of poverty. Coincidentally, there is one party that supports most of those policies, and one that doesn't.

Most of the longer term employees of DHHS (at least hte ones with authority) left when Secretary Wos came in. So she and McCrory's cronies are the only ones responsible for this bullshit

The history of DHHS' idiocy (as mentioned by 923) didn't begin in 2012. Try again.

Back