• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notre Dame Game Officially 8 PM on ABC

My perception is that they don't have many "Wal-Mart" fans anymore since they haven't been very good in the past decade.

You've already been dumped on enough, so I'll keep it short. This is crazy logic. The Dallas Cowboys haven't been very good for over a decade and they still have tons of bandwagon fans across the country.

I think they actually have to sell your school's stuff at WalMart before you can be considered to have a "WalMart" portion of your fanbase. I've yet to see the section of a WalMart overflowing with cheaply-priced Wake gear like I have with the Carolina and Duke stuff.

There are definitely some non-alum Wake fans who sit around me in Section 9, and they are always loud in pulling for the Deacs. Those are the kind of fans we need, and I don't think anyone dumping on Carolina's "WalMart" fans is saying anything at all about non-alum Wake fans.

they do in winston

Every Catholic I know (which includes half of my cousins) is an automatic ND fan. If they actually attended another university, their alma mater MIGHT be their #1, but not always. Strange...

As a Catholic, I have a father, brother, and many cousins who have ND as their #1. None of them went there.

Very interesting. My Catholic family hates Notre Dame more than any other school. Those who went to Catholic schools did GTown or St. Johns.

ND Alums - Triad

They're coming....

http://eastnc.undclub.org/s/1210/images/gid349/editor_documents/PDF/oct11.pdf ( see page 3 )

"Looking for Notre Dame / Wake Forest tickets? The club will raffle it‘s last pair of
ND/WF tickets
at either the Purdue or the Air Force game (stay tuned for details about
which game). The cost per raffle ticket is $20. What a deal!!! A chance to win 2 ND/WF
tickets for just $20!!! There are no limits on the amount of raffle tickets you can buy and we
will sell raffle tickets through the end of the third quarter. The winner will be drawn early in
the 4th quarter. You must be present to win the tickets!!!
We look forward to seeing you there!!!! This year we will not be sending out EVITEs. RSVP "

http://centralnc.undclub.org/s/1210/clubs-interior.aspx?sid=1210&gid=318&pgid=2142

http://centralnc.undclub.org/s/1210/clubs-interior.aspx?&gid=318&pgid=61

Pep Rally = " Limited to 500 persons "

can we please stop calling non-alumni fans Walmart fans? With such a small alumni base, we should understand better than anyone how important it is to have fans that have no direct connection to the school.

Calling someone else's fans Walmart fans seems so LOWF.

I think some of you are confusing a non-alum fan with a WalMart fan. Let's use WFU and UNC as an example:
A non-alum Wake fan usually has a connection to the school, either b/c a relative went there, they live in or around Winston, a kid from their hometown plays or played there, they or their child attended a sports camp there, they identified with a particular player or team of the past, etc. Most often they "get" that we are a small, private good academic institution and in some way they identify with that. If we were to get charged with a bunch of major violations for cheating of having a coach who was in cahoots with professional agents they probably would be at least a little concerned to hear it. Looking at a non-alum Wake fan's Deacon attire, yard signs, car decals, etc. you would be hard-pressed to say if he/she is an alum or non-alum. I'm sure UNC has some of these non-alum fans as well.
Contrast that with a UNC WalMart fan. Oftimes he couldn't find Chapel Hill without a map, but "I've been a Heel fan all my life; it's in my blood man!" (and maybe so, but more likely b/c all thier classmates in grade school were so they jumped on the bandwagon to be part of the crowd). A WalMart fan will ask you who you "pull for", and when you say "Wake" they give you a puzzled look and say "humm..really?!?!...well, o.k.", and when you explain that you went to school there (you know, spent 4 years of your life there) they give you that "o.k., but what does that have to do with who you pull for?" look. That same fan will give you shit on Monday at work b/c "we" beat "you", while your UNC alumni buddies usually have moved on to something else by the time they see you next. A WalMart fan in his 30's may have a big Ram decal on his rear truck window, a equally big "UNC" on both quarter panels and a UNC license plate on the front with one of those chain-link frames while wearing a UNC basketball tank jersey and and a backwards UNC hat. Most alumni of UNC or any other school would feel silly as hell with all that crap. A WalMart fan could care less if his school cheats or the players go to class. A UNC WalMart fan cares only about football and basketball; the non-alum Wake fan thinks it's cool that Simpson and Haas battled it out for the FedEx.
I'd love to have more non-alum Wake fans, but they probably won't be of the WalMart variety; that's a breed unto itself.

I think some of you are confusing a non-alum fan with a WalMart fan. Let's use WFU and UNC as an example:
A non-alum Wake fan usually has a connection to the school, either b/c a relative went there, they live in or around Winston, a kid from their hometown plays or played there, they or their child attended a sports camp there, they identified with a particular player or team of the past, etc. Most often they "get" that we are a small, private good academic institution and in some way they identify with that. If we were to get charged with a bunch of major violations for cheating of having a coach who was in cahoots with professional agents they probably would be at least a little concerned to hear it. Looking at a non-alum Wake fan's Deacon attire, yard signs, car decals, etc. you would be hard-pressed to say if he/she is an alum or non-alum.
I'm sure UNC has some of these non-alum fans as well.
Contrast that with a UNC WalMart fan. Oftimes he couldn't find Chapel Hill without a map, but "I've been a Heel fan all my life; it's in my blood man!" (and maybe so, but more likely b/c all thier classmates in grade school were so they jumped on the bandwagon to be part of the crowd). A WalMart fan will ask you who you "pull for", and when you say "Wake" they give you a puzzled look and say "humm..really?!?!...well, o.k.", and when you explain that you went to school there (you know, spent 4 years of your life there) they give you that "o.k., but what does that have to do with who you pull for?" look. That same fan will give you shit on Monday at work b/c "we" beat "you", while your UNC alumni buddies usually have moved on to something else by the time they see you next. A WalMart fan in his 30's may have a big Ram decal on his rear truck window, a equally big "UNC" on both quarter panels and a UNC license plate on the front with one of those chain-link frames while wearing a UNC basketball tank jersey and and a backwards UNC hat. Most alumni of UNC or any other school would feel silly as hell with all that crap. A WalMart fan could care less if his school cheats or the players go to class. A UNC WalMart fan cares only about football and basketball; the non-alum Wake fan thinks it's cool that Simpson and Haas battled it out for the FedEx.
I'd love to have more non-alum Wake fans, but they probably won't be of the WalMart variety; that's a breed unto itself.
Pos rep. You pretty much nailed what a non-alum fan (such as myself) is. I hate when people get the bandwagon fans mixed up with the real fans, just because said real fan didn't go to that school.

A non-alum Wake fan usually has a connection to the school, either b/c a relative went there, they live in or around Winston, a kid from their hometown plays or played there, they or their child attended a sports camp there, they identified with a particular player or team of the past, etc. Most often they "get" that we are a small, private good academic institution and in some way they identify with that. If we were to get charged with a bunch of major violations for cheating of having a coach who was in cahoots with professional agents they probably would be at least a little concerned to hear it. Looking at a non-alum Wake fan's Deacon attire, yard signs, car decals, etc. you would be hard-pressed to say if he/she is an alum or non-alum. I'm sure UNC has some of these non-alum fans as well.

This is an amazing post...spot on my man...spot on

This is the correct answer. Johnny, tell him what he's won.

Soooo estimates on how many ND fans will be there? This girl in my law school class claims that ND fans bought up all our season tickets.

Soooo estimates on how many ND fans will be there? This girl in my law school class claims that ND fans bought up all our season tickets.

Then, she really has zero business being in law school and will probably have some innocent person lethally injected.

It's a matter of tastes.

can we please stop calling non-alumni fans Walmart fans? With such a small alumni base, we should understand better than anyone how important it is to have fans that have no direct connection to the school.

Calling someone else's fans Walmart fans seems so LOWF.

Our fans are target fans.

Then, she really has zero business being in law school and will probably have some innocent person lethally injected.

Well that's definitely clear, but for other reasons as well. Her bitchassness is making me want this game almost as bad as UNC.

Which makes sense considering we've been at over 100% capacity for every game this season...all of those ND fans must enjoy Wake Forest football.

One of the best posts on this subject ever. And whoever that was that is dating the ND girl I think was also spot on.

I would give Wake and ND similar rankings...
WF - Alumni>Non-Alumni>>>>>>>>>>>>Wal-Mart
ND - Non-alumni>Alumni>>>>>>>>>>>>Wal-Mart

In the Mid-West it is much easier to be a Wal-Mart fan of a Big Ten school like IU, Purdue, tOSU or Michigan. One thing Wake and ND share (unfortunately) that will prevent us from ever (hopefully) having "Wal-Mart fans" is we are rich/arrogant/spoiled/preppy.

one thing wake and ND don't share is that wake isn't beholden to a bunch of child molesters

Fantastic post.

So its locked in for a 7pm kickoff now, right?

No. IMHO, it depends if Wake wins on Saturday. If we win, then I think we are looking at 8:00 pm on ABC. If we lose, then I think it's 7:00 pm.

Back