• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NYC raising age for cigs to 21

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
WOW!!

Supposedly NJ and HI are considering the same.

ahhh...the good ole nanny state

Raising the age for obesity to 21 would be far more beneficial.

So a US Marine back from defending our Freedom and Liberty in the oil fields and poppy fields of the Middle East can't buy a pack of butts unless he is 21?

They are also thinking about adding taxes to bring the cost of a pack to over $10.

When we were at Wake, Winn Dixie sold cartons for $1.88. The Sundry Shop gouged students $0.35 for a pack.

I remember when me and Lou Reed were laying down tracks and Stevie Wonder came in and told us that the only way we could get out of this place was if the Mayor of New Orleans sister in law came in and told the Sheriff that we had to pitch a movie to some Japaneses business men and she bailed us out.

I posted this just because so many people sent me PM's asking me if my hair was really that curly.

one of the most adult drugs there is in terms of physical dependence and addictive potential, and the usual ROA is inherently and severely damaging to your lungs over time, as the only thing you're lungs are truly meant to breathe is 79% nitrogen, 20% O2, and 1% other. also very possible to fatally OD (though rare) if you wanna play around with ROAs as nicotine is also the deadliest of the common recreational drugs mg per mg.

All-in-all a good regulatory move, will benefit our country in the long term even if we miss out on some revenue in the short. Keep on with the education, and the numbers are gonna keep dropping.

Meanwhile RJR is preping for the eventual legalization of Marijuana (also lung damaging if smoked but anyway beyond this topic...)

Just wait until we are a few years further down the road of Obamacare when the federal government starts targeting behaviors such as smoking and eating fast food, and justifies it because those things drive medical costs up for all of us.

one of the most adult drugs there is in terms of physical dependence and addictive potential, and the usual ROA is inherently and severely damaging to your lungs over time, as the only thing you're lungs are truly meant to breathe is 79% nitrogen, 20% O2, and 1% other. also very possible to fatally OD (though rare) if you wanna play around with ROAs as nicotine is also the deadliest of the common recreational drugs mg per mg.

All-in-all a good regulatory move, will benefit our country in the long term even if we miss out on some revenue in the short. Keep on with the education, and the numbers are gonna keep dropping.

Meanwhile RJR is preping for the eventual legalization of Marijuana (also lung damaging if smoked but anyway beyond this topic...)

But very few take the several hundred hits of pot a day like they do with a pack a day of cigarettes. Plus pot doesn't have the same chemicals.

Just wait until we are a few years further down the road of Obamacare when the federal government starts targeting behaviors such as smoking and eating fast food, and justifies it because those things drive medical costs up for all of us.

Thanks Michelle Obama.

18 is adult enough to get your head blown off by an IED, then it is old enough to choose to "play around with ROAs," don't you think? By this logic the age should 21 to sign up for American military don't you think? Also, driving a car is very adult and causes many many fatalities a year. Driving age should be 21 too, right?

18 is adult enough to get your head blown off by an IED, then it is old enough to choose to "play around with ROAs," don't you think? By this logic the age should 21 to sign up for American military don't you think? Also, driving a car is very adult and causes many many fatalities a year. Driving age should be 21 too, right?

This. Babble the stats all you want, but if you're old enough to die (brutally, I might add) in service to our country, you're old enough to make some fucking choices for yourself.

smokers are boobs. if this cuts back on the number of morons standing around the entrance to buildings over the long run and cheaper healthcare, I'm for it.

good post. you should definitely have to be over 21 to go to war in the context of our current society. the driving example is more interesting. i'll try to get back to you about this post next week, because I want to address the actual underlying substance of your post and not just blow you off by superficially addressing only your two examples. though the first example is an easy yes.

i think i can safely say that in principal, in general, i do not like the idea of setting arbitrary ages on doing things for which there are no moral implications, that you do in private, to yourself. after 15 mins of sober thinking after seeing your post, though, i *think* i de facto i support this particular move, though, and I'll list the specific reasons why in this case later.

i know: "i'll get back to you" is weak sauce code for "i'm in error/wrong and gonna leave the argument now," but i actually will get back to you just not this particular friday.

But very few take the several hundred hits of pot a day like they do with a pack a day of cigarettes. Plus pot doesn't have the same chemicals.

i don't understand what you mean RJ?

smokers are boobs. if this cuts back on the number of morons standing around the entrance to buildings over the long run and cheaper healthcare, I'm for it.

yeah yeah yeah boobs and morons. If you don't like cigarettes, fine. But this country was built by and has been defended on the battlefield by men who smoked and drank. The holier than thou attitude about smoking in America is pussified. I smoke 4 or 5 cigs a day after work with a cocktail. If that makes me a moron or a boob then go fuck yourself :noidea:

I don't mind smokers being marginalized at all (sorry W&B). I don't mind laws that reduce the numbers of college smokers, either. Smoking is one of those dumb things that still hangs around long after everyone knows better, but with the added bonus that it directly affects others in the near vicinity of the person doing it. I'll admit to my opinions in this area being in total contradiction, but I don't feel the same way about smoking and drinking, or even whether marijuana should be legal (it should, but only for cost-benefit purposes IMO). Drinking age should be 18, marijuana should be legal and highly regulated, and smoking should become so damn difficult and expensive to do that people eventually stop doing it. It does nothing but kill you slowly. This is from a former regular smoker.

Last edited:
Back